Limerick GAA 2022 - Dual Kings (Part 1)

Yeah, 2013 against Offaly and 2010 against Waterford.

Havenā€™t had many games there full stop.

All the best today lads.

1 Like

Have we ever won a championship match there? I know our AIs were pre-Croke Park and I can only remember us losing a quarter final there to Kerry a few years ago

Yeah that QF is the only game in my memory so I donā€™t think so.

Yerselves and Clare were poxed to draw Kerry in QFs a few times. Ye were beaten before a ball was thrown in and the good of getting there was gone.

We played our second final (1898 but was the 1896 championship) at Jones Road Iā€™ve just looked it up. Still that would be long before Croke Park was built. And weā€™ve not won Munster since so yeah, I doubt weā€™ve ever won a championship match there

2009 and 2010 we were unlucky. In 2009 cork beat us 2-6 to 0-11. We were the better team by far. They got a penalty for something only the ref will be able to explain. By the time we eventually played there, we were not as good. And yeah, as you mention, we got Kerry in the draw.

1 Like

Mugging off the Wexicans was the sweetest moment of the 2011 run.

1 Like

We were unlucky to not make it to CP a few years. 2003 and 2004 were particularly great teams, we took Kerry to a replay in 04 and as everyone remembers, we probably should have won it first time round. Stephen Kelly had Moynihan on toast a few times, Galvin lorded it especially in 2010 too, another few warriors included Lavin, Mullane, Quane, Conor Fitz, Buckley, Stokes. Great teams down through the naughties

2 Likes

The 2004 side was a great side to watch, played excellent brand of Football.

2 Likes

The best memory was hammering Cork in the semi final down in the old concrete bowl.

5 Likes

I thought our 2009 team was excellent. Jesus Galvin used to clean lads in midfield. We were a big, strong team.

But we played our best stuff at a time when Kerry and Cork were both very strong.

Took Cork to extra time in 2010 and they went and won the all Ireland

2 Likes

Both the 03/04 & 09/10 teams just lacked another scoring forward.

Or another top midfielder to allow Galvin play inside more often. Stokes being injured all the time didnā€™t help.

Cork got a couple of outrageous decisions in that match.

1 Like

They got a penalty for nothing

Limerick were genuinely robbed in that match. That cork team must have played the ugliest brand of football Iā€™ve ever seen from an all Ireland winning team in modern times.

5 Likes

Yes youā€™re right, I recall Galvin running roughshod over Kerry in Killarney one year too around that time, Jesus he was some yoke

Galvin could do it all. Put some very, very decorated midfielders in his pocket at that time

Rory Hickey the Clare cunt gave Donnacha Oā€™Connor a penalty for tripping himself.

Jim Donovan wasnt too bad at midfield