Limerick GAA 2022 - Dual Kings (Part 1)

Tis only an aul winter blitz :sweat_smile:

This weekend; Sunday I think?

It’s at 3pm in the Gaelic Grounds anyway, either Saturday or Sunday.

That’s mad. Obviously Na Piarsaigh’s dominance at the grade has come at a time when they’ve had a fair few seniors too. Kilmallock also won a few seniors with the teams that would have won 21s titles.

Surely Doon’s time is coming. The Well are probably the outlier but have been in a lot of finals too.

Would have been nice for someone like the Bouncers to win it this year, couldn’t translate that underage dominance to U-21. Suppose they don’t have Adam English.

With the numbers Mungret and Monaleen have it’s a fright they don’t do better

They said similar of Na P for 2 decades

True. Still, fair enough at senior level but underage the numbers should always be the factor. Like Fr Casey’s and NCW cleaning up in the big ball

NCW’s strength in underage football has more or less evaporated. Contrast that with their rise in fortunes at underage level in the Premier grade of hurling and their promotion to Premier Intermediate.

When the current NCW Senior Football side starts to break up, that’ll be that. You’ll be looking at a hurling club then with a football problem instead of the other way around.

Caseys on the other hand… fuckin joke. Win all round them at underage and won’t be winning anything at Senior any time soon. I suppose it’s hardly a surprise they have such underage football success. Are they the only town in the county that are solely a football only club? And let’s not go into how much easier it is to win titles in football than it is in hurling (far easier)

2 Likes

I dunno, they were in the minor final this year again. I see them as a strong dual club rather than one over the other, even if hurling continues to strengthen I can’t imagine a traditional football stronghold like that just fading.

Caseys should most definitely be winning more. Whatever about senior level, they haven’t even won an u21 title in donkeys years despite many successful minor groups

1 Like

Caseys did something like 4 in a row 21s titles around 2008 - 2011 I think and did fuck all at Senior

2 Likes

Last time they were in the senior final was 09 I think. They probably have 7/8 minors won since then.

do lads move out of abbeyfeale after school and never go back?

that is the bottom line, whole thing had to be changed because no one had the balls to stand up to the inter county manager

1 Like

They’re a mess. The potential they’ve had to dominate for years and it’s always fucked away. Monaleen could be the rising team, they seemed second best this year. I do agree about NCW having a golden generation however. Likes of Sheehan, Corbett, O Keeffe, Hurley’s, AJ O Connor. They won’t have a side like that again no matter what comes through

I think the issue is that there is far too much store put in Minor titles. Let’s call a spade a spade, some incredibly mediocre sides win Minor Football titles in Limerick. The standard is poor. Caseys have had some recent Minor winning teams that were very very ordinary. They are feted as stars in the town then and it’s a case of rinse and repeat. I’m not sure if any of those recent Minor sides had much outstanding talent at all in them.

That’s true. It doesn’t take a whole pile to go far or win one. 21s has been high-ish standard in more recent years in comparison to long ago, but still nothing special.

Sunday at 3, TUS Gaelic grounds.

1 Like

Almost missed this one.
A great man entirely.

5 Likes

Big win for NCW. Mountcollins got expectedly hammered

Big win? They struggled to get over the line at home against the Waterford champions who were down 5 players in an absolutely dire affair…a win yes, but a ‘big win’?

The Nire have been in a few munster finals in the last 10 years

Limerick clubs have a shocking record in munster

Any win is a big win

1 Like