Limerick GAA 2023-2024.... 5 in a row is not here

Just back from Fr Hayes Memorial Park, Caherconlish.

Bon Secours Hospital LSHC Group B Round 3 RESULT.

Monaleen 3-21 Garryspillane 2-12.

Five time All-Ireland winning manager John Kiely was part of a bumper crowd as the city outfit made it back-to-back wins. They settled the quicker but were rocked by a quick fire brace from Dylan O’Shea, the first from a penalty he earned himself while the second was after Colin Ryan had created the opening. Jamie Porter will be really disappointed with the latter, he got a hurley to it but it trickled over the line.

The reigning AI intermediate champions found it easier to hit the target and gradually took over, with Mark O’Dwyer particularly prominent from frees and play, before he supplied a match deciding goal after terrific build up play from Luke Murphy and Donnacha O’Dalaigh.

1-14 to 2-05 at the break. The Bouncers battled manfully and got it back to four at one stage before intercounty man O’Dalaigh drilled home two late goals. He really has morphed into a top class club forward, reminds me a bit of Adrian Breen. The low centre of gravity and accurate shooter. Can see him getting more game time in next year’s NHL. Bagged 2-03 from play this evening. Joe Fitz impresses every time I see him, looks a super prospect. You’d love to see Kiely and Kinnerk get their hands on him. Lochlann McHale had a monster game beside him, they are a terrific midfield pairing.

1 point from 3 matches for Garryspillane now, it looks a straight shootout between themselves and Liberties to avoid the drop. After three rounds Mungret and Ballybrown top the table on 5 points, Monaleen on 4 and the landed gentry of Adare on 3. Bouncers on 1 and Liberties still pointless.

It was 0-02 to no score by the time I got in but the scores for the rest of the game were as follows.

Donnacha O’Dalaigh 2-03 (plus 4 wides)
Mark O’Dwyer 1-08 (0-07 frees)
Lochlann McHale 0-03
Luke Murphy 0-02
Ed Doyle, Andy La TouchĂŠ Cosgrave, Ronan Lyons 0-01 each.

Dylan O’Shea 2-03 (1-00 pen)
Colin Ryan 0-04 (0-03 frees)
Bryan Heavey 0-03 (0-02 frees)
John English & Peter Morrissey 0-01 each.

11 Likes

Ó Dálaigh got the first score of the match so ended up with 2-4.

He hit a lovely cross field line ball into space for Murphy to point. I’d say Kiely might have mixed feelings about that but I agree he will surely give him a good bit of time in the Munster League and NHL again next year.

1 Like

He needs to score a lot more of the chances he gets/creates. I’m sure that will come.

He has a habit of running away from the goals that he needs to get out of, all forwards do it at times but he throws over the shoulder. Downes used do it. If gillane is going away from goals for example he’ll work a way to face the goals to shoot

5 Likes

Gillane is a magician for coming down from a catch facing away from the goal and landing facing the goal

2 Likes

Its absolutely mindblowing

Finn, Casey and Richie English are fantastic but have had serious knee injuries multiple times. Multiple crcuiate injuries bizzarrly.

Hannon, Dan M And Byrnes are now in their 30s and surely only have a couple of years left (if even)

Hard to know with Coughlan if he will ever have the legs to be a viable option. His cameo in the Munster final meant he wasn’t used after it for the year despite Hannon being out. And he’s 3 years in the panel

We have fabulous talent coming from 8-15 - The Bull, Adam English, O Neill, have all the attributes to be too class inter county forwards

1 Like

If we can get a couple of years out of it wouldn’t it be unreal. It won’t last long.

You’ll find a few backs from anywhere. Tis the forwards who have always been the issue for us.

sign in @Aristotle

1 Like

He’s already plotting for doon

Good point - always harder to magic up top class forwards so its better to be well serviced there.

Doon is Wednesday night is it?

Backs are just players not good enough to be forwards

Yes.

1 Like

We’re playing the Well Thursday

Rearer than hens teeth usually. I wonder would they get actually look at hegarty or somebody going back there after wod done it successfully to fit in a Cathal o O’Neill or somebody else.

Sure half our backs are forwards.

Barry Nash will score 1-3 some day from corner back

1 Like

2025 all Ireland final I’d say, when the team has fully evolved.

1 Like