Limerick GAA 2022 - Dual Kings (Part 1)

We need to divert all that money to football

12 Likes

Cant complain about the result. Once the ball went past midfield, we couldn’t do anything constructive with it. Hit some atrocious wides as did Wexford. Thought we were just getting a foothold on the game when Wexford goaled and that was the shot in the arm they needed to get over the line.
The full forward line were terrible.

3 Likes

Nothing stuck in the inside forward line and the work rate wasn’t great either

That said Limerick shot a lot of wides although never looked like getting a goal .

Wexford missed 3 goal chances tbh

Good workout that should inform training going forward .

2 Likes

The footballers scored more than the hurlers this weekend #powershift

1 Like

Hego did savage work keeping.g the scoreboard ticking. Himself and Nash were outstanding

Our tactics employ a very particular style that relies on massive skill levels under pressure and huge work rate (& fitness) from our midfield & half-forwards.

I would say all of those areas were lacking today. Normally, we are very slick moving the ball in tight spaces but even when we broke one tackle, Wexford would have two more bodies and we’d be taking it into contact, the ball would become dislodged.

And, probably also part of that, and the biggest problem overall, the support running was largely very poor. Normally, we look class because we have options coming in all directions. That wasn’t there today. The half-forward line were dropping back to support but then were not getting forward as quickly as they should. When that happens, the whole thing looks poor.

And then we’re not delivering the ball from the right areas. When we did deliver alright ball, it didn’t stick, Gillane & Simon had poor outings. Flanagan & OOR weren’t much better tbh. I thought Reidy did well in the first half but I still don’t think he’s an inside forward.

Overall, an absolutely atrocious game. Wexford showed good heart & stuff to win and they did deserve it but jesus, they wasted an awful lot of ball aswell. Fanning lumping the ball long for the entirety of the second half didn’t really work.

You wouldn’t be getting too worried about the performance though, maybe we got lulled into a false sense of security after our subs walking all over Kerry & Clare and looking slick in the process. In reality, these lads are only just back training and when pressure was applied today, they looked rusty. We had a few poor outings in last year’s league, I wouldn’t worry too much about that side of it. In terms of players competing for Championship places, a few fellas didn’t do themselves any favours today. And really, there aren’t that many more chances available.

12 Likes

The full back and half back lines were generally very good. Hegarty grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck but his radar was off.

1 Like

Great to have a Drom man on the team :grimacing:

2 Likes

I wouldnt be too worried myself about the game, performance as a team was poor and kiely will have a size 10 up their holes. A few positives can be taken as I said the 2 boys, your correct on the full back line, hannon was good in difficult day, Byrnes’s wides usually go unnoticed when Limerick rack up 25 scores but we could have done with a few go over.

1 Like

Just back from Chadwicks Wexford Park.

Our reign of terror is over, unfortunately. No complaints, Wexford were better. Just makes the achievements of the 2020 Invincibles all the more impressive.

A grand trip, result aside. How that little tyrant did that travel for five years up and down from Sixmilebridge is beyond me, irrespective of what expenses he was getting.

Savage carvery in The Whitford as ever, bumped into @iron_mike - pleased to report he’s looking strong and healthy. Went for pints in The Crown last night, the place was hopping.

The match itself wasn’t much of a spectacle. In fact it was pretty dire. Still, as it was close it was always strangely absorbing.

Thought the full back trio were easily our best line. Nash was unreal, his adaptation to the role has been nothing short of miraculous. Where do you fit in Sean Finn…??!!

Hannon had a fine game too, Hego mixed the sublime with the terrible, Tom worked hard but other than that it was slim pickings. We got zero bounce from our subs either. Sad to say that a few lads have missed chances in the last few weeks to nail down positions. Still relying on the core 18/19 players.

It was just strangely lethargic. Reminiscent of some of the league displays last year.

Anyway we move on to next Saturday night now.

One final thing. That New Ross bypass is unreal.

17 Likes

Limerick pay 20 times more than Clare and this is all they can muster?!

We are done

I think we all knew that come championship we’d most likely be back to the same 14 as last year plus AN Other to replace casey, bar a bit of Munster league rotation. Bit disappointing that some of the lads that got a chance didn’t make more of a case for themselves. No fear of Limerick at all, think we’ll be back to the level we were last year at least by summer. And not to overstate it but that game should give other counties a bit of hope to see Limerick are human and can be got at. Obviously Limerick will improve but so will everyone else and they’ll think if Wexford can put it up to Limerick we definitely can. I’d also say that Wexford looked a fine team and who knows what they could do.

1 Like

Hard to really judge Wexford on that. I think they can only improve from where they were anyway and that Leinster is wide open this year. I’ll go out on a limb and call a Dublin vs Wexford Leinster Final. Which would be fantastic for the sport.

I would not read anything into Limericks performance yet. Richie English is the only man properly threatenin’ yet tho.

1 Like

Just watching the replay here cos I missed the 2nd half. It’s 11-9 to Limerick with 15 mins left. I presume it’s a handy win for the reigning All Ireland champions from here

Fuck me that’s an awful wide

Mikey Dwyer just made an absolute fool out of 4 Limerick lads there for that goal

This Byrne’s lad appears beyond headless

It’s like watching @Watchyourtoes beloved 49ers in that Super Bowl game that was shown last night

1 Like

Its gas off the puck out morrissey gives away a free for steps :man_shrugging:

:thinking: we’re you with the crew in Limerick jerseys?

Some size of a place now. I hadn’t been in there in about ten years.

Open top bus for Wexford tomorrow :oncoming_bus:

1 Like