Limerick GAA 2022 - Dual Kings (Part 1)

NCW will win it out

1 Like

They should be winning it every year

Monaleen will give them a fair game of it on Sunday.

1 Like

Looking forward to @Aristotle previews.

1 Like

@Aristotle is scoring difference out the window in the Patrickswell group given that there was a w/o last week?

Some contest in fairness. Glad we clung onto our Intermediate status.

Jerome is a bit all over the place there. Jack Neville did a much better job earlier in the week.

Yes, he got it wrong.

I will go to patā€™s/kilteely tomorrow, that could be a good one.

So weā€™re down to the last 4 in both the senior & intermediate hurling; already down to the final 2 in the premier intermediate. No surprises in the senior, no major surprises in the intermediate, it was always going to be a difficult one to call. Weā€™ve seen a few shock relegations so far, and Tour vs Feohanagh is arguably the game of the weekend, itā€™s not easy to get out of that junior championship.

Senior Hurling Semi-Finals

Doon (4/7) vs Kilmallock (7/4)
Na Piarsaigh (4/9) vs Patrickswell (2/1)

Kilmallock have racked up massive scores against Ballybrown and South Liberties but have also conceded loads. Graeme Mulcahy made his much-needed return the last day, finishing with 1-3 or 1-4 from play after having a slow start. If he has got that rustiness out of his system, Kilmallock will have a real chance of racking up big numbers again as Gavinā€™s movement and first touch from full-forward has been exemplary so far, with OisĆ­n Oā€™Reilly & MĆ­cheĆ”l Houlihan deadly accurate from outside. The concern for Kilmallock would obviously have to be the five goals they conceded to Liberties; every time they were run at, they were opened up and surely the likes of Adam English and Pat Simon will be relishing that opportunity. Barry Murphy is still a massive, massive loss for Doon but I do think they have more strength in depth than Kilmallock. I tipped Doon at the outset, I havenā€™t seen anything to change my mind for this game anyway. I think Doon have enough directness to get goals against Kilmallock, and will win by 5.

The second game is also very interesting. Na Piarsaigh havenā€™t been near their best yet, but have still cruised to victory. The Well struggled against Adare and, honestly, were lucky to get over the line, some ridiculous scores from Jason Gillane got them through. If they play like that again, they havenā€™t a hope against NaP. But it is very different playing against a team who is basically set up to contain you and one that will go out and try to impose themselves on you. For example, Colin Coughlan absolutely destroyed Emmet McEvoy in the air in the Ballybrown-NaP game but Na Piarsaigh didnā€™t make any change; they just continued to play and had way too much elsewhere. They didnā€™t disrupt their system by moving someone into that role. Whereas Adare set up a system to limit the space of Aaron Gillane and choke Lynch as much as possible. I think the Well have enough to exploit some of the weaknesses Na Piarsaigh may have if they are at the top of the game. The other factor is what Na Piarsaigh players are still to return; Jerome Boylan & Alan Dempsey didnā€™t play intermediate the last day, but Adrian Breen at least should surely be back which will be a big addition. I do have a slight feeling that it has set up nicely for the Well, that they will have learned a lot from last week, but based on form to date, it would be madness to go for anything but Na Piarsaigh; Iā€™ll go for a 2-point win.

Intermediate Hurling Semi-Finals

Bruree (4/6) vs Croagh/Kilfinny (11/8)
Granagh/Ballingarry (7/4) vs Effin (1/2)

A knockout match against his home club is not what Chris Sexton wanted in an ideal world; but his Croagh side overcame adversity in their semi-final to get the win over Na Piarsaigh. A very early Seamus Hickey red card would have seriously disrupted their plans but they didnā€™t get rattled, added a few scores and suddenly they didnā€™t have a man disadvantage anymore. They rode their luck at times for sure but in Jack Linehan have a really dangerous forward at this level. Tom McMahon is also back but is still shaking off the rust, Bruree have arguably been the form team overall, and beat a tough Pallasgreen side last weekend. With the Cronolly brothers & Sam Williams, they now have young attacking threats who are really coming into their own at this grade. Itā€™ll be some game, almost impossible to call. Croaghā€™s momentum is very hard to ignore and Iā€™m going to tip them by a point but really, this could go either way.

The second part of the double header in Newcastlewest is G/B vs Effin. Granagh/Ballingarry dismantled Croom in their quarter-final while Effin also had a very comfortable victory over Knockaderry. G/B seem to have a wide range of scorers this year, with Dinny Oā€™Connor, Niall Kennedy and Sean Oā€™Connor all racking up fine tallies and with Dodge at centre-back , have a calm head steering the ship. Similarly, itā€™s probably hard to emphasise how big a difference a quality forward like Paddy Oā€™Donovan can make to a team like Effin; he may be young but it just gives teams another thing to think about it. With the two Quaids & PJ Herr in attack aswell, they have a range of options, and they also have Fergal Oā€™Connor going well at midfield. Nickie is obviously imperious at centre-back and I just think they might have enough here but should be another great contest; Effin by 4.

Intermediate Hurling Relegation Final

Tournafulla vs Feohanagh

Seems a bit cruel to bring two west teams all the way out to Knocklong for a relegation final; must be a full hour from Tour. Nevertheless, this should be another cracking contest, the drop to junior is not easy to contend with, Tour themselves were the last team to come back up after being relegated and that took 9 years to get back. Itā€™s a very very tough division to get out of, just so many teams of relatively similar quality. Feohanagh would have been one of the favourites to get promoted this year, they wonā€™t want to join Murroe/Boher and Monaleen in having an absolute disaster of a season. Obviously a lot of the focus will be on Seamie Flanagan and his brother as key players for Feohanagh. Tour arguably could have been ahead in a quarter-final ahead of Granagh/Ballingarry but conceded a late goal, and had a disaster of a result against H/H. On paper, I do think that Feohanagh are stronger and I will tip them. Is one of the Moroneys or Eoin McMahon going to be able to get a handle on Seamie? I actually think that in the likes of James Brouder, Conor Moroney & Anthony Harnett and with Mike Fitz gone for Feohanagh, that Tour probably have a better spread of attacking talent but itā€™s not so much that a marquee forward like Flanagan wonā€™t make a difference. But another west derby, one of these games that does take a life of its own, but Iā€™m going to tip Feohanagh by 3.

Senior Football Semi-Finals

Galtee Gaels vs Adare
Newcastlewest vs Monaleen

Why these are on at the same time as the hurling semi-finals, I have no idea. Surely they could have been on today. Itā€™s hard to back against the favourites; I do have a sneaking suspicion that Monaleen will give NCW plenty of it, but I think NCW will just about do enough. I canā€™t see Adare losing as much as Iā€™d love to see Gaels in the final. Adare by 7, NCW by 2.

4 Likes

As mentioned, this Junior Championship has been almost impossible to call. This is the last round of group fixtures with seasons on the line in a number of places.

Junior A Hurling Group 1

Doon 2 vs Monaleen 2
Patrickswell 2 vs Askeaton
Mungret/St. Paulā€™s 2 vs Feenagh/Kilmeedy

Mungret have been the most impressive side to date and are already through. Doon and Feenagh/Kilmeedy are both on 5 points each. Monaleen have given a walkover, so there is uncertainty as to whether points difference can be used; I would imagine that it can still be used as long as one of the teams that were given a walkover werenā€™t involved. Now, will Monaleen actually field a team this weekend with a football semi-final also on? I would expect Doon to rack up their points difference if it does go ahead; Doon by 20. Iā€™d nearly expect them to progress anyway, as F/K probably wonā€™t beat Mungret unless Mungret arenā€™t overly bothered. But I expect them to want to continue their momentum, and Iā€™m going to say Mungret by 4. Patrickswell still have an outside chance if Doon somehow donā€™t find the pitch in Ballybricken and I think theyā€™ll beat Askeaton by 5 or so to fulfil their end of the bargain. F/K will really regret losing to the Well last week. If they split the championship for next year based on group finish, we could see F/K in a second tier junior championship.

Junior A Hurling Group 2

Monagea vs Garryspillane 2
Ahane 2 vs St. Kieranā€™s
St. Patrickā€™s vs Kilteely/Dromkeen

Three teams locked on six points, Monagea on 4. Kilteely/Dromkeen and Patā€™s have a massive points advantage over the others but face each other so only one will progress. That should be a serious contest tomorrow afternoon in Cappamore. Kieranā€™s should progress from here, itā€™s hard not to see them beating Ahane; Iā€™ll say Kieranā€™s by 9. Similarly, Monagea will do their bit and should have too much for the Bouncers; Monagea by 6. That leaves us with a winner-takes-all clash between K/D & Patā€™s. A draw just about favours K/D and they had laid down early markers and looked the most impressive team in the opening rounds. Patā€™s really need Hego to pull something out of the bag if they are getting over the line. They have racked up big scores in the last two games but the loss to Kieranā€™s will really hurt. I just feel Kilteely/Dromkeen might have a little bit too much overall, and Iā€™m going to tip them by 2.

Junior A Hurling Group 3

Templeglantine vs Ballybricken/Bohermore
Dromcollogher/Broadford vs Old Christians
Crecora/Manister vs Caherline

This was tipped to be the most interesting group and so it has proved to be. Again, three teams locked on 6 points with Glantine on 4. A disaster of a season for last yearā€™s county semi-finalists Drom/Broadford who appear as if they could be in a second tier junior championship next year. They will still beat Old Christians this weekend by 12 or so but they really would have expected to go through. Any result for Ballybricken/Bohermore should be enough to see them through and even a loss probably wouldnā€™t be enough to knock them out, barring something remarkable points difference-wise. On the basis that Glantine also need something remarkable and are pretty much out, Iā€™ll tip B/B by 2 and to progress. That would make Caherline vs Crecora a straight knockout match. Caherline have the better points difference after a superb victory over D/B, but Crecora have turned things around after an opening round defeat to D/B. They scored a late goal to sneak a win over B/B and to give them a fighting chance in this round. Almost impossible to call, the formlines donā€™t give any real indication. The Cathal Oā€™Neill factor is playing in my head, as do Caherline have someone that can mark him, but Caherline seem to be hugely improved this year. Iā€™d be tempted to go for a draw, but Iā€™ll go for Crecora by 1.

Junior A Hurling Group 4

Killeedy vs Castletown/Ballyagran
Claughaun vs Rathkeale

Missed Ballybrown on Thursday night; they beat the Stakers comfortably but they were already through. Rathkeale vs Claughaun is pretty much meaningless; Iā€™ll tip Rathkeale by 4 on the basis that they may have slightly more interest. That leaves Killeedy vs Castletown/Ballyagran as a straight knockout match. Both sides were surprised by Ballybrown, both would really fancy their chances of winning the competition outright. In the Aherns, Killeedy have that extra bit of scoring power (although they missed a ridiculous amount of frees against Ballybrown) but, for me, C/B definitely have the better all-round team and a bit more grit. Iā€™d still have them as one of the favourites to win it outright, they are just a solid outfit and Iā€™m going to tip them by 4.

4 Likes

Premier Minor semi-finals are on this morning; weā€™re playing Monaleen in MNP in an hour or so.

NCW vs Doon on in Croagh.

1 Like

A cracker of a double header ahead in the Intermediate

A big last quarter required here in NCW from Croaghā€¦.

All to play for in what looks like perfect conditions.

All level 1-12 to 0-15

1 Like

Goal for Croagh Kilfinny!!! We thought it might be square ball but ref gives it!

2 Likes

1-16 to 1-12 for Croagh

First half water break here in Croagh

D/B 0-05
Old Christians 1-3

Scoreboard not in operation, phone coverage is a bit shit and I reckon the attendance in the stand is 27.

Full time here.

C/K 1-17 Bruree 1-12

The Croagh juggernaut rolls on!

12 Likes

Sounds like they delivered. Congratulations.

1 Like