Limerick GAA 2022 - Dual Kings (Part 1)

When the last time a tipp club won the all ireland bud?

Shur if you had six bad greyhounds in a race you get an exciting finish. If that’s what ye are happy with…work away. It’s working out great for ye at the moment

8 Likes

Most championship in most sports are largely predictable and occasionally boring

The EPL is a 4 horse race , the Gaelic football championship ditto , many of Europe’s pro soccer leagues have few real contenders

The Limerick SHC has 4 contenders and all are very strong teams .

1 Like

Boris in 1987 I think

The Munster record in the last 30 or so years is shocking bar Clare in the mid 90s

There has been no team within an asses roar of Birr , Portumna or Ballyhale

These things tend to go in cycles. Right now, there are 4 out ahead of the rest and, whilst that may remain the case for another few years, it won’t always be so.

I suppose the ideal championship is one where all teams can compete at their true level on an even basis. The all-county Junior A has been a big success and follows on the back of the PIHC which has probably been the best championship in Limerick since it’s inception,

Now, the problem the PIHC winners faced was the prospect of yoyoing between the two grades. Good enough to win premier, not good enough for senior. The pressure to retain status can overtake any chance of progression.

Therefore, I think the ideal senior championship for Limerick would be just 8 teams who all face each other over 7 rounds. For the likes of Kildimo/Pallaskenry, or any newly promoted or coming team, the regular exposure of playing all the top teams would be key. They did well to win the county cup in their first year up but, in reality, they only had to win one game to retain senior status, which long term is no good to anyone really. The same dynamic applied to Claughaun in football this year.

In situ in Ballybrown for Croagh vs NaP. Hopefully the rain holds off.

2 Likes

I would think regular heavy enough showers today

At the water break, 0-6 to 0-3 for Croagh. Star of the show so far has been referee John Paul Kiely who has already sent off Seamus Hickey for two dissent yellow cards. He arrived late, recruited umpires and has given very soft frees.

8 Likes

:joy: harsh or fair?

Na P down to 14 too.

0-11 to 0-05 at HT. Croagh had a strong breeze in opening half.

HT: Croagh/Kilfinny 0-11 Na Piarsaigh 0-5.

JP has evened things up by sending off Niall Buckley for an off-the-ball incident. I didn’t see it myself but informed there was very little in it. Lanigan won the puckout after having been hit and threw it over the bar from the sideline.

He’s been excellent for C/K, they’ve scored some excellent points from outside, the best was one from corner back Barry Lenihan.

James Daly has scored two fine points for NaP who have the wind to come but mostly been frees. Both sides have lost their centre backs and the second red has changed the dynamic. No sign of Dempsey or Boylan.

Who’s in goal for Na Piarsaigh as a matter of interest?

C/K 0-11 Nap 0-5 at half time.
Hickey red for constant mouthing. Two yellows inside 5 mins. Everyone in the ground could see the second yellow coming, the red mist just descended. Nap has looked the more likely to score goals. Kevin Daly, James Daly and Dylan Cronin going close.

1 Like

Nap wides mounting up here. 13-8 to C/K.

Umpires at road goals having a mare. Five or six times they hadn’t a scooby if ball was over or not. Waiting for ref Kiely to make the call for them. Comical.

Think it’s Evan Condon, I wouldn’t really know him.

0-13 to 0-8 at the water break, Daly has missed some amount of frees for NaP. Shep is on for them.

Ref & umpires continue to dominate, they have no idea what’s going on.

1 Like

Jack Lenihan mishits a shot, from 30 yards, keeper misses it and rolls over the line. Sickener. Should be game over.

Pat Gleeson goal in reply from a 20m free.

1 Like

1-17 to 1-12 FT, the Croagh run continues.

Bad ref, bad umpires, bad pitch. But decent intensity, Croagh the better team but NaP will regret all the missed chances.

2 Likes

The fairytale for C/K continues. David Lynch is an excellent ‘keeper.

G/B v Croagh would be off the chain it it came to pass.

Is it an open draw for the semi finals? Will teams who met in the group stage be kept apart? Cc @Elvis_Brandenberg_Kr

1 Like