Limerick GAA 2022 - Dual Kings (Part 1)

Gerry marked Ned. That’s sad. Ned was a great man.

I’m not sure when Peter Casey will be back but that last space on the limerick team looks to be up for grabs again.

Adam English could have a chance of making a quick break through. Hard to see Graeme nailing down a spot again.

I’d expect CON to set it alight this year. People are sleeping on him just because English was excellent last year. CON has that extra year training with Kiely and co

2 Likes

Maybe but I wasn’t overly impressed with him the few times I saw him. Obviously very young. A little big surprised he didn’t get a run out in the final.

I like English. Very strong on the ball which is vital too. It’ll be interesting anyway.

Conor coughlan looks seriously talented he’ll be pushing very hard to start.

Coughlan is a monster of a man

Brian Fanning gone now too. Big blow

Looks like they are sold out now. Was at checkout with them on Friday and got distracted with something else. Fuming with myself.

Changed to Sunday at 2pm in TUS Gaelic Grounds.

1 Like

Has DOC any chance of making that spot in the corner his own?

Perfect suits me better than Friday night no rushing up after work

Not good enough

Tried yesterday also . Couldn’t get any . You are probably right .

Confirmed sold out. Not sure what the cap is, I think it’s around 3.5k. Dublin and Mayo are usually the only counties to hit the cap.

Is this Bandwagon the new Munster rugby ??

1 Like

Minor Hurling 2014. 7 of that panel started on August 22nd last, will never again happen that we’ll get so many from a minor team.

13 Likes

That was a very exciting match actually.

Cork scored a late goal and had a late 21 yard free at an angle to snatch it but it was blocked and cleared away. Flanagan and Peter Casey were brilliant that night.

Be interesting to see the Cork team from that night and how many of them started last August. Kingston maybe…?

2 Likes

How many Hall of Famers🤣?

2 Likes

Also, I make it 9 more that have at least one All Ireland medal in the arse pocket!

1 Like

Limerick survive late scare

By Diarmuid O’Flynn for the Irish Examiner newspaper

Limerick 0-23 Cork 2-15

Limerick remain on course to retain their Munster MHC title after this two-point win over Cork at the Gaelic Grounds last night. But it was close, very close. On the back of a powerful second half the champions built a comfortable five-point lead on Cork (0-23 to 1-15) as the game went into injury-time. But a cracking Cork goal by Dayne Lee, after a good run and pass by Luke Meade, took the wind out of Limerick sails and the final dramatic three minutes were played out almost entirely in the Limerick half, much of that in and around the red zone.

With time almost up Cork won a free just outside the 20m line and keeper and captain Patrick Collins — who plays outfield for his club, Ballinhassig — was called forward to do the honours. Patrick made good contact but his counterpart in the Limerick goal, Eoghan McNamara, was equal to it and deflected the shot out for a 65. Midfielder Daniel Meaney took the 65, dropped the ball short, but the danger was cleared, the final whistle sounded and Limerick could celebrate.

In truth, and even allowing for an earlier penalty save by McNamara from Cork centre-back Alan O’Callaghan (40m), had Cork goaled in those final minutes it would have been grand theft because, overall, Limerick were the better side. Cork were game, they were gallant, and in Sean Hayes/Kingston/Lee they had a fine half-forward line. Overall, however, Limerick were more balanced and with Paddy O’Loughlin and Ronan Lynch anchoring the defence, the sublime Cian Lynch orchestrating matters in midfield, they had far more options up front, far more threat. It took until the second half for that threat to really manifest itself but when it did, they did look the part.

The first half was marred by injury to two Cork players, corner-back Shane O’Brien (8m) and roving corner-forward Darren Casey (22m), both entailing lengthy stoppages as the players were attended to on the pitch. It meant nine minutes of injury-time in which we saw probably more action than the almost the rest of the half. It also meant Cork manager Denis Ring and his selectors were forced into early changes, which didn’t help their cause.

Nonetheless, Cork were level at the break, 0-11 to 1-8, their goal coming in the third minute of the nine added on, the powerful Kingston doubling on a perfect pass from the soaring Hayes. That score put Cork a goal ahead (1-7 to 0-7) and Dayne Lee extended that lead with a fine point a couple of minutes later.

The final minutes of the half, however, were dominated by Limerick, four points on the trot, sweet-striking free-taker Colin Ryan with three of those, leaving it level. Limerick continued their dominance on the resumption, added five points (the ever-dangerous Tom Morrissey with a hat-trick) to make it nine on the trot and see them take a grip on this game.

Cork did settle, eventually, and from there to the end of normal time matched Limerick point for point; Kingston (three), Hayes (two) doing most of their scoring, while Ryan, Peter Casey and Ronan Lynch each had a brace for Limerick. The visitors also had chances, not least that saved penalty, but still, that five-point difference as the game entered injury-time looked just about right. Then came that Lee goal, that late drama.Fair result, but fair play to Cork also, they came to party and did make a fight of it.

Scorers for Limerick: C Ryan 0-7 (4f); T Morrissey 0-5; P Casey 0-3; R Lynch 0-3 (3f); S Flanagan 0-2; C Lynch, R Hanley, C Fitzgerald 0-1 each.

Scorers for Cork: S Kingston 1-3; D Lee 1-3; S Hayes 0-4 (3f); A O’Callaghan 0-3 (2f, 1 65); L Meade, J Looney 0-1 each.

LIMERICK: E McNamara (Doon); S Finn (Bruff), P O’Loughlin (Kilmallock), J Porter (Monaleen); L Lyons (Monaleen), R Lynch Na Piarsaigh), A La Touche Cosgrave (Monaleen); T Grimes (Na Piarsaigh), C Lynch (capt., Patrickswell); C Ryan (Pallasgreen), B Nash (South Liberties), S Flanagan (Feohanagh/Castlemahon); P Casey (Na Piarsaigh), T Morrissey (Ahane), C Fitzgerald (Claughaun).

Subs: R Hanley (Kilmallock) for Porter (30+3); E Doyle (Monaleen) for Grimes (36); A Gillane (Patrickswell) for Flanagan (57).

CORK: P Collins (capt, Ballinhassig); C Walsh (St. Finbarr’s), S Bourke (Grenagh), S O’Brien (St. Catherine’s); O Dempsey (Youghal), A O’Callaghan (Blackrock), D Browne (Cuchulainn’s); S O’Donoghue (Inniscarra), D Meaney (Blackrock); D Lee (Na Piarsaigh), S Kingston (Douglas), S Hayes (Mallow); D Casey (Charleville), E Keniry (Killeagh/St Ita’s), L Meade (Newcestown).

Subs: D Dooling (Glen Rovers) for O’Brien (inj. 18); J Good (Tracton) for Casey (inj. 22); J Looney (Aghada) for Dempsey (39); T O’Connor (Inniscarra) for Good (46); M Dolan (Douglas) for Keniry (53).

Referee: P Foley (Waterford).

3 Likes

And a Connacht rugby player too

1 Like