Limerick GAA 2022 - Dual Kings (Part 1)

I know we spent a couple of years going in to Scoil Íde but were castigated by games development as Abbey were giving out. Yet they did fuck all. Also ghĂ© principal was a parteen man and promoted them over any other club

1 Like

how many teams do Abbey field? 1 adult a few juveniles?? both codes?

They haven’t fielded an adult team in years.

They might have fielded an U-10 or U-12 team in recent years but they haven’t fielded any teams at any older age groups in a long time.

A good example of a GAA club getting off the ground and gaining traction is Tralee Parnells Hurling and Camogie Club in Kerry

They took their name from a Tralee Parnells GAA club that existed in the early 1900s before it disbanded when the club broke into 3 seperate clubs to cater for the different sections of the town.

When hurling enthusiasts wanted a hurling club in the town circa 10 years ago, it took on the Parnells name. Have juvenile teams at all age groups now , 2 adult teams and will be playing in the Kerry senior hurling championship before too long

Have very good numbers in camogie too

There was a gap in the town for a hurling and camogie club, so close to the north kerry hurling clubs, people from there living in Tralee and from strong hurling counties living in Tralee

Austin Stacks had a good tradition of hurling but let it die to near extinction, it is gone in Stacks now and Parnells have took on the hurling mantle. They could become the Na Piarsiagh of Kerry hurling!

7 Likes

just looked at their facebook page, not a hive of activity

Latte drinkers?

1 Like

I don’t think Abbey Sarsfields field any teams at all at any age do they?

Still look for their ticket allocation though, and get them I think

Ardfert/ causeway Kerry head not too far away- hurling country

1 Like

aye, all that hurling territory runs in as far as the tralee town boundary on the Ardfert road also on the Abbeydorney road, kilflynn road

hurling in tralee should never have sank as low as it did as it had a tradition there. Hurling was actually stronger in the Austin Stacks club than football in the 1960s and early 1970s until a breakthrough in football came in 1973 after nearly 40 years with county senior title. before that stacks lost 3 senior hurling finals in the late 1960s early 1970s without winning any. Jackie Power of Limerick fame was the manager of that winning stacks football team I think in 1973

2 Likes

Similarly in Cork our co board leaves down the wreaker sport in the county ( football) by SWA funding compared to the hurlers
Even down to training facilities at one stage
Now after Meath thrashing us
All the chickens come home
‘ you reap what you sow’

What level are Parteen at, a fairly average Intermediate team in the Clare Championship?

The whole Shannon Banks/Westbury area strikes me as a wasteland in a lot of ways, falling between various stools.

Middling intermediate, would typically be C at most underage grades over the last 2 decades. They get a handful of meelick lads these days as well as they no longer field underage I believe

1 Like

the kerry hurling squads are well looked after by the County Board, could have no quibble in that regard

At club level though, the scheduling of matches is biased towards football, the club football championship and then the county football championship are run on a round robin basis groups of 4. It leaves very little room for hurling and dual players. one of the football competitions should be knock out. The kerry county senior hurling final is on the last Sunday in July 2022!!!. Basically get it played while the Kerry footballers are playing and have it out of the way for a clear run of club football when Kerry exit the football

1 Like

Tad unfair

I was talking to a man last night that said Hospital will be Junior B football next year. Incredible for a club that were dual senior within the last 20 years.

3 Likes

Jesus that is shocking but they seem to be getting it together at underage

1 Like

They have a fairly impressive set up underage. The new school has ti he a major benefit to them.

The key will be being competitive at underage for the best part of a decade to get things moving again

1 Like

They’ve turned into a right rabble of a club - for shame.

Nothing stopping any young lad (or gal) from Shannon Banks who wants to play hurling from joining the hurling club that’s right on their doorstop – don’t know how anyone can say they are not being catered to hurling-wise . . . they are closer to Parteen hurling club than anyone from the village or Ardnacrusha and the club field teams in just about every underage bracket.

1 Like