Limerick GAA 2023-2024.... 5 in a row is not here (Part 4)

Dual managers are the best solution. Albeit that often means an outside manager and it takes a good manager to have strong expertise in both codes. The one thing you’d miss is matches within training as generally there’s not enough time to squeeze one in when you want to run a few drills in both hurling and football.

What about Kieran O Callaghan , on the line wearing a pair of jeans with the gear on underneath , Ballylanders wearing white kit and he was wearing a yellow Ballylanders jersey , Turned it inside out and ploughed on .
Kicked a handy free and then a monster from play from 50 yards . They love him in Bally .
Could be a heavy pour in Ballylanders tonight .
Defo the best O Callaghan on show today , The man in the middle not so good

Would Ballylanders have been dicing with relegation for a few years now or how would the year be perceived overall? We need context so that we can judge Kev’s year as a whole.

1 Like

3rd final in a row I think

2 Likes

What age would Calla be now?

Ref did fine I thought. If you were from Ballylanders maybe you wouldn’t have thought so because their crowd gave out stink about every decision, whether it was blatant or not. A really hateful crowd.

1 Like

How did the last fellas who kept them up go?

They were in the county final in 2020 during the first Covid season. Got hammered by Adare in the end. Probably would have been seen as a bit of a surprise for them to get that far, NCW ended up playing Adare in a quarter-final. Ballylanders beat Ballysteen in a semi-final which was a fiery enough encounter.

In 2021, they ended up in a relegation semi-final (a format which only existed during the two Covid seasons).

But yeah, now they’ve had 3 relegation finals in a row: beat Galbally in 2022, beat Claughaun last year and now Ballysteen.

Galbally got to county 1/4 final last year , Claughan into county semi final this year . Galbally also in semi final this year .
Very little between top 4 intermediate and bottom 4 senior

38 or 39 I’d imagine

So it would appear after two previous relegation finals they brought in spoofer Kev this year who once again brought them to a relegation final.

If Calas condition is a reflection of their S&C team it wouldn’t say much for them :see_no_evil:

Fair play to Ballylanders, made it a battle the horrible cunts. Rain suited them down to the ground. Took Danny Neville out of it eventually after 3 or 4 attempts.
Hit us for 2-2 against the breeze in the space of 5 mins at the start of the game and while we got back level that headstart against the wind fucked us.
They kicked some great scores in fairness. Their radar was locked in

Went down swinging but wasn’t to be. A raucous atmosphere on and off the field.

Disappointing for our lads, but if you lose every game in the championship you can’t have much complaint. If we can bounce back it might be a blessing in disguise, but that’s a big if.

Hurlers in relegation next weekend. Could be an
annus horribilis all round.

1 Like

They called for Cala like you would special teams in American Football. Some boot on him

1 Like

I think the only senior games he’s played the last 2 years has been relegation finals!! He did similar last year, being fit doesn’t put the ball over the bar.

Some wand on him.

That’s grand in the likes of Wexford but it’s a different ball game trying to crack the top four in Limerick who are only one code teams. I’m not sure they’ve one player between the four of them who’s playing football before the hurling is over anyway.

They more time to train and play practice games. Nearly all the teams in and around the top four are dual code teams bar ballybrown.

It’s very very difficult to succeed in hurling unless
You’re hurling 3 or 4 nights.

I’m not sure on football but I’d presume adare / Newcastle west have little crossover. Fr Casey’s the same. I dunno do they have lads hurling with other clubs.

Adare I think had a rule for a while you could only play one and it fucked both teams.

Cratloe were a dual code club with success in Clare. Interesting there three county hurlers podge Collins, Conor Ryan and Conor McGrath were all finished at inter county level fairly young.

I agree that’s how you handle it but it’s still very very tough when coming up against the single code clubs.

Ncw have at least 8, adare would have about 5 the Connollys Joe sweeney!! Casey’s have a few hurling with Glantine… football clubs are prob more lenient as they have to be but the hurling superpowers would have 0 duals

Adare have only 3 or 4 I think but by all accounts Newcastle have 11 or 12 starting for both codes. When you’re in the PIHC with just the 7 group games that becomes messy.

2 Likes