Limerick GAA 2022 - Dual Kings (Part 1)

It was definitely a thing in Limerick, I know a lad who had to sit out a year.
Don’t know if it was ever removed.

1 Like

Play with your club simple as. There’s more pride playing junior and battling for more than easy medals woth a bigger club. Hopefully someday fellas who jump get their kumupence when the smaller club rises up with buckets of trophies

It appears that spark that ignited the flame regarding CB addressing issue of illegal players is a dispute over a player between Rathkeale & Knockaderry.

“players”

“One” player in particular though.

There’s 9 in total off that u19 team that Knockaderry beat rathkeale in a couple of weeks ago.

1 Like

Is that Rarhkeale & Croagh /Kilfinny & Cappafh that Knocksderry faced

1 Like

Wasn’t in hurling anyway. C/K-Rathkeale didnt face Knockaderry in u19 level this year.

1 Like

Rathkeale, Croagh/Kilfinny & Cappagh, complaining about Knockaderry

2 Likes

It’s u19 B football, was discussed in the private group last week

1 Like

Croagh/Killfinny/Cappagh knew nothing about the appeal, one man on a crusade!

1 Like

@dodgy_keeper might confirm - does Rathkeale parish nearly go in to Ballingarry village ???

Think it does, croagh kilfinny would be very close to the village too

1 Like

There’s a right turn with a sign for a furniture workshop just before the church (as you come towards the village ). That’s in Rathkeale.

1 Like

County final weekend, the top three tiers of Limerick hurling all to be decided and all of them are very hard to call. You’d be hoping for three really good games.

Senior Hurling Final

Patrickswell (1/2) vs Kilmallock (15/8)

Patrickswell are stronger favourites with the bookies than perhaps they are in real life. They are favoured because they beat Na Piarsaigh and because of who their marquee players are. But, in reality, the manner of Kilmallock’s semi-final victory was more impressive, a comprehensive victory against Doon. Both had blips on the way, Kilmallock sneaked past Ballybrown and were beaten well by Na Piarsaigh while Patrickswell were blessed to get through against Adare.

Kilmallock have racked up some big scores, they do a lot of their shooting from outside. The accuracy of Mícheál Houlihan and David Woulfe in particular have been noted, while Oisín O’Reilly has been in sensational form. Again, I think Patrickswell will be better suited to dealing with O’Reilly but do have the question as to how they stop Kilmallock’s shooters from distance, they don’t want to leave a load of space inside for Graeme who is also coming into form.

When Patrickswell feed Gillane inside, they look a huge threat. But Adare nullified him by man marking him with Ronan Connolly and sitting John Fitzgibbon right in front of him as sweeper. Will Kilmallock do that or will they just try and go one-on-one? I think he has the beating of any of the Kilmallock full-back line tbh. But it’s not a one-man show by any means, Kevin O’Brien was arguably even better than him the last day, another direct runner who causes problem; Josh Considine has added another dimension by attacking from wing-back while Lynch links it all together.

I think it should be a cracker, could go either way, I’m going to tip Patrickswell by 2.

Premier Intermediate Hurling Final

Mungret/St. Paul’s (2/5) vs Cappamore (9/4)

I haven’t seen as much of this grade as I would have liked this year with all the matches being on at the same time. Cappamore are surprise finalists, having been very poor in reality last year. However, they were senior only three seasons ago and appear to have introduced a few decent youngsters to complement the backbone of players they already had. A few of the older heads are gone but they have added more firepower to their natural doggedness. Mungret have been there or thereabouts at this grade for the past three or four years, beaten finalists last year and are definitely strong favourites to go up this time. They’ve also added a few players to last year’s team, there have been a couple of positional switches too which seem to have worked; Begley to centre-back, Brian Barry has done a job in attack while Liam Lynch has added support to the likes of Paul O’Brien & Niall Mulcahy in attack.

Liam Cronin is over them and now has to go up against his native club; and there really wasn’t much between these sides when they played in the group stage. Again, I think Mungret are probably deserving favourites but you would not be in any way surprised if Cappamore had learned more along the way and were able to fight their way to victory. But I’m going to go with Mungret, I think they do have more hurling ability, more firepower and although there may be a small weakness at the back still, they should have enough to win by 4.

Intermediate Hurling Final

Effin (4/7) vs Croagh/Kilfinny (6/4)

This will arguably be the game of the weekend this afternoon. Last year’s junior champions, Croagh/Kilfinny, haven’t lost a match in almost two years and have unbelievable momentum behind them. They overcame Na Piarsaigh in the quarter-final having lost Seamus Hickey to a very early red card; they looked down and out against Bruree but rattled in a goal and a number of points without reply to take the game in the final 15 minutes. Sometimes it’s hard to stop a team winning. A lot of people are asking whether Jack Lenihan is good enough for the Limerick seniors, Barry Lenihan will do a job on Paddy O’Donovan that maybe other teams haven’t been able to do and they are also backboned by footballers like Adam Shanagher & Kevin Shanahan who offer a huge amount in that middle third.

Effin have undoubtedly been the most impressive team in this division overall, they’ve racked up some great victories and some big margins in doing so. Nickie Quaid at centre-back is a class act, just unbelievable composure, he dictates game and runs the show. C/K will presumably try and attack down the flanks and disrupt him on the ball as much as possible, and while they have players that will do a job of that, it’s hard to see Nickie being too flustered. Paddy O’Donovan has been their marquee player, his low of centre of gravity, work rate and footwork in addition to his natural ability to score make him a nightmare to play against. He racked up a huge tally in the semi-final and has been a standout figure all year. It’ll be a tough ask for Barry Lenihan to pick him up but if he can nullify him, that will go a huge way to helping them. They also have Tommy Quaid inside, Jack Quaid outside, Sean Canning & Fergal O’Connor, all good hurlers. They seem to be really motoring well.

This should be a serious contest and although I’m hoping Croagh do it, I just think Effin might have that bit too much. Effin by 3.

8 Likes

Is the county final on TG4?

Yes. 3:45

3 Likes

Thanks

I’m going for a kilmallock victory.hard to judge Patrickswell win over Na Piarsaigh because of all of their injuries which was always going to catch up with them.
It will be undoubtedly be a close contest but I think kilmallock will have the edge.they have big physical players in every line which is nearly more of an advantage than skill this late in the year.
O Reilly seems to have gotten a new lease of life since going centre forward.his pace seems to be better utilised out there than in the corner.his battle with Diarmaid Byrne’s will be intrigueing.
Two teams who know how to win going to battle for an hour all the makings of a great match.

2 Likes

Did Barry hennessy get married during the week? Poor timing planning a wedding the week of the county final since the date was announced months ago