Limerick GAA 2022 - Dual Kings (Part 1)

It was more just the fact they haven’t settled with any one club to amalgamate with?

There was Tory Gaels, which I think was themselves and Croom, another combo with themselves and Fedamore?

I wouldnt know mate. I reckon its the same as any club where their first team is Junior A level - you’ve peaks and troughs at underage.

I’d prefer any club to try and make it on your own first. You know yourself .you might have 20 good lads at u16 and then 4 or 5 at u14.

The u16 group end up being joined up then when they probably didnt need to be to ensure the u14s are playing games.

That is happening across Limerick in smaller clubs. Its far from ideal. But it is a reality.

Its a tricky one.

2 Likes

Was there a day he didn’t

1 Like

The Howard family has a great hurling tradition. His father payed with pallasgreen and was both feared and respected for some twenty years through the 50s, 60s and 70s. They originally hail from kilteely and have links there still.

The Boston connection also extends to the Christophers football club where Limerick players get a good welcome

2 Likes

A great family. Old Jim Howard passed away a few years ago . Jim was originally from Pallas which probably came out in his sons playing exploits. They are related to the Lohans on their mother’s side. The Howard’s are the nicest family from what I know of them off the field.

2 Likes

Big thing for Kilmallock over the years was having the field dead centre of the town.

5 Likes

Yep it’s a massive thing and much better off have one pitch in centre of the town than have 5 pitches and a big complex 2 miles outside it.

1 Like

Cloyne have 2 fields inside in the village, two separate sides of the village

2 Likes

No county championships though.

It’s a great point regarding pitch location.

They also have good sized secondary schools with hurling as the core sports which keeps lads together. Hospital will also benefit from this in the next few years. Other clubs around the city have their kids spread to the four winds and your fucked if the kids from you club end up in places like the Crescent and to a slightly lesser extent Clements

1 Like

The way hurling was let die in Sextons was a fucking sin and is why clubs like Christians and Claughan are fucked

8 Likes

The Croom connection would be the natural one as its actually Crecora Manister GAA club. Manister would traditionally have been associated with Croom. Ballybricken are joined with Fedamore underage now.

1 Like

Are they still going? They don’t have adult teams afaik

There’s no hurling worth talking about in Kilmallock secondary. Now that its a community school taking in lads from Bruff, Kilfinane, Athlacca, Bruree should be doing a lot better.

1 Like

Treaty were the force in the day out the northside . They had a commemorative book out a few years back. My grandfather played with them in the 50s.

1 Like

Its the same with the rubby. With pa healy Road there’s pissing distance between Richmond and Mary’s the 2 junior clubs in town

1 Like

ASR love poaching their best young talents.

Clarkey used to drive a Golf in there to go to school.

I got my first real headbutt off a young fella from your way at an energizer. Think I met his misses/cousin. Nose was in bits. Textbook

1 Like

Fellas came from all over limerick to hurl there. Then you’d lads like the Grimes’from Claughan hurling at a high level, you’d have 30 lads training at a high level with the school.

It got so bad while I was there I started centre forward against Wolfe tonnes on bobby mcphillips and I couldn’t hurl spuds to ducks

1 Like