Limerick GAA 2022 - Dual Kings (Part 1)

Some strength in depth when the county champions have only wan starting

1 Like

Fabulous to see a junior A club represented.

Wasnt always the case and it does bode well for the future hopefully.

Well it’s not fabulous for St. Pat’s tbf; I’m sure they would have preferred to stay Intermediate :joy: :joy:

But I get your point. Imagine being the poor junior half-back who has to mark Hego…

3 Likes

He needs to perform more for his club.

Two lads on the panel at Junior A level, Hego and O’Grady. Before that, WOM was the only lad playing Junior A during 2018. Before O’Meara, who was the last player on the panel to be playing Junior at the time?

Paudie ahern?

Stephen Cahill maybe in 2017.

1 Like

Yeah, I’d say was Stevie Cahill in 2017.

Paudie Ahern & John Riordan before that; would have been a few in 2010.

Didn’t blackrock come up for junior after Richie Mc played?

They won the Junior in 2009; not sure if he was on the panel that year? He might have been but I’d say he only got his first Championship start in 2011.

1 Like

Very good, never thought about him actually.

@Aristotle Nickie was on the panel in 2010 wasn’t he? That would be another one as Effin only got promoted in 2010

1 Like

It’s unusual that there are so few junior hurlers historically in the Limerick panel, I assume the majority of clubs are at that level

Limerick operate with a number of tiers in Intermediate though don’t they? Is Junior the 4th or 5th tier?

There are 12 senior teams, 8 Premier Intermediate, 12 intermediate and 24 junior. The junior championship contains second teams from Patrickswell, Ballybrown, Doon and Garryspilane.

I think the only clubs whose first team plays junior B are Fedamore and Camogue Rovers.

1 Like

They beat us in the sevens that year iirc.

In 1981 Fedamore played in a Senior semi final

1 Like

And supplied many hurlers to All-Ireland winning teams in the thirties.

1 Like

Yep senior a and b and two intermediate divisions. Reality is if junior and the lower intermediate were mixed I’d doubt you’d see too many bad beatings.

Jesus ya . A powerhouse back then . Pity to see - a really great tradition

Obvously Ahane dominated Limerick club hurling at the time, but the championship was played on a divisional basis and Fedamore were their main rivals in the East, losing a lot of finals to them. They’d have had 7 or 8 county titles if they could have gotten out of the East back then.

1 Like