Limerick GAA 2022 - Dual Kings (Part 1)

It was Monaleen they beat anyway

So weā€™re in a position in Senior & Intermediate where the losers of the first round fixtures play the teams who got a bye, which means itā€™s do-or-die for those losing teams in terms of avoiding relegation. And realistically, in a lot of cases, itā€™s do-or-die for the other team aswell, as generally the team who won in that first round will be strong favourites to win again. In Premier Intermediate & Junior, thereā€™s maybe a bit more leeway but there were a couple of upsets in Round 1, so there could be a few favoured teams pretty much gone by the end of this weekend. After only getting 14/24 in the first round of fixtures, Iā€™m hoping that now, with a bit more context on form, that this will be easier to predict (although 8 teams are playing their first game this weekend).

Senior A Group 1

Kilmallock (1/5) vs Ballybrown (7/2)

I was impressed with an under-strength Kilmallock the other day, their performance was a lot better than I was expecting in the circumstances, they really put it up to Na Piarsaigh. However, they still came away with a 10-point defeat and I donā€™t think moral victories are much comfort to them. They just werenā€™t clinical enough, and now need to beat Ballybrown on Saturday night to avoid a relegation play-off down to Senior B. A lot of people were tipping Ballybrown to cause an upset earlier in the year, and they did start very well. However, they donā€™t seem to be in a great place; Ger Bradley, their coach, left them a few weeks ago. I donā€™t know whether Mikey Kiely will be available with the move to Ulster Rugby and obviously one of their top forwards, Shane Kenny (RIP), is no longer with us. Even with Luke Oā€™Connor & Ned Quinn added, they wouldnā€™t seem to be as strong as last year. Do Hack & Joe Oā€™Connor have the tactical nous to take down one of the big teams?

As I said, I was impressed with Kilmallock in defeat the last day. Even without Paddy Oā€™Loughlin, Jake & Graeme Mul and Kevin Oā€™Donnell; they are able to name very good senior club players. Gavin had a field day inside at full-forward to be honest, Robbie Hanley had a stormer in midfield and Woulfe picked off some lovely scores from out the field. I think if Graeme had been available, they would have won. If heā€™s available this weekend, I think they will definitely get the win. Without him, they are definitely weaker and they missed a lot of chances last weekend. Iā€™d still give them a hesitant nod, although I think they are there to be caught if they donā€™t deliver a performance at least of the same intensity as last week. Aidan Oā€™Connor has the potential to do a lot of damage for Ballybrown, but I think Josh Adams moving back to centre-back weakens Ballybrownā€™s attack too much and Iā€™m going to go with Kilmallock by 5.

Senior A Group 2

Patrickswell (2/7) vs Ahane (11/4)

Doon were definitely the better team against the Well last weekend, but they fought to the very end, even with 13 men and only fell by one in the end. They were level at half-time despite playing the entire 35 minutes with only 14 men. Although Doon seemed to actually get better when they were also reduced to 14, maybe the exertions of the first half had taken it out of Patrickswell. But theyā€™re now without their captain, Kevin Oā€™Brien, and a good wing-back in Paudie Maher this weekend. Patrick Kirby also went off injured, so donā€™t know whether he will make it. Patrickswell should win this but, if there is any complacency, Ahane probably have just about enough to punish them. You would think that Lynch & Gillane, assisted by Josh, Byrnes et al means theyā€™ll have too much firepower. This is the TG4 match this weekend (seems like an odd choice really).

Youā€™d imagine that Tommy Oā€™Brien and John Kirby will come in for their brothers respectively, seem like the logical changes to make. It definitely makes their bench weaker. I presume Paudie Harnett will be full-back on Gillane; they also have some other tough backs like Ciaran Barry, Dan Minihan and Andy Rowsome. Does that mean theyā€™ll be able to free Dan out of centre-back up into attack? Generally, youā€™d think that if Patrickswell can handle Tom, theyā€™ll win. If Dan is up there too, it just makes them think as Doonā€™s inside men caused serious bother the last day. Having said all that, I donā€™t think the Well will be complacent and I reckon theyā€™ll win this one by about 6.

Senior B Group 1

Garryspillane (4/11) vs Blackrock (9/4)

The box office game of the weekend after last yearā€™s incidents. Neither were relegated despite last yearā€™s draw although the Bouncers had to dig Donie out to save them against Murroe/Boher. Theyā€™re strong favourites with the bookies to get their revenge on Quiltyā€™s men. I wonder were all issues resolved with the few red cards in the league game or will the crowd in flare things up again? John Oā€™Halloran is a good, strong ref and heā€™ll need good linesmen too as there will undoubtedly be incidents. Blackrock got a fairly hefty beating scoreline-wise last weekend, and I do think that, if they can keep 15 men on the pitch, that Garryspillane should have enough to win this one. Having said that, guaranteeing Garryspillane will keep 15 men on the pitch, even in normal circumstances is far from a safe bet. Iā€™ve seen them get absolutely ridiculous red cards when cruising in games, let alone when tempers are raised and theyā€™re out for revenge. Of course, Blackrock themselves can be feisty enough and wonā€™t back down if some flaking does start. Iā€™m going to predict at least two red cards, but a Bouncers win by 4 or so. Owensie to get a goal. Really hoping to make it to this one on Sunday.

Senior B Group 2

Kildimo/Pallaskenry (4/6) vs Monaleen (11/8)

Iā€™m going to abstain on predicting this one, because how couldnā€™t I be biased? Just great to be playing senior hurling, really looking forward to it, and hoping thereā€™s a bit of crowd inside there. Monaleen shipped a bit of a beating from Adare last week; they really really wonā€™t want to be in a relegation final, they would see themselves well above that. Theyā€™ve generally been there or thereabouts at the top of the senior B since going up so will surely fancy themselves against the newcomers. Obviously, we have to believe that we have a really good chance. Cannot wait, going to be fair giddy at work tomorrow.

8 Likes

Premier Intermediate Group 1

Murroe/Boher (10/11) vs Knockainey (11/10)
Mungret/St. Paulā€™s (2/9) vs Cappamore (4/1)

Mungret had the most impressive win of any team on the opening weekend, scoring six goals against the team just down from senior, and that was without their star forward, Paul Oā€™Brien. Niall Mulcahy bagged a hat-trick and, to be honest, Liam Lynch is arguably a better forward and a better freetaker than Paul Oā€™Brien anyway. It might take the pressure off Paulie if Lynch is on the frees and no longer relied upon for every score. Cappamore surprised me as well with their large tally last week, they hit 3-18 when they really really struggled to get anything from play against us last year. Having said that, Cappamore almost caught them last year, they drew in the end but led for most of the game. Think Oā€™Brien scored 1-16 of 1-18 that day. Obviously, Cronin was back against his home club and thatā€™s always difficult. You would think that Mungret, if they have improved from last year with the extra few players including Lynch, Oā€™Sullivan, Duff junior, etc. and the few rejiggings position-wise have worked, that they should have enough for even an improved Cappamore (despite the fact they didnā€™t actually beat them last year). Mungret by 7.

Another interesting game, because Murroe/Boher do not appear to be in a good place. Shipping six goals canā€™t do anything for your confidence and although Knockainey themselves lost to Cappamore, in a match that they really would have been targeting, Knockainey are tough fuckers, not a soft touch at all. Two years ago, when both were at senior, they drew, and while both sides have probably disimproved since then; on paper, Seanie Tobin and Seamus Hickey are bigger losses than the Knockainey old guard. Having said that, Jack Oā€™Grady wasnā€™t listed on the programme last weekend for Knockainey and heā€™d be a huge loss. While I think that Murroe/Boher still have a lot of talented players, their team selection last weekend seemed odd, thereā€™s a lot of talk of trouble from inside in the camp and, on that basis, Iā€™m going to go with Knockainey by 3.

Premier Intermediate Group 2

Glenroe (4/7) vs Newcastlewest (7/4)
Dromin/Athlacca (2/1) vs Bruff (1/2)

A repeat of the 2019 intermediate final tomorrow night in Martinstown. Glenroe came out on top that day and are favourites with the bookies, but I think that NCW have improved massively over the past two years. Glenroe had a good year in their first year up at Premier Intermediate, making the semi-final (arguably throwing it away) and a great victory against Bruff last weekend. Newcastlewest also had a good, hard-fought victory over Dromin/Athlacca and the winner of this could have one foot in a semi-final. This is one of those games where it really could be a draw, but Iā€™m going to go for a narrow victory for Newcastlewest. Although Glenroe had the more impressive victory on opening weekend, I think that NCW could hurt Glenroe with their inside line and should be enough for a one-point win.

That means that both Bruff & Dromin/Athlacca lost on the opening weekend, and if they lose here, will be firm favourites to be in the relegation final. Bruff would have been one of my favourites for the county title this year so I kinda have to pick them to be honest. They were well up at half-time last weekend and somehow threw it away. David Reidy scored all but two of Dromin/Athlaccaā€™s total; if Sean Finn is detailed to mark him, that could be game over. That probably wonā€™t happen though, theyā€™ll probably leave Seanie sit in at centre-back and Kevin Bonar or Jason Hayes or someone like that will try and do a job on Reidy. But really, Bruff should have way too much firepower for D/A, and Iā€™m going for a 6-point win.

6 Likes

Intermediate Group 1

Granagh/Ballingarry (2/7) vs Tournafulla (3/1)

Bruree had a good win against Tour last weekend, Tour are in a relegation semi-final unless they can beat Granagh/Ballingarry, who are one of the favourites for the title. G/B had an unpleasant year in 2020 when they somehow ended up against Patā€™s in a relegation final. Tour had beaten Patā€™s in the relegation semi and do have some dangerous forwards like James Brouder and Conor Moroney. But I fancy G/B to do well this year and I think theyā€™ll come out on top by about 5 points against their fellow westerners, and that would put them through with a game to spare.

Intermediate Group 2

Hospital/Herbertstown (3/1) vs Croom (1/3)

H/H really not fancied by the bookies despite having qualified for a county quarter-final ahead of Granagh/Ballingarry last year. They did play Croom also last year and Croom won pretty handily and I suppose thatā€™s part of the reason behind the bookieā€™s odds. Croom drew last weekend so a win here will confirm their place in the quarter-final. Lucey, the old dog for the hard road, is still going and there are three Cahills along with Seanie Tobin on the management team. They donā€™t exactly have star quality in terms of names but still should have enough hurling to get the win by 6 points or so and get back into the knockouts. Theyā€™ve made three semi-finals in a row and will be expecting to get at least that far again.

Intermediate Group 3

Knockaderry (7/4) vs Feohanagh/Castlemahon (1/2)

In the all-West group, F/C drew with C/K on the opening day, despite Seamie Flanagan hitting 2-7 from play. They are out again this weekend against Knockaderry. These two met in last yearā€™s county quarter-final, with Feohanagh winning by the gameā€™s only goal. Itā€™s a very local derby, and sure to be another cracker in the Bog Garden on Sunday. Pity that itā€™s on at the same time as the Bouncers & Blackrock as I would love to be there. Last weekā€™s game sounded like a really good game too. Much like Croagh, I donā€™t think Knockaderry have anyone that can hold Seamie if heā€™s in that kind of form. If he hit 2-7 and they still didnā€™t win, the rest of them would want to up their game to be honest, but I think that heā€™ll help them to a 4-point victory here.

Intermediate Group 4

Na Piarsaigh 2 (5/4) vs Kilmallock 2 (4/6)

Iā€™m going to go against the bookies here. Na Piarsaigh were one of the favourites for the title but shipped a hefty enough opening weekend defeat, having lost a fair number of players from last yearā€™s county final victory to the seniors (Kevin Ryan, GearĆ³id Synott, Emmet McEvoy, Keith Dempsey, SeĆ”n Long). Five key players is an awful lot to loose and presumably that is the reason that Kilmallock are favourites this weekend. Having said that, Kilmallock are down a few themselves from their junior team last year with Liam English, Phelim Oā€™Reilly and David Woulfe all playing senior last weekend. If Na Piarsaigh have any returning senior players from injury, they could play in this game which is also something to be considered as they have a weekend off. Iā€™m going to go for Na Piarsaigh to sneak this by 2 points.

1 Like

Junior A Group 1

Feenagh/Kilmeedy vs Askeaton
Mungret/St. Paulā€™s 2 vs Doon 2
Monaleen 2 vs Patrickswell 2

Very interesting group after the first round, with Patrickswell being surprised by Mungret, while F/K and Doon drew. Iā€™m going to write off Monaleen completely and Iā€™m going to predict a 15-point victory for Patrickswell for them to get back on track. Brendan Hayes, the Askeaton man, is over Feenagh/Kilmeedy and it should be an interesting clash between his charges and his home parish. Annoyingly, this one is on at the same time as the All-Ireland Final, so I wonā€™t be able to go for a look. Askeaton racked up a big score in the first round, as you would maybe expect, and in Willie Oā€™Meara, have a better forward than anything F/K have. However, F/K have been more consistent in recent seasons but, having been swayed by the confidence of @TreatyStones, Iā€™ll tip Askeaton for a 1-point victory. Without having seen the F/K vs Doon game, itā€™s hard to gauge how theyā€™ll go in comparison to the other teams. Obviously, Mungret had a superb victory last weekend, although I would generally have expected Doon to have a stronger second team even with a few players added for Mungret. Doon lost three of their starting players as per the programme, although they would have expected to lose a fair few, while I think Mungret also lost two. So, looking at the subs, itā€™s hard to say who would be considered stronger. Itā€™ll be another tight one, Iā€™m going to go with Doon by 2.

Junior A Group 2

St. Kieranā€™s vs St. Patrickā€™s
Garryspillane 2 vs Kilteely/Dromkeen
Monagea vs Ahane

Last weekend went as expected in this group with Patā€™s, K/D and the Bouncers all getting wins. Two of those are playing each other, but I do expect K/D to get the win. I noted Paudie Aherne wasnā€™t listed at all for them but with Brian Oā€™Grady, the Oā€™Deas, Dinny Ahern, Donie in goal; they should have enough for Garryspillaneā€™s second team who could potentially be down a few players from last weekend by Sunday evening. Kieranā€™s arenā€™t in a good place hurling-wise, itā€™s hard to see Patā€™s not winning having got a result against a better side last weekend. I also expect Monagea will bounce back from that defeat to beat Ahane and keep them in the hunt for that second place spot. So, Iā€™m going to go Patā€™s by 15, Kilteely/Dromkeen by 8 and Monagea by 7.

Junior A Group 3

Templeglantine vs Crecora/Manister
Ballybricken/Bohermore vs Drom/Broadford
Caherline vs Old Christians

One game tonight, possibly the most interesting match of all the junior clashes this weekend. Templeglantine & Crecora/Manister were two of the outside bets that many people have tipped, including myself, featuring two of the most outstanding young players in the Limerick club game, Mark McCarthy & Cathal Oā€™Neill respectively. But thatā€™s not it, Templeglantine have the likes of Seamus Murphy, the Riordans, Adam Fitz while Crecora have the Moloneys and Cormac Flanagan. Also, in Alan Kelly and John Tuohy, both sides have well-respected coaches. It should be a really interesting game, Iā€™m going to tip Crecora to get the win as I just think Cathal will stamp his authority on the game in a scoring sense, he has the potential to be a different class altogether at this level. The side that beat them in the first round, Drom/Broadford, are out against another victorious side, Ballybricken/Bohermore. I thought that D/B might be caught having been focused on football up until pretty late in the week but they came back to get a great win and I donā€™t see them being stopped by B/B. And poor Old Christians, having had a lot of their best players poached, are in a very bad place. I feel really sorry for them; what is the point in developing a bunch of very decent club forwards, only to have them stolen away by the age of 21 or 22? Theyā€™re not a club that can afford to lose two scoring forwards, and it could be ugly against the Gillane-coached Caherline, who had a great victory on the opening weekend. Crecora by 2, Drom by 7, Caherline by 30.

Junior A Group 4

Staker Wallace vs Rathkeale
Castletown/Ballyagran vs Claughaun
Ballybrown 2 vs Killeedy

The Stakers & Rathkeale are almost certainly the two weakest teams in this group and both suffered hefty enough opening day defeats. Rathkeale got to a county semi-final a few years back but hurling seems to have fallen apart there since then, while the Stakers also had a good run a few years back. Another club who have had their best players poached, Paudie Leahy scored a huge amount for Blackrock and their road to senior in 2019. So, both have gone way back, hard to gauge who is actually better now. I would generally tip Rathkeale but having had a look at their results in recent seasons, Iā€™m going to go for the Stakers. Claughaun got caught by Ballybrown last weekend, while C/B had a big win. Claughaun were county semi-finalists last year, while C/B were county finalists in 2019. I actually rate C/B as a pretty decent team and Iā€™m going to predict them to get the win here, effectively knocking Claughaun out at an early enough stage. Ballybrown wonā€™t have any seniors left by Sunday afternoon, and I think theyā€™d have found Killeedy difficult enough to beat even with a few so Iā€™m going for the West boys here. Stakers by 3, C/B by 6, Killeedy by 9.

3 Likes

Crecora well on top here at ht., 12 - 06. Playing with the aid of fresh breeze they could rue their many wides yet. Glantine need to get Mark McCarthy more involved but at the same time I would say he has been very greedy in possession. Oā€™Neill has 3 or 4 from play without ever really imposing himself on the game. His workrate does leave a bit to be desired. When heā€™s on the ball though heā€™s all class.

2 Likes

What scoring power has been added to askeaton since last year?

Well Iā€™m probably not the person to ask, I havenā€™t actually seen them this year. But Willie was missing for a fair few games last year and now heā€™s back, and the difference he makes is immeasurable.

I think theyā€™ve also added a couple of younger fellas in attack.

But apart from Willie, I suppose the hope would be that they are better set up and better organised.

Does Willie have a shot of getting back into the intercounty setup or did the bad injury set him back.

Getting in to that forward line is almost impossible. Reidy, Dempsey, CON all sub half forwards etc.

As a starter sure but Kiely freshens up spaces 25-30 in the panel with the likes of Breen and Oā€™Connell getting a shot in the league.

Adam English would be knocking harder than WOM Iā€™d say

Didnā€™t he get tried in the half back line the last time?

Still 6 in it at the water break by my reckoning (no scoreboard). Glantine on top now but not making it pay where it counts. Crecora relying on CON frees and one piece of individual brilliance from the same man.

1 Like

He was in there as a back previously. But thatā€™s probably even harder to break into at this stage. He has the size and power to be a Kiely half forward, and his striking lads :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:. Has had rotten luck with injuries. Has hardly played a game of hurling in two years really, and certainly not had any run at it. Hopefully gets through the year unscathed. Still only a young fella, and bags of improvement in him, problem in Limerick now for the likes of him is the convyer belt coming behind, and heā€™s playing junior hurling, thatā€™s grand for Hego who is already the man, but sure if he score 1-15 Saturday itā€™ll be heā€™d want to and he playing junior, if he scores 6 points, heā€™ll have been shit

3 Likes

We have Willie, we havenā€™t really had him since 2018 between different things. We made the county quarters that year, weā€™ve hardly won a game since

1 Like

There is panel space at half forward. Reidy and Boylan are Kiely favourites and youā€™d imagine Dempsey is still in the picture but if Tom or Hego are out youā€™re looking for someone who can get 3 to 5 from play. Perhaps CON and English are next in line.

Feenagh/Kilmeedy vs Askeaton
Mungret/St. Paulā€™s 2 vs Doon 2
Monaleen 2 vs Patrickswell 2

Iā€™ll go Mungret and Iā€™ll give our boys the nod out of loyalty as much as anything.
PWell will beat Monaleen by whatever they like.

Junior A Group 2

St. Kieranā€™s vs St. Patrickā€™s
Garryspillane 2 vs Kilteely/Dromkeen
Monagea vs Ahane

Iā€™ll go along with that. Donā€™t know anything about Garryspllane tbh but Kilteely have a decent side. Kierans in big trouble, old legs wonā€™t hold the Hegos. Monagea should beat Ahane handy enough.

Junior A Group 3

Templeglantine vs Crecora/Manister
Ballybricken/Bohermore vs Drom/Broadford
Caherline vs Old Christians

Iā€™ll go Crecora :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Derry will carry Dromcollogher/Dromcolliher/Drumcollogher
Caherline by what they want.

Junior A Group 4

Staker Wallace vs Rathkeale
Castletown/Ballyagran vs Claughaun
Ballybrown 2 vs Killeedy

Castletown will bate Claughaun handy.
Kileedy will win well too Iā€™d say.
The other one a toss up, Iā€™ll go Rathkeale to have a few different to you :grin:

1 Like

NAP a great price there surely. Any sign of the Dow?

1 Like

Crecora get over the lineā€¦ Just. Glantine got a scrappy goal after the waterbreak but then hit 4 wides on the trot in the space of 4 minutes. Crecora were able able to keep them at arms length from then on. Oā€™Neill is a joy to behold in full flow. Shit or burst now for glantine next weekend against Drom.

2 Likes

He was fully togged last Saturday despite not on the 26 latest I heard is that he got a second opinion late last year and the programme heā€™s been on is so far so good

1 Like