Limerick GAA 2022 - Dual Kings (Part 1)

One game at a time

1 Like

I know we couldnā€™t play at home when we got to Munster Intermediate a few years ago, the choice was Kilmallock or Gaelic Grounds.

1 Like

What was it?

Ballygunner would have to be heavy favourites. The Well are good but Ballygunner would have a much stronger all-round team, you would think.

Although theyā€™re going to have a fairly significant layoff before their first-round game.

Cant see Limerick clubs doing much in Munster,? Did The Well ever win a Munster club?

They got to an AI final one year when Ciaran was only a young fella.

1 Like

Won a couple

1 Like

Iā€™m fairly sure it just has to be a covered stand. Seats arenā€™t a prerequisite.

Car parking, media facilities, toilets and dressing rooms are all taken into account too.

1 Like

Googled it there, they won Munster in ā€˜88 and ā€˜90.

1 Like

Lost the semi-final above in Antrim in 88. To Oā€™Donovan Rossa, if I recall correctly.

Did they get to the final two years later? Almost certain I remember them being up in Croke Park for a game they lost, Carey was only 16/17/18 at the time. It was on his Laochra Gael, Iā€™m almost certain.

1 Like

They lost the 91 final to Glenmore in Croke Park, but Ciaran would have been a little older than that at that stage.

Ballybrown were beaten by Ballyhale at the same stage the year before.

3 Likes

Twice - 88 and 90

Ciaran was 19 then and 21 in 1991

He won his first county medal in 1987v Ballybrown in Kilmallock playing in goal

2 Likes

Kilmallock got to the club final in 1993 v Sarsfield and were beat .

They had a great chance to beat Birr inn1995 semi in thurles

Yep. I remember being at that 87 final. Great atmosphere in Kilmallock as the Mackey was under construction in the GG. Super game too - The Well edged their fellow parishioners by 1-17 to 3-10.

Fuck me, I can remember that and can hardly recall what I did yesterdayā€¦

4 Likes

Ya - the Well met Ballybrown in 1983 final too.

Was that day v Glenmore the day Tony Oā€™Brien dropped dead?

Couldnā€™t say for certain but it would have been around that time alright.

Iā€™ve a feeling that Tony died n Limerick, though. Could be wrong.

Ciaran won a county in goal for the Well in 1987. It was the year it was played in Kilmallock because the Gaelic Grounds was being done up. He was 16 or 17.