Limerick GAA 2022 - Dual Kings (Part 1)

Second half water break: Effin 0-18 Croagh/Kilfinny 0-10.

Despite losing Nickie, Effin have kept Croagh at arm’s length. They have responded to every Croagh score with a point of their own and was a very professional third quarter. Croagh will need a goal but the Effin backline looks very strong. Effin scores not coming as freely as they did early on but that’s the wind, I suppose. O’Kelly had a goal chance which he popped over which would have killed it.

Croagh have to go for broke, I think they need to push Hickey up.

penalty, superb by POD

Penalty for Effin straight away! Paddy O’Donovan creates the chance, pops it to Tommie, gets fouled. Wild pull by Denis Lenihan.

Saved!

Unreal save from Lynch, from Jack Quaid.

Superb save by Dave Lynch from Jack Quaid penalty.
Paddy O Donovan knocks over the resulting 65.

19-10 to Effin.

POD starting to dominate, even though a free given against him.

C/K getting a little more joy here with 3 points on the spin. One of which from Kevin Shanahan should have been a goal.

His footwork is top class.

That last point of his, even the C/K fans were applauding.

Tommie has been absolutely split open, accidentally it looked like.

And another unbelievable point from POD. Sheer class.

Effin 0-22 Croagh/Kilfinny 0-15

Croagh had a couple of opportunities to create goal chances but took points; at that stage, they probably needed the goals. Barry Lenihan battled manfully throughout but Paddy O’Donovan really stepped up in the second half. He just has all the raw materials you need to be a top class hurler. He’s a little small but he’s an unbelievable talent.

Effin just have a wider range of shooters, and made much better use of the wind. I thought the likes of Conor Kearney & Fergal O’Connor were very good for them.

Getting to a final in the first year at the grade is certainly impressive for Croagh. Not there yet but a very young team, and you’d imagine are only going to improve.

1 Like

The second half was a real hard hitting rough and tumble affair. Some big hits, Tommy came off worst for sure in one of them, think it might have been accidental from C/K midfielder Adam Shanagher.

Blood spilt alright

Croagh’s running game is a difficult one to pursue in winter hurling and the more direct approach of Effin was key to their victory in NCW today. C/K got turned over in possession too often, passing moves broke down or the ball didn’t stick. Effin were more composed throughout. In Fergal O’Connor, the three Quaids and Patrick O’Donovan they had players who could dictate the play. And although Seamus Hickey had his moments for C/K, the main scoring threat Jack Lenihan never really got going.

It was apparent from a long way out this year that Effin were the team to beat and so it transpired. I think they’ll be very competitive at Premier grade.
C/K had an outstanding calendar year, in winning Junior for the first time in their history, then claiming the County League. Before making it all the way to the Intermediate Final. We are a very young team (Seamus Hickey & Tom McMahon excepted) so I expect a lot more to come from these boys in the next few years.

3 Likes

The old brigade keeping Ahane up:

Seanie O’Connor & Johnny Meskell

1 Like

You’re some dope :smile: not for the first time either.

Did he do a @Raylan in the barbers on it there? :see_no_evil:

What’s your problem :smiley:

1 Like

Everyone knows who I am, and if they don’t, that’s their loss :grin: