Limerick GAA 2023-2024.... 5 in a row is not here

I have not been to Longford for a game, indeed I have only passed through the county once ever.

It’s a horrible drive. Ground is basic enough.

Longford Arms Hotel do a fine roaster carvery.

1 Like

Tipp, Wexford, Galway,Kilkenny, Waterford and cork are all rubbish.

If cork bring in a host of their 21s they might be dangerous but unlikely.

Clare are only team anywhere near getting the best of out of themselves bar Limerick.

The schedule of games for the group stages of the Tailteann Cup will be:

Round 1 (first named team at home)

13-14.05.2023 (Sat/Sun)

Seed 1 v Seed 3

Seed 2 v Seed 4

Round 2 (first named team at home)

20-21.05.2023 (Sat/Sun)

Seed 3 v Seed 2

Seed 4 v Seed1

Round 3 (Neutral venues)

03-04.06.06.2023 (Sat/Sun)

Seed 1 v Seed 2

Seed 3 v Seed 4

Full fixture details will be confirmed by the C.C.C.C on Friday, May 5th

So it’s looking like…

Limerick v Longford.

Carlow v Limerick.

And Limerick v Wicklow at a neutral venue - good luck attracting a crowd to that anywhere.

3 Likes

It’ll be a double header in portlaois or thurles

Carlow’s not the worst town for a few pints

2 Likes

I was there for a qualifier in 2012. Grand tidy ground, though the entrance is in through a housing estate a la Jackman Park.

Former All-Ireland football referee John Bannon brought us in for a cup of tea, fair play to him.

Game ended up going to extra time (we won) and our driver tried to break the land speed record to get us back to Thurles for the hurling qualifier v Clare later that evening.

EDIT - Having typed all that, I’ve now realised that we’re at home to Longford on Matchday 1.

3 Likes

Neutral for Wickow Limerick is probably Carlow again. Would there be anything to be said for a weekend blitz in Portlaoise between all of them?

Carlow is right on the Wicklow border, they’ll hardly drag us down there for it. Portlaoise the most likely option, I reckon.

I’d say Greystones, Wicklow Town, Rathnew etc would probably be about the same distance to Carlow as Limerick city. It’s a bit of a moot point anyway, no one will be going from either place

Portlaoise is the handiest ground in the country for us. Lovely spin up the motorway and the view from the stand is probably the best in the land apart from Pairc ui Chaoimh.

That’s a seriously tough schedule for the teams if they go all the way.

Time to get Dalo back into the academy.

2 Likes

Limerick minors bate tonight by Clare

Joe McKenna built Limerick hurling from the ground up

This should be good :smiley:

1 Like

Conceded two really bad goals at really bad times, which put them on the back foot. Had generally competed very well in the first half against the wind but Clare got a run of scores from distance just before the break. But, even then, would have been pretty confident of overturning a four-point deficit with a strong breeze to come, but conceded a bad goal on the stroke of half-time.

7 points was a bit more of a blow but then conceding a goal straight away in the second half was a hammer blow, allowed the forward come in along the endline, shot was saved but trickled over the line, backs couldn’t flick it out.

They did fight back but forced goals that weren’t on and were snuffed out. Clare put back a sweeper to shut off the inside threat, especially after Kearney came on and got a goal. Flanagan missed a great chance to pull it back to three after being played through by Ferland. Ferland did score a cheeky lob but Clare pulled away again with a couple of scores.

Limerick’s forwards fouled a lot, probably a bit desperate to force things. Look, they’re only 16/17-year-olds, they’re not going to make the right decision every single time.

I thought they competed well, their skill levels are very good. Maybe they sat a bit deep and left the inside line a bit isolated. Some talented forwards there but can’t be expected to beat two or three players each. Clare were probably that bit bigger too, their half-back line did well to disrupt our puckout.

3 Likes