Limerick GAA 2022 - Dual Kings (Part 1)

If you donā€™t charge you canā€™t have three lads on the gate collecting expenses

1 Like

They need to get the 100k in the bank emptied before they are dissolved.

2 Likes

Spike has his eyes on that pot. The expenses for 2020 were a laugh, no games for half the year.

It should be redistributed to the clubs of west Limerick.

It should be spent developing GAA in a few pinpointed Secondary Schools in West Limerick (not all schools as some have no interest in developing) and coach education at club level in the West

6 Likes

Mickey Sul and JIm Tyres should get a new car each for their service

2 Likes

I hope the City Board arenā€™t at the same shit now.

Weā€™re playing the Well on Sunday and thereā€™ll be a fair crowd in because the Well have a load of big names togging. Crowd will be halved if theyā€™re charging in though.

CiarĆ”n Carey, Declan Oā€™Grady, Paul Oā€™Grady, Natal, I think Eoin Foley; possibly Barry Foley aswell, few more. Serious amount of county medals for a Junior B team.

1 Like

Theyā€™re some club in fairness to them

Is that the 'Wellā€™s second or third team?

Third

1 Like

Malachy the Limerick representative in the Poc Fada; Martina McMahon in the camogie. Invite only this year.

Thereā€™s a great typo on the Limerick GAA app press release for that story, in the camogie listing.

A bit amateurish alrightā€¦.

2 Likes

This weekend we come to the end of the group stages for the top three grades in Limerick hurling, with a lot still to play for in terms of qualification. Only one of the teams playing this weekend in those three divisions cannot make the knockout stages. There may have to be some surprises to turn around the fortunes of some teams, but this is what Championship is all about. I would expect to get more predictions right this weekend, appears to be a more straightforward set of fixtures.

Senior A Group 1

Na Piarsaigh (1/20) vs Ballybrown (15/2)

NaP massive favourites here, I suppose the only thing I will say is that they donā€™t have to win. Unless they get hammered, they are already through. How focused will they be? Ballybrown were decent the last day but couldnā€™t get over the line, can they hurt Na Piarsaigh? Probably not, itā€™d be mad to predict anything other than a Na Piarsaigh victory but I do think 15/2 is ridiculously long odds considering the circumstances. Will Na Piarsaigh be welcoming back any of their injured contingent? Presumably Adrian Breen at least will get the start here. Na Piarsaigh by 6.

Senior A Group 2

Doon (1/5) vs Ahane (7/2)

Ahane unlikely to turn around the points differential. Doon now without Barry Mirphy which is a massive, massive blow and will really affect their chances of winning a county title. Having said that, I donā€™t think theyā€™ll have too many problems this weekend and should win this one. Doon by 8.

Senior B Group 1

South Liberties (1/6) vs Garryspillane (4/1)

An interesting one; thereā€™s a bit of a buzz about Liberties this year and had a comprehensive victory over Blackrock in the first round. The Bouncers started well against their South rivals but werenā€™t great down the home stretch and lost by 3. Based on their respective results against Blackrock, this would look like a handy win for Liberties. But for some reason, I always fancied Garryspillane as more likely to beat Liberties than Blackrock. They are mostly a very young team now, a lot of U-21s in key positions, they are still developing under new management and really wonā€™t want to get relegated. Any sort of win should be enough to put Blackrock in relegation despite last weekā€™s result, while Liberties are pretty much already top of the group because of the score difference. That could make a difference, Liberties donā€™t really have to win. I think there is a potential shock on the cards here; having said that, I havenā€™t actually seen Liberties and it sounded like they were pretty decent against Blackrock. So, Iā€™m torn, if the Bouncers are as flat tonight as they were post-ambulance last week, Liberties will pick them off but I do think the shock is possible. Iā€™ll go Liberties by 5 though.

Senior B Group 2

Adare (1/5) vs Kildimo/Pallaskenry (7/2)

Wonā€™t be predicting on this one; Adare did have a more impressive scoreline against Monaleen but, in reality, both sides had a comprehensive victory. Local derby too, Willie Griffin factor. Basically a free shot for us, as we are huge underdogs, but it really is a huge opportunity.

1 Like

Premier Intermediate Group 1

Cappamore (4/6) vs Murroe/Boher (5/4)
Mungret/St. Paulā€™s vs Knockainey

These are Sunday 1pm matches with the east sides playing in Caherconlish and the other in Claughaun. Murroe/Boher just about gave them a chance of progressing with their comeback last weekend. A draw there means a win against Cappamore will see them through unless Knockainey beat Mungret. Having said that, Cappamore beat Knockainey well and put it right up to Mungret and will fancy their chances of seeing it out. M/B werenā€™t in a good place but that kind of fightback can give a team hope, and they do have quality in their panel. So, a very interesting encounter, probably one of the games of the weekend as itā€™s a real local derby aswell. I wrote them off earlier in the year but Iā€™m impressed with Cappamoreā€™s outings so far and Iā€™m going to tip them to come through this by 2 points. Mungret are already through, Knockainey are in danger of relegation if Murroe/Boher get anything against Cappamore. Mungret certainly favourites but again, donā€™t really have anything to play for as they will top the group. Knockainey generally tough fuckers but have seemed to be a lot more open this year and that will probably suit Mungret, so Iā€™m going to tip them to get over the line by 6. Again, this match means a lot more to Knockainey than it does to Mungret so it wouldnā€™t be a major shock were they to get a result. If those results go as I have predicted, it would be Murroe/Boher in a relegation final; a fairly big shock.

Premier Intermediate Group 2

Dromin/Athlacca (10/11) vs Glenroe (10/11)
Bruff vs Newcastlewest

Still a lot to play for here, a straight shootout between two south sides in Kilfinane to book a place in a county semi-final. Glenroe were there last year, Athlacca were in the relegation final but there was just a point between them the match between the two. Every match in this group has been tight so far, and this will be no different, you wouldnā€™t think. David Reidy still carrying a huge attacking burden for D/A and I just think that Glenroe have a better spread of attacking options in Junior, Oā€™Mahony & the Oā€™Connells. Iā€™m going to go Glenroe by 2. NCW are already through, a fine achievement in their first year up at the grade. Correct me if Iā€™m wrong, but I think Bruff are in relegation no matter what happens as I think head-to-head trumps score difference and even if they win, they will be level with a side who has beaten them already. So this match doesnā€™t matter at all. Bruff have really flopped so far, relegation for them would be unfathomable. I think they might win this match in Croagh by 4 and take some form into a relegation final. NCW will still top the group on head-to-head, I think.

2 Likes

Intermediate Group 1

Bruree (10/11) vs Granagh/Ballingarry (10/11)

In Croom on Sataurday, we have a match that doesnā€™t really matter in that both are qualified already, with Tour in the relegation semi-final. I think these two teams are even enough, which side will take it more seriously? I guess that coming top of the group is an incentive in itself, might get a handier quarter-final draw. Iā€™ll go for Bruree by 4.

Intermediate Group 2

Hospital/Herbertstown (7/2) vs Pallasgreen (1/5)

Another of the matches at 1pm on Sunday, this one is in Kilteely and has a lot riding on it. Winner makes the quarter-final, loser ends up in the relegation semi-final. A draw will do Pallasgreen who previously drew with Croom, while Hospital lost by 13. Pallasgreen would always have been expected to win this and looking at the formlines, itā€™d be hard to disagree with that. Pallasgreen by 7.

Intermediate Group 3

Croagh/Kilfinny vs Knockaderry

Another one with a huge amount riding on it; another West derby. This is in NCW, also on Sunday at 1pm. Knockaderryā€™s win last weekend has already seen them through, maybe against the odds. C/K drew with Feohanagh the first day out, and need something better than a 2-point defeat to qualify. That pretty much makes it a must-win game for them and, honestly, I fancy them to do it. I think Knockaderry will be buoyed by last weekā€™s victory but C/K have a lot of momentum behind them aswell, and the game means more to them. Croagh by 4.

Intermediate Group 4

Kilmallock 2 vs Effin

Effin had a superb victory the first day against Na Piarsaigh and now face their local rivals in Martinstown; Kilmallock were beaten fairly comfortably by NaP. Everything points to an Effin win, Kilmallock need a 12-point victory here to qualify which just seems very unlikely. Effin have probably had the most impressive performance so far, and I think theyā€™ll back that up here with a comfortable win and make amends for last yearā€™s 1-point defeat against the same opponents. Effin by 10.

2 Likes

Junior A Group 1

Mungret/St. Paulā€™s 2 vs Askeaton
Feenagh/Kilmeedy vs Monaleen 2
Doon 2 vs Patrickswell 2

Two wins from two so far, Mungret top this group and will be strong favourites in Ballybrown on Saturday. Askeaton got their opening win against a poor Monaleen side but fell narrowly to Feenagh/Kilmeedy. Willie might cause some bother, but this looks like a good Mungret side and I would expect them to get a victory here by 4 points or so. It is very hard to see F/K not hammering Monaleen in MNP, who are a good bit weaker than all the other sides in this group. F/K by 12. Going off the formlines, youā€™d probably fancy the Well against Doon in NaP on Sunday evening. Both sides lost to Mungret but the Wellā€™s defeat was much narrower. Bit disappointed with Doon to be honest, but Mungret are obviously strong. Iā€™ll go Patrickswell by 3. Group will take shape after this round, youā€™d fancy Mungret to make it out from here, with Monaleen still to play. Patrickswell will be favourites to join them if they do get over Doon. Any other result will open things nicely again.

Junior A Group 2

Monagea vs Kilteely/Dromkeen
Garryspillane 2 vs St. Kieranā€™s
Ahane 2 vs St. Patrickā€™s

A lot of people are tipping K/D after two impressive victories so far. Monagea bounced back from an opening round defeat but will be up against it in Martinstown tonight. Iā€™m going to go for K/D again, this time by 6. The Bouncers were on the receiving end of a hammering by K/D last weekend, and play Kieranā€™s in Kilmallock tomorrow afternoon. Kieranā€™s shocked Patā€™s after being hammered by K/D the first day. Very hard one to call, I probably would have gone for the Bouncers but I expected them to be a bit closer to K/D and Kieranā€™s pulled out a great win. On that basis, Iā€™m going to go for them to back that up and win by 2. Patā€™s promotion hopes took a bit of a knock by losing to an unfancied St. Kieranā€™s but they should still progress from here if they are professional, and I expect them to get back on track against Ahaneā€™s second team in NaP on Sunday night. Patā€™s by 6.

Junior A Group 3

Caherline vs Ballybricken/Bohermore
Templeglantine vs Dromcollogher/Broadford
Crecora/Manister vs Old Christians

A very interesting group got even more interesting when Ballybricken/Bohermore beat Drom/Broadford last weekend. Themselves and Caherline are unbeaten and play each other this weekend in what should be a cracking east derby in Cappamore tomorrow. Neither of these sides would have been fancied to progress but are in pole position now. Iā€™m going to go for Caherline, marginally; say by 2 points. Templeglantine would have been an outside bet for many but, with two defeats already, are really up against it. Dromā€™s confidence would have taken a bit of a hit after being caught by B/B. This is a classic west match back in Tour; it could go either way but I suppose you have to expect D/B will maintain their push for a place in the top two by getting a narrow victory, Iā€™ll say by 3 points. Crecora had an opening day defeat but bounced back against Glantine to keep their hopes alive; Christians were certainly not as bad against Caherline as they were the opening day. But the star attacking power of CON means C/M have something Caherline donā€™t have and, although I like Glenn Hannon, I donā€™t see him holding Oā€™Neill. Crecora by 9 in Fedamore.

Junior A Group 4

Killeedy vs Claughaun
Staker Wallace vs Castletown/Ballyagran
Ballybrown 2 vs Rathkeale

Killeedy had an absolute disastrous result last weekend against Ballybrown and, with Ballyagran still to play, cannot afford any more slip-ups. Claughaun were also caught by Ballybrown and just donā€™t seem to be going well. I think Killeedy will get back on track in the Bog Garden on Sunday with a 5-point win. The Stakers were beaten by Rathkeale last weekend in the match I think will decide who will come bottom. They now face one of the real favourites for the county in C/B; thatā€™s on in Knocklong and I think C/B will win by circa 15 points. And, in Askeaton, Ballybrown face Rathkeale. Ballybrown are two from two, and should have way too much for a Rathkeale side who did get off the mark last weekend. Ballybrown have a few players who some think should be on their senior panel but it makes for a very strong junior team, and they should win this by 9 or so.

6 Likes

Crazy odds.

1 Like

Friday 17th September

Bon Secours Hospital Limerick, Senior Hurling Championship Round 3
South Liberties v Garryspillane

Woodlands House Hotel Junior A Hurling Championship Round 3
Monagea v Kilteely/Dromkeen

Saturday 18th September

Ballybrown v Na Piarsaigh

Nick Grene Sportsground Maintenance Intermediate Hurling Championship Round 2
Bruree v Granagh/Ballingarry

Garryspillane v St Kierans
Caherline v Ballybricken/Bohermore
Templeglantine v Dromcollogher/Broadford
Mungret/St Pauls v Askeaton
Crecora/Manister v Old Christians

Sunday 19th September

Ahane v Doon
Adare v Kildimo/Pallaskenry

Lyons of Limerick Premier Intermediate Hurling Championship Round 3
Mungret/St Pauls v Knockainey
Bruff v Newcastle West

Nick Grene Intermediate Hurling Championship Round 3
Hospital/Herbertstown v Pallasgreen
Cappamore v Murroe/Boher
Dromin/Athlacca v Glenroe
Kilmallock v Effin
Croagh/Kilfinny v Knockaderry

Killeedy v Claughaun
Feenagh/Kilmeedy v Monaleen
Staker Wallace v Castletown/Ballagran
Ballybrown v Rathkeale in Askeaton at 5pm

1 Like

Bouncers beat Liberties, 2-21 to 1-23. Welcome to the big leagues, Anthony Nash.

Garryspillane are safe, Liberties still advance to the quarter final.

Blackrock v Monaleen in the relegation play off.

Monagea beat Kilteely/Dromkeen 0-21 to 0-16 in the junior. Bit of a shock.

1 Like