Limerick GAA 2022 - Dual Kings (Part 1)

Coaching DOG, Allen, JBM

But Midleton have nothing to do with the big 3 in the city, I donā€™t know what point youā€™re making but at the same time I didnā€™t realise you were going back nearly 40 years to begin the decline of Cork hurling either.
It is true that before 1980 the city clubs dominated Cirk hurling and the inter county team was very successful

Johnny Buckley? He was a bit part player, rarely started championship matches for Cork.
I left out loads of lads who I donā€™t feel were great hurlers, Pat Hartnett, Ger Fitz would be harder done by, those guys were good but not great inter county hurlers

is the big 3, the rockies, barrs and the glen?

blackrock won counties in 99 - 02 would have tied in with all irelands

That would have been the original big 3 yes.
Blackrock had a period of dominance before Newtowns ascent, neither the Barrs nor the Glen would have gone into a season as bookies favourites for a long long time, but all 3 are reasonably competitive at the moment

there was a good few Rockies on it in 99 wasnā€™t there?

3 and a sub

1 Like

None of these sides produced anything on a consistent basis and were a complete irrelevance wrt to producing senior intercounty players with a handful of exceptions. Didnt matter becoz the big 3 were producing generations of senior intercounty std players for the guts of century.

Itā€™s what we do best kid.

In a county like Cork, with so many clubs, itā€™s probably more important that they produce players across the board simply because of the sheer number of clubs available.

I donā€™t know what the demographics of those clubs are, but I imagine itā€™s much like city teams everywhere, and that it is primarily an aging population. Claughaun were a traditionally big club in Limerick but havenā€™t produced a senior hurler in a long time (Mike Galligan, Iā€™d say). Na Piarsaigh, Monaleen & Mungret are now the teams with the biggest numbers underage.

I imagine itā€™s similar in Cork, I donā€™t really know who the equivalent clubs are- Douglas and the likes? Cork probably get a relatively small amount intercounty wise from big population centres like Ballincollig, Carrigaline, Fermoy, Mallow.

3 things are a necessity for Limerick success, for the stars to align, so to speak.

1. A team backboned by 2 or 3 Patrickswell players

2. A couple of West lads thrown in to add a bit of cut and steel and cult icon status.

3. Some form of extreme weather

12 Likes

Yeah sounds about right. some of the west ones are intense enough such as Tour Killeedy or Castlemahon Knockaderry. Football back west too, Caseyā€™s and NCW is a bitter one

Iā€™d say Byrnes, Gillane, Cian lynch, barry foley, ciaran Carey and Gary Kirby are the only Pwell players in the last 30 odd years to play 10 plus championship games for limerick. 5 of them have all stars.

Paul o Grady maybe played ten games but Iā€™m not sure.

Murray for 1 anyway

1 Like

Yep sorry meant to include him and heā€™s an star too.

6 out of 7.

5 hours :joy:

Iā€™d say Oā€™Grady played ten alright.

Anthony Carmody was on the panel a few years but not sure if he played 10 games in the shorter format. Championship.

Eoin Foley should have had way more than 10 but Iā€™d say he never got there or if he did just about

1 Like

Ballygunner to Thurles is 90 minutes each way and youā€™d be the bones of 2 hours at the game itself.

A long day.

Duignan not a fan of the loan system.