Limerick GAA 2022 - Dual Kings (Part 1)

Club rugby is in even worse shape than GAA.

4 Likes

Would South Liberties pull any from Raheen or Dooradoyle?

Id say a few fathers would send their kids out alright

1 Like

Between Mungret and themselves the raw materials are there at that side of the city to be doing much better

Crecora?

They need to get coaches in the schools, full time, proper coaches.

They aren’t lifting hurleys until they’re 8 or 9

Yes

Where exactly are South Liberties based?

Has hurling ever been as strong in the city? Traditionally it was a distant 3rd behind soccer and rugger. It usually had one strong hurling side and rest v weak. Monaleen won the hurling feile last wk and for a football club are doing well hurling whilst Mungret would one of the strongest underage setups in the county. Na P gone well back at underage? You’d imagine the All Ire successes will see the urban clubs get bigger numbers at underage.

South of the City

Ballysheedy I was thinking would be a half n half kind of place alright. Borders probably fairly blurred around there. I’d imagine the ring road is a kind of de facto boundary at this stage.

1 Like

South of the city quite a bit. Rural location but has a boundary with a whole pile of the south side of the city.

1 Like

That means nothing to me to be honest.

Is it near The Hospital?

Its a funny one alright. Ballybricken are right alongside Liberties catchment area.

South Liberties seem to be picking up lads from everywhere now though at senior level. (Ken Byrnes from Old Christians) a big recent example. They don’t have great numbers underage on their own.

Amalgamated with Crecora at u17,19 and u21 I think now.

1 Like

And similar to Ballybricken it’s a grand big rural area with fuck all villages tied to it. Crecora would be the similar. Doon, Pallas, Cappamore, Murroe, Caherconlish/line etc by contrast in the East all centred on villages.

Crecora have gone through a fair few amalgamations underage over the past 10 years ?

Doon, Pallas, Cappamore, Murroe and Caherconlish have bigger populations. All of those clubs would have a couple of housing estates in their villages.

Tradition is a thing too. South Liberties have probably over achieved numbers wise…but have familys like the Nashs etc.

A couple of strong families like that make a huge difference regardless of numbers I suppose to an extent.

Limerick county has very few towns to the east and south, mostly small villages. That leaves the clubs without a population base and limited commuter belt growth. All the development is on the city suburbs

1 Like

They don’t have the numbers really. They were hit badly by emigration 12 years ago. They’re only taking football half seriously over the last 5 or 6 years.

Very hard to combine both with a small pool of players.

Underage is a mixed bag for every club in Limerick more or less outside of the top clubs tbf.

1 Like

Places like Kilmallock and Doon are the ideal size to build a club.

Big enough to have numbers, but small enough to have a sense of community and togetherness.

Monaleen and Mungret would be tinpot places where people probably don’t know who’s living beside them and wouldn’t know what parish they even live in.