Limerick GAA 2023-2024.... 5 in a row is not here

Yeah I was trying to figure out watching it was he actually centre back or just back as sweeper.

Got stung badly under two high balls with Gillane, hit him an unmerciful belt of a shoulder in the first half though. If he grows into it mightn’t be a bad move to get him more involved.

Nearly surely Griffin has the hurley caught wrong. Left above right.

Ya, he started centre back but ended up being free.

Gillane’s form shows no sign of abating.

Askeaton had enough chances to win two games to be honest but Willie just didn’t get enough support in attack. He was unbelievable but it was like the bad old days in that he was needed to do all the scoring… there are some other good young forwards but they didn’t perform this evening. O’Farrell just looked a little leggy, wasn’t his usual self.

And conceding two goals like that is an absolute horror show, that kind of thing can really sap confidence and momentum. But Monagea weren’t able to get out of their own half in the second half, the Askeaton half-back line & midfield got on top, Alan McGrath was probably the best player outside of Willie.

Tom O’Callaghan was very good at centre-forward for Monagea and young Jamie Baynham was lively inside in the full-forward line, was able to physically bully corner-backs. And Seanie Herlihy just did enough to keep them ticking over, a very clever hurler still.

2 Likes

I’m not totally surprised by that.

Kieran’s might lack pure strikers of the ball but wet conditions would actually suit them as they are very good at winning dirty ball and running with the ball. Croom probably have more hurlers but are an old, slow team generally and if it was a freefest, that’s what Kieran’s live off.

Huge result for Kieran’s.

I’m not totally surprised by Christians beating Pat’s either tbh. That is definitely more of an upset but I think people think that Christians are worse than they are, they actually have some very decent players when they all actually show up. Don’t they tend to get a lot of army fellas from up the country too who are handy enough at Junior level?

Have Kierans still the Causeway man in charge. I heard there was some hassle between them earlier in the year

Sweeper or not, you have to get Casey on the ball. I remember a while back people were being critical of Gillane’s performances for the Well last year when he was being starved of the ball inside at full-forward. Well, that was the case for Casey today. Casey is sheer class but he can’t score if he doesn’t get the ball. Na Piarsaigh hit some awful aimless ball.

Maybe, in the circumstances, they should have looked to bring him out to 11.

To be fair, the Well brought Gillane out to win a few puckouts when they needed him to and he scored the goal from that position, I thought he was very impressive. Byrnes superb on the long-range frees; if Na Piarsaigh had a long distance freetaker as good as him against the elements, they might have won it.

I thought the Well’s supporting cast were better than Na Piarsaigh’s though and they did deserve the victory. Kevin O’Brien was very good, Patrick Kirby was excellent, Jordan Higgins got on ball and got through a lot of work and, in defence, Cian Fitz & John Flynn were very solid. And Calvin Carroll got a goal, a very nice point and was involved in the second goal.

For Na Piarsaigh, JJ Carey & Keith Dempsey both got a couple of points but I thought maybe they could be more involved in general play, I thought Dempsey in particular was very quiet. I didn’t think Downes at 6 worked tbh. And just a lot of aimless ball. Look, they are still integrating county players back, was a few debuts for young fellas and they play a style of hurling that probably isn’t suited to wet conditions like today.

Will was obviously the biggest loss of anyone, but Daithi Dempsey is a massive loss too. Jerome Boylan & Sean Long won’t be back by all accounts, so they better hope that WOD & DD will be.

But really, the Well were down more starters if not of the same quality as those. Josh Considine is a former county panellist, as is Seanie O’Brien (I’m not actually sure of his story) as well as Tom Nolan & Nidge Foley. And John Kirby was suspended. That’s 5 definite starters including probably 4 of their starting backline (although maybe Josh will play midfield this year).

A good boost for the Well though, they needed the performance more after last year and look to be in decent nick. Na Piarsaigh won’t be overly bothered, I don’t think, they have more freedom to tweak things, they only really need to perform in a county semi-final and they’ll live & die on that.

5 Likes

Madigan I think is the man calling the shots with John Fitzgerald. Not sure who’s from Causeway but I think it’s the same backroom as last year.

John Fitz is the causeway man. He"d be a good man to have around. Shrewd operator in real life as well.

1 Like

2013 All Ireland final replay

Tom Nolan is playing Junior A this year I think can’t commit to Senior due to studying.

1 Like

Flynn was excellent at full back for the Well, fielded some great high balls in second half and always came calmly out of defence with a good pass. Nap tried to over play it at times, they’d have been nearly better off just letting it into Henn direct. It wasn’t a night suited to ultra tippy tappy hurling. Byrnes & Carmody hit Gillane early whenever they could, the Well were just a bit more streetwise. The shutting down of Peter Casey after half time also helped.

1 Like

That Cunt in the goals for NAP looks fucking useless

2 Likes

I’m sure he can cry into his Munster and All Ireland medals tonight when he reads your post

2 Likes

The killer is it means fuck all really. The Well will likely have to bate them again to win it out. A statement of intent from the Well no doubt though

1 Like

Saw Kierans a couple of times last year, when they won County Junior final and again against The Banner in Munster Semi. We played them in West Senior League, they were awful that night, they loved running aimlessly with the ball and hit about 15 wides. Found them to be the quintessential Junior side with poor tackling and a high free count against them. As poor as Croom have been these last few years, I’m still shocked Kierans turned them over.

Who was she?

NaP v Well highlights

https://www.youtube.com/live/2dhUHdSfZzk?feature=share

1 Like

Looks like there was about 200 at Na Piarsigh v Patrickswell.

Just going through the programme for the weekend and there’s an article on the 1993 City Hurling Final. Could it have been the finest hour of @Bod95, even in defeat?

1 Like