Limerick GAA 2022 - Dual Kings (Part 1)

The reason for the two open corners on the Mackey side was dictated by a combination safety regulations in 2003/4 and potential planning for the installation of floodlights in the future.

2 Likes

I don’t think the land would be worth that much.
What’s there three or four acres. New stadium could cost 50 million.

Saucepans

1 Like

A bland green field site near a motorway - no thanks

The GG has history

3 Likes

Not sure how a regular shaped stand of a decent size can be put where the Mackey is, JP will have to have the Ennis Road tunnelled.

I believe there was an issue with light for residents in Clareview if the North Stand was to be built up or roofed, but that should be a lesser obstacle to overcome.

Should have put it on the site of the Opera Centre, would be ideal

1 Like

Small change to The Big House

The Mackey Stand got planning permission in 1986 or so when there was absolutely savage restrictions for Bradford & Heysel . Also there was little room there .

The main problem with it has always been the depth and elevation. The former is too long and the latter too shallow.

Inwards and upwards is the key. A second tier with the lights mounted on the stand gives you back both corners also.

1 Like

Not a hope of going up. They should have realigned it 20 years ago when they got the chance. North Stand is 20 years old now.

The Ennis Road is only part of the Mackey Stand’s problems, the other major factor is the substation that is at the rear of the city end of the stand. It’s probably the bigger issue really, as the area at the back of the stand gets very narrow at that point. I know they purchased or were given the green light to purchase some land around that a few years ago so they have scope to increase the actual area available to them.

They bought that a couple of years ago as far as I remember.

Correct.

In my view this is completely unnecessary but I fully support it because it will absolutely sicken all of cork.

1 Like

What do you suggest, then?

Something has to be done with it. It’s a kip

It doesn’t need to be any bigger anyway. The open stand is grand. The Mackey needs a bit of glamming up alright, but I wouldn’t be going mental spending money on it.

They could build a bar near it and put a heater in the Mackey. That’d be two big wins

4 Likes

Stade Luimni has a lovely blend of culture and tradition to it.

2 Likes

Yeah, 40-45K would be plenty.

A heater and anti-pigeon devices would certainly be a dealbreaker.

As would something to keep the few hundred shitting starlings off the floodlight pylons.

1 Like

I don’t think we need to spend millions on a new stadium tbh.

The Mackey is a disaster if simply because of the poles that block your view. I don’t know what they can do about the cold.

The other major problem with the GG is that the terraces are too deep & not steep enough. It’s the best thing about PUC; high, steep terraces, a much better view.

3 Likes

All grounds should have banking as steep as possible and as close to the pitch as possible.

1 Like