Limerick GAA 2022 - Dual Kings (Part 1)

Any scorers on Monaleen vs Adare game or reports about?

You’ve only 4758 posts to catch up on.

Look to the future lad. :wink:

Bad game. Monaleen a huge disappointment. I really thought Adare were there for the taking and even in the first 15/20 minutes, it looked like they were. Adare got a goal to go 5 points up and the Monaleen heads dropped. Tactically, they played some suicidal stuff; they left acres of space in front of the Adare full-forward line and Willie went to town.

It had been an even enough game up until the goal; Jamie Power took a short puckout, intercepted by Willie. Willie put the head down, ran at goal, drew the man and popped the pass to Mark Connolly who buried it. Connolly was a constant threat alongside Willie inside. Monaleen had been well in the game but allowed Adare get the next 5 points aswell and that was it. They missed a goal chance at the end of the half which maybe would have kept them in touch but largely it was very disappointing.

Their full-forward line got a few balls with which they could have done a bit of damage, the Adare full-back line is there to be hurt with the right ball but they just didn’t take their men on. Lyons played way too far up the field while also not man marking Hannon. Dec didn’t do much moving tbh, he wasn’t great but still got a few points, quick turns & over the bar.

John Fitz sat deep at centre-back, Wayne Mac dropped into the space in front; Mike Keane & James Gahan worked hard on the wings. Mike got a fine goal at the end, just waltzed through the Monaleen backs and buried from close range. Soft goal to concede but it was well gone at that stage.

So yeah, Adare impressive, Monaleen very unimpressive. Kildimo/Pallas play Monaleen next Friday night now.

9 Likes

Spot on bud. :+1:t2:

Willie back at it? He’s some operator

1 Like

He was struggling with a hamstring injury over the past few weeks but he was class tonight, man of the match for sure. They couldn’t handle him at all. Now, I’d have sympathy for the Monaleen full-back line because they were hung out to dry. You give Willie that space and he’ll hurt you if the ball is going in.

And to be fair, in Fitzgibbon, Connolly and Jody Hannon; they have a half-back line who are comfortable on the ball. Connolly is a superb stickman.

1 Like

I’d say you’re fancying your chances after tonight.

How was Wayne Mc? Big addition back for them if he’s anyway right

I told ye he’d destroy that full back line

See, I always fancied our chances. A result like that is nearly the worst possible thing because there’s no way Monaleen could possibly be as bad again and now they’re desperate aswell.

Wayne was good, yeah, adds much needed bite around the middle for Adare. A lot of “unseen work”; simple things done well.

1 Like

Conor Nicholas didn’t play either tbf, a big loss. But he wouldn’t have stood a chance either with the space.

1 Like

Hannon at 11 is very clever by adare cos he’ll draw the attention of a man and all he has to do is hang back and there’ll be one space in front of the full back line unless there is a sweeper.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s one of those tactical moves teams like to employ; it creates the stick-or-twist scenario. To be honest, Lorcan Lyons was caught between the two. He didn’t protect the space and he wasn’t close enough to Hannon either. I don’t know what his instructions were, I don’t know whether you’d blame him or whether it was a systems failure.

Monaleen were trying to operate a similar system with Mark O’Dwyer. John Fitz had no interest in marking, he sat on his own '45 and Wayne did the dog work in front of him. Now, Hannon is better than O’Dwyer but it was a similar tactical dilemma; because O’Dwyer will pick off scores from distance all day long if he’s let. Adare dealt with it a lot better than Monaleen. You can’t let Hannon free at club level, but neither can you leave the space. Monaleen didn’t deal with either though and that’s why they got bate so badly.

Also monaleen don’t have a willie Griffin inside so half the decision is already made for you. You need two killers, one inside and one outside to make it work.

Monaleen are watery as fuck

3 Likes

They could have put La Touche inside and at least made them think. I was very disappointed with him tbh; a few nice touches at times and won a few balls but nowhere near clinical enough. Got turned over a lot.

Gerry Collins started inside and he’s lost a touch of pace. Not the threat he used to be.

What age would Collins be now? Always more of a footballer too to be fair wasnt he.

Monaleen have zero dog in them and never had

2 Likes

He was on the minor team in 2005 iirc, so he’d be 33/34.

Played intercounty football but would have always favoured the hurling with Monaleen. Pretty sure he dropped down to junior football for a bit last year to focus on the hurling.

1 Like

They could do with a nasty cunt like WOD in their ranks alright. Someone to win dirty ball and won’t just let opposition teams walk all over you.

They’ve a savage advantage demographically. With the strides Ashling Annacotty are making in soccer - its surely only a matter of time that they do become seriously competitive at senior level id say.

Would be positive for Limerick - Mungret are in a similar position too.

Might be 10 years off but thats where the population is growing the most.

1 Like