Limerick GAA 2022 - Dual Kings (Part 1)

Aside from what the players get out of it, the spectacles of both competitions are shadows of what they were.

Yep. I’d say both Gillane and hegarty both really only made an impact for Limerick in their final year as 21s.

Things could be different if it was under 20s.

20s is too young anyway. Easy to be distracted finishing school and starting college too.

I think under 21s is much fairer.

1 Like

Tis the way its gone now anyway you need 3 years of S&C to get to the level required. Unless you are a freak you aren’t ready at 19. See the young hurler of the year now. They barely come up with three candidates

2 Likes

Yep and 20s is a poor standard too.

Under 21s with senior lads playing meant the step up to senior level was a little bit easier.

The gap is much bigger now. It probably means you’ve to do a year or two as a sub and that’s tough on players.

It’s a sign the sport has become more professional. That’s what you can see in other professional sports, lads of 18 are rarely ready at that age to break through at the elite level, same is just starting to happen in GAA now, natural evolution. It doesn’t mean the young players are any less talented than they ever were

The great KK team were a microcosm of that. Standards were so high two unbelievable players in Richie Hogan and TJ Reid could not break into those sides until they were mid 20s. Wasn’t Reid still a sub at 23 or 24, Hogan similar

I dunno in rugby it’s getting younger and younger.

I think they’ve created a huge gap between senior and under 20s now.

Under 21s was a very good standard and you nearly always had a fair few senior lads playing. It upped the standard significantly.

Even know with the league and championship so close together and the season condensed it’ll be tougher for managers to blood lads.

2 Likes

Richie Hogan started an AI Final at 21.

In soccer you still see plenty young lads breaking through.

The GAA have fucked up somewhere along the line

That UL team only used one player without inter County expirence iirc

Some change in a few years.

They beat a UCC team in 2018 that had Mikey Breen, Conor Gleeson, Tom Devine, John Power, Shane Kingston, Darragh Fitzgibbon and a few more by 20 odd points. All those mentioned above had been playing in All Ireland Semi Final’s and Finals in the years prior to that.

Would all lads still be heading to college? I know the economy is picking up again would there be more fellas back doing trades and stuff?

Ask some of your servants

How much has the pandemic had an effect of the development of players 18-21 who were outside of senior IC teams? We probably won’t see for another year or two but I imagine it’ll effect some fellas development.

Liam Sheedy: Bravery at the restart vital to put regal Limerick on the back foot

Kinnerk code: Making Limerick the great problem-solvers

Enda McEvoy: How long can Limerick last at the top of the mountain?

BOX OFFICE

The greatest team of all time.

1 Like

It’s a dynasty.

The Wilt Chamberlain of hurling.

A short few years ago we couldn’t get promoted out of division 1B for years on end. Bananas stuff.

3 Likes

Diarmuid O’Sullivan will come up with something to counteract Kinnerk.

4 Likes

All they need is more Corkness

1 Like