Limerick GAA 2022 - Dual Kings (Part 1)

That’s a huge shock in the Junior. It has thrown up some results this year!

Yeah, didn’t see that one coming.

There’s little enough between junior/lower intermediate and upper intermediate/premier intermediate. The junior looks wide open, C/K had their name on the cup from a long way out last year but this year it’s very hard to pick a winner.

The senior championship is probably the least exciting of the four divisions, the big four beating the rest.

What I find with the Junior is the complete inconsistency of it. 1 year a team are going well, following year they’re not coming out of the group. Opposite way around with other sides.

The fear was that getting rid of the box office west junior A would dilute the tournament but it has done anything but. Going all county has thrown up even more exciting matches with shocks, thrills and spills galore.

A great championship. It was ever, thus.

1 Like

That inconsistency is generally why the clubs are junior :grinning:

1 Like

Yes I suppose that’s the crux of it! :laughing:

Pity I didn’t have more faith in my convictions here; obviously this meant a lot more to the Bouncers than Liberties. They lose, but still go through, they were there to be caught and Garryspillane got the job done.

Absolute dominance by Limerick in Colm Keys top 40 hurlers of 2021 section.

2 Likes

Unreal!

And fairly spot on as well.Kind of sad to see TJ at no.20.
The end is near unfortunately.

1 Like

Couldn’t really zoom in,thanks.

Thats worse than I thought so! I notice with him the last few seasons as the year progresses,his performance levels drop.He looked his age against Cork for sure.Brilliant servant and an all time great.

On a different note,You’d wonder what the likes of Joey Holden and Liam Blanchfield are thinking.Imagine putting in all that effort and seeing starting players reintroduced after they being subbed off against Cork.
People can bang on about being ruthless and so forth but that was disrespectful,bad for morale and poor management.
It’ll be interesting to see what transpires over the coming months.

1 Like

No sign of Callanan or was he 28 or 29?

Sad to see no Galway or Wexford representation.

Some match in the Gaelic Grounds last night, an unbelievable finish to it. I thought Mike Sexton did a great job reffing, let it go mostly. Eoinsie Sheehan was probably lucky not to be sent off for a late head-high challenge on Eoin Godfrey, and he went on to get a second goal after that. He proved that he’s right up there as the best finisher in club hurling in Limerick, a poacher, two superb finishes.

They both came in the first half, he scored an unbelievable point from the sideline to put them a point up with 5 minutes to go. Kieran Hickey probably should have scored a goal aswell, a great save from Nash prevented him and Hickey also felt he should have had a penalty but I thought he was well held up by the Liberties backs. He’s an unbelievable target man, set up the second goal aswell.

Mark Quinlan marked Barry Nash and he did a decent enough job, you’re never going to limit him completely and there was pretty much nothing he could have done on the goal; they dealt with a long Nash puckout very poorly, and Brian Ryan popped it inside for Barry, who was never going to miss from close range.

Liberties started without both Tom & Brian Ryan and Shane O’Neill; they all came in in the second half. One of Liberties’ new signings, the former Tipp minor, Barry Cooney, scored three or four points from play in the first half; David O’Neill scored a few points from play too. Their scores probably came that bit easier.

But Garryspillane were more dominant in general play, they won a lot of breaks, had more of the play. The likes of Bryan Heavey, Haulie Bourke, Declan Barry and Jim Bob won some amount of breaks. Jim Bob was everywhere, way better than he was last week. But they had to really fight back; after Nash got the goal, they went three or four points down and they fought their way back into it. They lost Colin Ryan to injury early on but Eoin O’Mahony came in, and ended up getting an unreal points in injury time to seal the victory.

But even after that, a long puckout broke in behind the Garryspillane cover, David O’Neill took it on the run, had the goal at his mercy, but blazed just over the crossbar. That would have won it for Liberties, really could have sickened them.

Liberties missed a couple of handy frees and went for goals when they weren’t on; Dooley made a great save from Nash early on. Dylan O’Shea missed one free but nailed the rest, and got a great sideline aswell and Ciaran Sheehan, who had a quiet first half, really came into it in the second half, dropping around midfield.

Great game to watch, serious intensity, plenty of big hits, goals, well reffed. Eoinsie man of the match, you’d have to say, got the scores, won frees and won plenty of ball inside too.

2 Likes

He’s doing 80-120 in two weeks

4 Likes

Where did Nash play?

Yes.

The gaelic grounds

1 Like

Ah jaysus