Limerick GAA 2022 - Dual Kings (Part 1)

It depends on the system that we are playing. In the current system half forward would appear the best position. You wouldnā€™t call Diarmuid Byrnes the best distributor of the ball and he is doing well at half back (unless you wanted the ball distributed over to the car park in Dunnes).

I think Byrnes is an unbelievable distributor. He likes a potshot, but his delivery is phenomenal when he does deliver it. How many scores does Gillane get from Byrnes putting a perfect ball into space?

Maybe Josh would be better at the overlapping full-back role that Kyle played last year but even then, Kyle knows when to run and knows when to pass (and is very good at delivering ball) which I would worry about Josh.

3 Likes

Byrnes gives unbelievable ball into the forward line. The odd potshot has led to this notion that he just belts it. Heā€™s also brilliant working it through the hands

1 Like

We cant pick Josh Ryan lads. If weā€™d another fella six foot six theyā€™d be looking to bring in a height restriction

Yeah, and really the quality of ball heā€™s capable of delivering makes the potshot wides even more frustrating. The day against Tipp in the league semi-final in 2018 was the worst by a mile; and since then, heā€™s largely kept a rein on it to just a handful.

I can see why management allow him do it though, keeps teams honest. If the opposition half-forwards are dropping back the field to contest against Hegarty & Morrissey and Byrnes is pinging points over, it forces them to make a choice.

Ah yeah, heā€™s absolutely capable of nailing a few long range ones so I think if the shot is on heā€™s encouraged to take it without getting bawled out of it

Iā€™d imagine the simple reason the management never get overly bothered by wides is because how good we are on opposition puck outs.

I thought in the 2018 all Ireland final it was clear limerick were determined to get the ball dead before being turned over.

Even somebody like David Reidy who comes on to close games out seems trigger happy at times but I wonder is he instructed to ensure heā€™s not turned over and shoot before losing possession.

When the ball is dead thereā€™s no excuses to not have your defence in order.

1 Like

If the limerick hurlers played the limerick footballers in a football game what do you think the final score would be?

2-14 to 1-12

Its simple maths. If byrnes hits 50% of shots from his own 65 then thats a better return than him playing the ball into the corner where a point might only come 30% of the time. Iā€™ve made up the stats, but thatā€™s the logic

1 Like

Narrow victory for the footballers, fitness & Danny Neville to prevail.

The hurlers would have a powerful midfield and a handful of decent forwards in Casey, Dempsey, Morrissey & English. Short on ballplaying backs however.

1 Like

And a goalkeeper?

Darren is a serious oul footballer too.

DoD is a very good footballer as well isnā€™t he?

Name the hurlers 15. Oā€™Donovan, English, Hegarty, WOD, Pat Ryan have played senior club who am I missing? The vast majority of the rest of them have barely kicked a ball since they were minor, some of them probably even before that. The footballers would bate the bollox off em ffs

Yes, I forgot Cinneide (clue in the name). I disagree on Oā€™Connell.

Peter Casey & David Dempsey have played senior.

Kyle & Darren have played for us, serious threats. Kyle is phenomenal at fielding and Darrenā€™s pace makes him a nightmare.

Mark Quinlan is a classy footballer, centre-back for sure.

Football team (made from the hurling panel)

Hayes (tall and strong, ticks all the boxes as a ā€˜keeper)

Quaid, Dan, M Casey

Connolly, Flanagan, A Breen

WOD & Hegarty

Dempsey, DOD, Darren Oā€™Connell

Pat Simon, Tom, English

Iā€™ve left out the Patrickswell lads as it would be heresy for them to see a football. Ditto Mul.

Footballers to win, something like 3-15 to 1-10.

Youā€™ve to name the hurling 15 for the footballers now

And give us an overall score