Limerick GAA 2022 - Dual Kings (Part 1)

Just back from MW Hire O’Moore Park, Portlaoise.

WE ARE STAYING UP/WE ARE GOING UP. Delete as appropriate.

Definitely worth the trip, huge result. Really dug it out, terrific composure and character.

The first half was probably the best we’ve played in years. Kicked some blinding scores, good foot passing & movement with loads of willing runners off the shoulder. Really should have gone in much more than four up at the short whistle, two goal chances butchered which really should have been buried.

Enright and Nash kicked six from play between them in that half, some of them absolutely glorious.

As ever, we made life difficult for ourselves on the resumption. Three times in a row Cian Sheehan made marauding runs in from an angle at the start of the second half - and three times he hand passed it wide or into the ‘keeper.

Laois slowly changed tack and went more direct. Sean O’Dea had a good battle with the lively Evan O’Carroll. Suddenly gaps were opening and Laois rattled off five in a row to take the lead. Looked like a case of same old, same old but the gaffer has instilled belief into this group.

When it looked like it was drifting away they came out swinging. Darragh Treacy kicked a beauty and it was level. Laois responded to go a point up on 68 mins. Would have gladly taken a point at that stage but then Big Robbie Bourke took over.

He nailed a missable free to level it before conjuring up the winner from play (his second from play and third overall of a glorious cameo).

Got nothing off the ref all night and he gave the home side two late chances to even it up but both sailed wide to the relief of a euphoric away following, which numbered around 54. At full time tens of them made their way onto the field to acknowledge a real gutsy effort.

Louth v Antrim and Westmeath v Fermanagh tomorrow. Not sure what results we want there, anything other than a draw in the first one I’d imagine. Could do with Fermanagh having nothing to play for next week, although they could be in a relegation scrap too should Longford beat Wicklow as expected.

That stand in O’Moore Park is as good a place to view a match as anywhere in the country. Superb. Could do with similar seating and elevation in TUSGG.

The drive home is always a bit more bearable after a win, not even that gowl Len Dineem shiteing on about rugby and omitting even a passing reference to the footballers could alter my mood.

Billy Sheehan roaring and bawling at his own players throughout was in start contrast to the calm exuded by the Real King Billy in the other dugout.

On we march to Fermanagh next week. A great league campaign irrespective of how that pans out and who knows, maybe even the unthinkable - promotion - could be achieved against all the odds.

Oh Billy Lee is magic, he wears a magic hat…

29 Likes

Big push required today. We can’t afford to go back to division 2. Could set us back years.

I think it’s safe to say this is the biggest match the Limerick hurlers have had for many years

3 Likes

We could banish the ghosts of 94 once and for all today

2 Likes

A win today and the rest of the year is bonus territory

4 Likes

It’s busy out there. Bands are on so roads closed and restrictions around the town, putting heavier traffic on outlying routes. Get moving for that early throw in…

1 Like

Things are looking up lads

1 Like

It’s nice to avoid the relegation battle.

2 Likes

I’ve tears in my eyes here. We are staying up!!!

3 Likes

Billy Dooley, Mundy, Shane Lowry, Brian Cowen, Michael Duignan, Barry Glendenning, Seamus Darby, Barack Obama…Barack Obama…can you hear me…Your boys took one hell of a beating!

4 Likes

The last sting of a dying wasp. We’ll have new kings in July.

Twas great while it lasted.

2 Likes

Can’t read much into that sadly, no intensity to the game whatsoever.

Mul worked hard, buzzed around and is still an option. Great to see Mike Casey back.

Nash is a very real goalscoring threat from corner-back. Other than that, hard to know whether there was an improvement on the last few games skill & fitness-wise.

Good to end the campaign on an upward trajectory. Offaly as expected not up to much really. Nash’s goal was fantastic.
Lots to do ahead of cork next month. Hard to call league champions at this stage yet

1 Like
4 Likes

Gnasher’s goal

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2022/0325/1288365-promotion-next-step-to-cap-limerick-football-progress/

1 Like

At this stage I’d say Kyle will be placed in the forwards again.

I presume English will come in and Nash will go into the half backs.

I guess it makes sense given Casey is injured and mul isn’t the force of old. A year too soon possibly for o Neill and Adam English.

Kyles best hurling was at half back for Limerick so it’ll be interesting to see what happens if he is moved back up.

Limerick are going up. Amazing scenes :clap:t3:

1 Like

Hon the bould Billy Lee!

1 Like

C’maaaaaaaaaaan

Get in !