Limerick GAA 2023-2024.... 5 in a row is not here

They should really try and get some of those games played in August. Get the Intercounty out of the way before September. Some sort of split season might work perhaps

1 Like

It will in its fuck.

1 Like

Very often it was two games in March/April and then nothing until September. It was mental looking back.

6 Likes

You’re a fierce patient man.

That only happened in 2018 when your beloved round robin kicked in.

Furthermore this horrendous split season absolutely shafts the dual player.

Nothing for the first 8 months of the year and then expected to play 8 weeks out of 9 meaning they the clubs who focus on both hurling and football are now severely disadvantaged against the clubs who only take one code seriously or have a rule where you only play one code until the other finishes.

This of course again impacts the smaller clubs more than the bigger clubs.

If only we didn’t have so many pointless inter county games for eight months and gave some actual respect to the club player.

Would you play all the football first and then the hurling like they do in Wexford?

Seems to be huge pros and cons to it

No but imo the current situation is very unfair in Limerick If you have dual players.

Players want games but any manager will not want players playing both codes and it just causes trouble in a club imo and creates an unfair advantage if you just bin one code.

One of the more astute posters on here pointed out they could have club football played with inter county hurling and club hurling played with inter county football so it would be a real split season.

I’m sure there’s a pile of negatives to that system as well tbf.

If you want to play 2 codes, expect there to be some complications. You havent a notion.

Genuine question:

What is the minimum number of Hurling games an Adult Club player in Limerick GUARENTEED in any given year? (Excluding the BOICMC.)

Games are only fixed on Thursdays at the request of a participating team.

2 Likes

Football

5 guaranteed championship games.
8/12 teams will play a 6th
4/12 will play a 7th
2/12 will play an 8th

Championship depends on the grade, Senior 5, Prem intermediate 7, intermediate 5. Junior A 5, JB depends on what division you are in.

Between semi finals and relegations most above junior would have at least one more.

Then league is somewhere betweem 5 & 7 before finals etc.

I would say every club has ten games minimum, average around 12 or 13

Hurling, before any knockout games, has 5/6 league matches and 5-7 championship matches.

are you guaranteed 9 senior inter county matches between league and championship?

At least 10

so 22 games between club and county in 12 months, if you play both? On a micro level it doesn’t seem like a major problem but when you throw the sheer scale of the amount of players/clubs and teams into the mix, it’s a difficult logistical fix

We play roughly between 30-40 games from August - May in soccer, with plenty of cancellations over the winter and a severe shortage of referees, but the problems of scale don’t exist like the do for GAA logistics

1 Like

Like one comment mentioned a short time ago, the split season itself is as good a solution as any.

However, if you’re a genuine dual player who starts both codes for your club it does become an awful slog and can become brutal especially if your team is decent at both codes.

Obviously at County Level the dual player thing is gone (and will be gone for Camogie/Ladies Football for the next generation). However at Club Level, players will probably need to start making some big decisions. I’ve seen first hand Management of a number of club’s Football and Hurling management teams clashing over player use and training schedules because ‘my match is more important than yours’ type stuff going on.

Take College training etc. into things too and if they’re U21 at their Club too then they’re probably fecking the bodies up.

How do Na Piarsaigh in Limerick do their stuff? From what I gather, their best Footballers are Will O’Donoghe and the two Caseys

1 Like

I’m talking guaranteed and I’m talking Leagues/Cups/Divisions etc

Its 10 games in Tipp (3 Co. Championship, 5 Co. League, 1 Divisonal Championship, 1 Divisional Cup) which is a joke really while it probably averages out at 12/13, its a long way short of what it should be which is 18-20 in my opinion.

The average number of games a Tipp Club player gets now has fallen off a cliff since the split season was brought in. Teams who’d have played 8-10 games by mid April in the old system would now be lucky to have 8-10 matches played by July.

There’s simply not enough Hurling going on anymore and it shows.

1 Like

And consideration for fellas playing hurling and football.