Limerick GAA 2022 - Dual Kings (Part 1)

For a relatively big pick that’s very poor going

I imagine that’s what they do, but they could also have joined Abbey Sarsfields if they wanted.

In a situation like this, the clubs needs to be way more proactive in terms of going into primary schools, coupled with development officers from the county boards really targeting those areas.

Anyone who comes from a hurling family is probably joining Parteen. But if the parents aren’t too fussed about hurling, there are probably other sports more readily available. Takes extra effort to get kids playing in areas where it’s not really an embedded cultural thing.

And then, purely from a Limerick hurling pov, losing a lot of potential players there.

Where were Abbey Sarsfields playing out of? Were they using the pitches at the back of Munchins/Scoil Ide or had they their own facilities?

They never had their own pitch. They played in both places you mentioned, they played in LIT, both St. Patrick’s and Claughain lent them their fields from time to time and they once even tried to use Pa Healy’s field (St. Mary’s RFC)

They were formed in 1994 and the lack of a home has always dogged them. No base, no pool, ho hope in this day and age. They maintained a committee and would enter a junior b football team in city board competitions every year to maintain access to tickets, etc. When the time came to play matches they’d simply withdraw from the competition.

3 Likes

As Elvis has said, that was always a major problem but I do think that if you had real drive & will to do it with a core group of willing volunteers, you could pull it off. That’s easier said than done but there is an untapped resource there. Realistically, Parteen should be trying to get a development officer regularly into primary schools there, get them to come along to U-8/U-10 training.

It takes a lot of hard work. But what @kerry1891 said about Tralee Parnells shows it can be done.

1 Like

It’s been done countless times with much less resources. I understand that area mightn’t be as GAA mad, but with their pick they have little excuse. It would be great to see a club growing from that area. It is an untapped resource as you said

There’s a great opportunity to do something about that and create links with a secondary school. Gealcolaiste Luimni are relocating top the old Dawn dairies site (outlined purple). Of course they have no playing facilities included but here is a good stretch of ground across the road (outlined yellow) that been fairly idle for years. If they got the council to acquire that and co develop it with the school they’d have some hope. It probably encroaches into St Pats historical area but I’d imagine most the St Pats lads are now in Rhebogue.

1 Like

Any date given for when the tickets go on sale for the Munster hurling championship games? Less than 5 weeks now to the Cork game

I assume the majority via the clubs ???

Just found out they will be out by end of March. Does anyone know what side the season ticket holders will get in Cork. I have a Limerick season ticket but will be gong with a couple of cork lads.

If the bring a friend option is not available evenn to be in the same stand

Ashman. I’d say most will go online. Clubs don"t want the hassle of tickets

Some will as the GGA have contractual obligation to ticket master . We will see

I think that’s the site of the proposed Canal Bank apartments development.

The Canal Bank Quarter.

I thought that got rejected , but I see they are having another go.

There’s a big shout out for the boys in parteeen.

Tommy Quaid never feared anyone

2 Likes

Is that photo in kilmallock ??? @balbec

I’m afraid of Twink.

Is your Mickey unzipped?