Limerick GAA 2022 - Dual Kings (Part 1)

Attended the County Board delegates meeting tonight in the Woodlands. A very informative evening, with the most interesting debate concerning illegal players.

The most common theme here seems to be one whereby a player might have gone to school in a neighbouring parish, but has never lived there nor has no familial links to that parish. Obviously long established senior clubs have benefitted from this, but from talking to a couple of other delegates afterwards, itā€™s equally widespread among intermediate & junior clubs. For example, in the east, Hospital Herbertstown is haemorrhaging players to the likes of Caherline and Ballybricken. Lads from
Herbertstown going to school in Caherelly and then choosing either of the latter two clubs. Crecora parish goes right into Patrickswell village, and some of the Well squad are technically born and reared in Crecora. Similar issue back west where Glin goes right into Ballyhahill, lads being sent to school in the latter, born and raised in the former, yet turning out for Gerald Griffins. Thereā€™s a hundred more examples from across the county.

Thereā€™s increasing consternation in rural clubs located near to the city. Parts of Ahane, South Liberties, Ballybrown and Patrickswell are now officially within the city boundary since the 2014 merging of the City & County Councils. Any of those clubs could legally lose players to existing city teams such as Mungret, Monaleen, Na Piarsaigh, etc. Since there is no defined parish lines within the city, itā€™s almost treated as once big parish where a player can choose his club once it is inside the city boundary limits.

So the Co Board want clubs to agree a ā€œdefined catchmentā€ area between them by next summer. This includes ā€œcultural tiesā€ or ā€œhistorical precedenceā€ whereby there has been a long established history of players from one particular area playing with a club that may be located in a neighbouring parish - for example some players from Rathkeale parish have traditionally chosen to play their football with neighbouring St Kierans. Likewise, a few from Old Mill in St Kierans parish have lined out for nearby Newcastlewest down through the years.

If such catchment areas cannot be established/regularised, then the CB will vigorously enforce the parish rule as it currently stands (except in scenarios where there is no football/hurling club in a particular parish and a player may seek to line out for a neighbouring parish e.g. Ballylanders natives playing hurling with Garryspillane). Any club can legally raise an issue with an illegal opposition player obviously, but it seems CB will be clamping down on illegal players even more come next August if agreements between clubs cannot be reached on catchment areas.

Other nuggets of information gleamed on the night:

CB raised ā‚¬103,000 from the ā€˜Win A Kugaā€™ fundraiser, which ironically was won by a Laois woman.

Construction on the stand in Mick Neville Park will commence in the next fortnight, with a precast concrete structure due to be put in place. The 900 seater stand will be a modular unit. Banagher Precast Construction are involved, they also received the contract for the new Everton stadium. I canā€™t think of a much bigger honour than laying concrete for bums on seats in Rathkeale though.

Profit and Loss accounts indicated that Limerick GAA went from making a ā‚¬60k profit margin in 2019 to a ā‚¬27k loss in 2020. Which isnā€™t that bad a figure, all things considered.

A 2022 Season Ticket will be available, with the usual club/inter county options. They hope to link the Club Ticket option back to individual club membership though, so that some of the funds from ticket sales go directly back to the purchasers own club.

All proposed inter-county management teams were ratified on the night. Bad news for all the other inter county teams on the senior hurling front there :smiley:

26 Likes

InformativešŸ‘

1 Like

Give us a few names of lads whoā€™ve been playing illegally over the years. Sounds like Kilmallock and The Well could be in trouble.

The parish rule is strictly enforced in kk. You go and thatā€™s it. I had to go myself.

1 Like

I think it much more difficult to enforce these days. With GAA becoming so popular at the younger ages, parents from a non traditional GAA background see it more like soccer where you just go with whatā€™s most convenient. Some parents have absolutely no concept of the idea of a ā€œparish ruleā€.

3 Likes

You might think that.

Added to the urbanisation of society where itā€™s fairly meaningless anyways.

A buddy of mine has to send his youngfella to aghada for hurling. Heā€™s from cloyne. Its eating him up inside.

Heā€™s trying to get herself to move back to Cloyne

1 Like

Iā€™m not going to stir it by naming players and drawing ire on me. Players have their own reasons for playing with certain clubs.

Just out of interest, what do you mean by ā€œyou had to goā€?

I lived two miles from Thomastown, and went to school there, but about six miles from Bennettsbridge. Once you got good enough for U16 the car called up from the 'Bridge and you got into it. We didnā€™t mind. Same as all my brothers before me. Bennettsbridge is in the parish of Tulaherin, which extends that far down.

There was only a few clashes between U14 and U16, so Thomastown started sending a car as well. It was a case of whichever car called first. We lost the U16 county final to Thomastown. It was a sore one.

The case of the Hogan brothers being driven from the 'Bridge to Danesfort was well publicised in the past. Danesfort parish comes right into the bridge itself.

Iā€™m a bit confused reading that.

Were you playing 14s with one club and 16s with another ??

Could they not just say, here are the boundaries and in here is a grey area which is bandit country, where shenanigans are encouraged. The Kilcornan rule they could call it. cc @Aristotle

2 Likes

Sounds like heā€™d get into the car with anyone who asked

5 Likes

There can be no rule of law in Bandit terrritory

1 Like

I know a fella who was waiting for a lift to an U14 match, and didnt realise heā€™d been picked up a mentors from a neighbouring club until he was handed the jersey in the dressing room. He played for fear of not getting a lift home. Twas the early 90ā€™s. A different time.

Oh and that happened.

Dangerous game getting into strangers cars in the midlands in the 90s

1 Like

Especially around the midlands, but shur we knew no better at the time. He was standing outside his house with his hurl and gearbag and yer man pulled up with a few lads togged out to go play a hurling match. In yer mans defense the boundary around that area was a bit debatable and back then few if any lads were really tagged yet as being with one club or the other. We only started hurling around U12 back then.

So you actually live in the parish of Tullaherin, am I reading that right? Then there should be no issue with you lining out for Bennettsbridge.

I know of three Kilcornan natives - one lining out for Cappagh, one for Kildimo/Pallaskenry and one with Askeaton. I can totally understand it.

Yea, U14s was more national schools orientated, then 16s was club. That seemed to be the acceptable cut-off. I never ended up playing against Thomastown U16, while still playing U14 for them, mainly because of the North/South divide, but it could have happened.

I got split at the throw-in of the U16 final. I wasnā€™t right after it to be honest.