Limerick GAA 2023-2024.... 5 in a row is not here

You’d think he’d organise it for a football weekend or Christmas or something

Normally I’d agree with you, but sure fuck it, he can do what he wants at this stage. He’s earned the right.

Doubt he’d have much choice in the matter anyway. Manor doesn’t be free unless your booking years in advance.

Anyway if he wants to get married in the middle of the Gaelic grounds during the county final he deserves it.

Would have made sense If the county board swapped the fixtures but that might have caused more hassle than it’s worth too.

JP is giving him away

18 Likes

JP has a new problem.
A 4 year plan to make the European golf team competitive.

He has a road to build first

2027 Europen team captain Shane Lowry’s team will be backboned by Declan Hannon Gearoid Hegarty and Cian Lynch.

It’s hard to take the club game seriously in Limerick.

1 Like

As opoosed to where …Clare??? FFS

Tis only the group stages in Limerick. The serious stuff starts in 2 or 3 weeks time.
The poor Claires would want to understand that there is nonpoint being top of leauge table if you cant win the important knockout games

2 Likes

Take the road as built. It is only concrete. The diversion to @TreatyStones house can wait.

Building a competitive golf team in 4 years without a functioning academy is a bigger challenge.

They Will Come Rose Mciver GIF by CBS

:rollseyes: …

Ooooft

1 Like

Hannon was to be getting married in Spain but JP said no ur havingbit in Adare manor.whole thing paid for.the happy couple will make a nice few pound on the day.

No idea but if there’s six and half six games mid week the country board should stream them for free.

I assume no club wants to play under lights which is fair enough.

And JP even sorted some Spanish weather for the day and all. Is there nothing the man cant do.

1 Like

Haven’t done my round-up of Round 3 yet and I do intend to but we’re straight back into a new round already. We’re into do-or-die territory for a lot of teams at both ends of the table, across all grades.

Senior A

Wednesday September 6
Doon (4/11) vs Kildimo/Pallaskenry (9/4) @ 6.30pm in Kilmallock

Thursday September 7
Ahane (13/2) vs Na Piarsaigh (1/14) @ 6.30pm in Claughaun
Kilmallock (10/11) vs Patrickswell (evs) @ 6.30pm in Cappamore

Do-or-die for us tonight in Kilmallock. Doon already have two points on the board and still have Ahane to play but obviously this is one that they would have been targeting all along. For us, we played them last year and lost by four points but we played pretty well and it gave us a lot of hope for this year. We haven’t hit the same level of form this year so far, obviously more games at a higher level and although we have worked extremely hard, we have seriously lacked firepower. We did have more of a range of scorers in that Doon game last year; we are missing a few players from that game but obviously we need more from all over the field to support Darren & Kyle in the scoring stakes. For Doon, they are down all six backs that played against us in that fixture but are up a few starting forwards. I’m not reading too much into their performance against Na Piarsaigh; much like the one against Kilmallock, they have showed that they are capable of pulling a performance out of the bag a week after a shocker. A must-win for us, we’ve done a lot of things well in the past two games, but we need to show a lot more quality in attack this evening. Got absolutely no work done today, it’s all riding on this.

Ahane got a win on the board the first day out and have put in two brave performances since then. They may feel a bit aggrieved at the scoreboard controversy the last day against Patrickswell and maybe feel they could have sneaked a draw. Na Piarsaigh lost the first day but have bounced back well and absolutely hammered Doon last weekend. These two sides actually drew last year but there is a reason that Na Piarsaigh are such strong favourites. Nothing to lose for Ahane to be fair and Na Piarsaigh will struggle to hold Tom, I would expect. He’s got 1-30 in the three games so far but, at the other end, Dan can only mark one of Peter Casey or Adrian Breen and Daithi Dempsey & Conor Boylan were both very good against Doon too. I think Ahane will battle hard but would expect Na Piarsaigh to have too much in the end. NaP by 8.

Very even game expected between Kilmallock and Patrickswell. Kilmallock the only team left with a 100% record and are marginal favourites based on that. I thought they were off-the-mark against us in the first half and, if they don’t up the levels, a team with the quality of the Well will punish them. But that might have been complacency, plain and simple, and they do have a couple of big players back. Robbie Hanley came on for the unfortunate Phelim O’Reilly last week and while it’s great to have Hanley back, O’Reilly will be a loss. I expect Graeme Mul might feature tonight also for his first run-out of the year. Patrickswell only beat Ahane by three in the end but looked very slick at times and Lynch gave a masterful display in the middle. Gillane is a huge threat and Dan Joy will have his hands full there. I wonder will they consider moving Costelloe back this week or will they keep faith with the fellas who have got them this far? Kilmallock will expect to do plenty of damage at the other end and Shane O’Brien, 1-12 from play in three games is some going, and Oisín O’Reilly isn’t too far behind either. Very hard one to call but, based on form to date, you’d probably have to go with Kilmallock narrowly (although maybe the Well’s need is greater). Wouldn’t be surprised with any scoreline tbh but I’ll go with Kilmallock by 2.

Senior B

Wednesday September 6
Adare (1/4) vs South Liberties (3/1) @ 6.30pm in Ballyagran

Friday September 8
Ballybrown (1/5) vs Garryspillane (7/2) @ 6.30pm in Fedamore
Monaleen (10/11) vs Mungret/St. Paul’s (evs) @6.30pm in Claughaun

Adare suffered a massive setback last weekend with a defeat to Mungret which puts serious question marks over their prospects of reaching the Senior A. Now, because Mungret and Ballybrown still have to play each other, they may still have a chance of reaching a quarter-final but that top spot will be very difficult to get now, having dropped points twice. There is also the big wedding looming over them this week. Having said that, I think they should be even shorter odds to win against Liberties who look doomed for relegation. It would be a major, major shock if Liberties were to win this one based on the form so far. I did hear David O’Mahony may now be gone for Adare (although maybe he’ll be around this weekend) but obviously Hannon is back and if they leave him in the forwards, he’ll do serious damage if he’s on it. Adare by 9.

There was a lot of controversy in the Ballybrown vs Garryspillane game last year, with Colin Coughlan seeing red but Ballybrown waking up after that and pulling out a win. It wasn’t enough for them to make the quarter-finals as results elsewhere didn’t go their way but they can’t afford a slip-up here this year. Garryspillane took a relatively heavy beating last week at the hands of Monaleen and maybe the loss of Calum Sheehan on top of Eoinsie is a bridge too far in terms of forwards lost. Formlines point to Ballybrown, with Coughlan finally opening up the legs, I think he got 1-7 from play last week against a hapless Liberties and young Barry Adams hit a hat-trick. I’ll have to go with Ballybrown by 7.

Not 100% sure why Monaleen are favourites, even slight, for this one. I presume it’s based on respective results against Garryspillane, Mungret only drawing and Monaleen hammering them. But then, Mungret beat Adare last week and Monaleen got thumped by Ballybrown in the opening round. For me, they are similar teams in a lot of respects but Mungret are now a little bit further along the line than Monaleen are. I could be wrong, obviously Monaleen had a good few years at senior before going down and they do have a bit of experience throughout the team but that opening-round defeat has tarnished my view of them somewhat, they simply didn’t produce at all. Maybe they’ve got the dirty diesel out of the system and Ó’Dálaigh has been living up to his county status, he’s causing absolute wreck with another 2-4 last week. I don’t know if Mungret have anyone capable of that but they do have a decent spread of scorers now and a fairly well-balanced team all over, particularly with the two Duffs in the middle of the field. I’m leaning towards Mungret for this one to be honest, Mungret by 2.

5 Likes

Premier Intermediate

Thursday September 7
Cappamore vs Dromin/Athlacca @ 6.30pm in Hospital

Friday September 8
Glenroe vs Newcastlewest @ 6pm in Kilmallock
Effin vs Na Piarsaigh 2 @ 6.30pm in Adare

Saturday September 9
Blackrock vs Bruff @ 3pm in Kilmallock

An absolute must-win for Cappamore tomorrow night in Hospital. If they lose, they are pretty much gone. They put it up to NCW to be fair to them (only a 2-point defeat and the biggest tally they’ve put up this year) but didn’t get anything out of the game. And after D/A’s no-show versus NCW, they managed to end Bruff’s 100% record and are now in a serious position again for a semi-final spot. But, in order to get there, this is one they absolutely have to be winning. Cappamore will be encouraged by the performance of their forwards the last day because I do think that the D/A backs can be got at a little. But I think D/A have enough hurling and enough firepower to get the job done. D/A by 4.

NCW were pushed all the way by Kilmallock but got their second win in a row. However, after a disastrous start, they can’t afford any more defeats and with Glenroe sitting second-bottom in the table, this is one they will be banking on. Glenroe got their win over Cappamore but didn’t really threaten Effin last weekend. I liked the look of NCW when I saw them against D/A with Brian Hurley & Nix flying, and I thought they had a lot more in them too, with Ethan Hurley and the inside boys, Hayes & Eoin Hurley capable of even more. Havne’t seen Glenroe in Championship but they’ve only scored a single goal across four games and they won’t get much easy against NCW. I think they’ll need goals to win this one and I just look at their full-forward line and I don’t really see them racking up a few. NCW by 5.

Effin did suffer a slightly surprising defeat to D/A but have got two comprehensive wins since then as well as having hammered NCW. Now that Bruff have lost, you could definitely argue Effin have been the most impressive side in this competition to date and they have a nice mix of experience and talented youth in their ranks. As I’ve said before, Na Piarsaigh will feel lucky that they’ve got the two wins in the bag as I don’t see them getting much more. They have now lost John Fitz aswell, as he played corner-back for their seniors against Doon, although maybe Alan Dempsey, Kieran Daly & Kevin Daly could still be pulled out, if available. Still, I’d be surprised if those goes against Effin. Effin by 7.

These sides have already met in the Junior A Championship; now their first teams face-off in the Premier Intermediate. Bruff suffered their first defeat last week which means both these sides are in the three-way tie at the top of this division on three wins apiece. Blackrock got a narrow victory over Na Piarsaigh but, with the form that Bruff’s young players have been in, I’d find it hard to go against them (even taking into account that they only scored 0-16 last weekend). Maybe if Blackrock can really turn it into a dogfight, they may wilt but they already came through tight battles against Cappamore & Glenroe so I’ll go with them. Bruff by 3.

Intermediate Group 1

Saturday September 9
Hospital/Herbertstown vs Kilmallock 2 @ 5pm in Martinstown
Knockaderry vs Pallasgreen @ 5pm in Croagh

Sunday September 10
Bruree vs Croagh/Kilfinny @ 5pm in Croom

Coming close to last-chance saloon for Hospital/Herbertstown, this is the one they’d really have been targeting, I think. But then Kilmallock pulled David Woulfe out to play Intermediate last week and he scored a few points as they saw off Pallasgreen. If they get a win here, that would be enough to keep them safe. H/H just haven’t got anywhere near the big teams and also lost to Pallasgreen. So if Kilmallock have the same fifteen that fielded last week, it’s hard to see them not winning. Kilmallock by 4.

Pallasgreen could rue that loss to Kilmallock, it’s one that they probably would have expected to win. It definitely puts a bit of a dent in their hopes of qualifying for a quarter-final and absolutely have to win this one. Same for Knockaderry; that third knockout spot is really up for grabs and Knockaderry did get a massive victory over Kilmallock before losing to the two big teams. Now, they got closer to Bruree than I would have expected and Condon was back again. If he is playing and in form, that could be a major factor. But, generally, I would expect Pallasgreen to win this one. Pudgy hit two goals last week and if Malachy is in any bit of form too, as well as young Tadhg Hourigan, they have players that Knockaderry don’t really have. The red cards thing is a major issue though. I’ll go with Pallasgreen by 3 (with the caveat that it assumes they will keep fifteen men for a good while).

The top two in the group and two of the favourites for the whole competition face-off in the game of the day on Sunday. Sam Cronolly is some forward but C/K probably have more players to try and limit him than most in the division. C/K are a hard-working and athletic team, still very young and that is the way Bruree are moving too. They’ve injected a lot of youth into their side over the past few years and are going in the right direction once again, playing a nice style of hurling. I would say that both of these teams will be promoted in the next 4 years or so but it’s fairly cut-throat at the moment, there’s no guarantee either will go up this year, as good as they are, with Granagh/Ballingarry laying waste to all before them in the other group. As for the match itself, very hard to call between what would seem like two very evenly-matched teams. Also could meet later in the year, it’s not the be-all and end-all for either side. But I’ll go with a narrow win for C/K, based on the experience they have of getting to multiple county finals in recent years. C/K by 1.

Intermediate Group 2

Thursday September 7
Feohanagh vs Knockainey @ 6.30pm in Ballingarry

Saturday September 9
Croom vs Murroe/Boher @ 5pm in Ballybrown
Granagh/Ballingarry vs St. Kieran’s @ 6pm in Newcastlewest

Knockainey had a great win over Murroe/Boher last weekend with a first-half goal from Mikey O’Grady and a few points from the bench from Colin Buckley proving crucial. On the other side, Feohanagh had a disastrous defeat to St. Kieran’s with Semie Flanagan playing deeper than usual with his brother suffering a potentially season-ending injury. Not the news you want going into a potentially season-deciding game. The fact that Feohanagh lost a low-scoring dogfight against Kieran’s means you’d have to favour Knockainey who with the likes of O’Grady, Padraic Barron and Jason Lonergan, just have a wider range of players able to do damage on the scoreboard. The Sean Flanagan injury could be very decisive. Knockainey by 8.

Murroe/Boher were going well against Knockainey but a red card for Paudie McNamara down the home stretch proved crucial and Knockainey got a run of scores before the final whistle. It puts them in serious bother and there can be no excuses this week against a Croom side fighting for their lives. The only positive for M/B is that Seanie Tobin is returned and put over a few points from play after coming from the bench last weekend. Croom were absolutely annihilated last week by G/B but they did beat M/B in Championship last year. Two more games to avoid a relegation play-off, can they reverse their poor form? It is hard to see to be honest and surely Tobin will start next weekend. M/B by 7.

G/B are surely on course to break scoring records in this current Championship format: 1-26, 3-21 and 4-28 are absolutely phenomenal scores to be putting up in 60 minutes of hurling. And it’s not like they have been conceding big scores either, they’ve just been putting teams to the sword. Kieran’s have four points already in their return to Intermediate and a quarter-final spot is now well within their grasp but I don’t think they secure it here. They hit 1-10 in last week’s victory and, even if this is a more open game, I don’t see them having enough in the tank to beat G/B. If they keep the margin down, they’ll be doing well. G/B by 12.

2 Likes

Junior A Group 1

Friday September 8
Kilteely/Dromkeen vs Monagea @ 6.30pm in Croagh

Saturday September 9
Askeaton vs Staker Wallace @ 5pm in Ballyagran
Ballybricken/Bohermore vs Patrickswell 2 @ 5pm in Fedamore

The narrowest of margins for Kilteely/Dromkeen in their victory over Askeaton last week, with Denis O’Dea in flying form and Darragh Carroll ably assisting him on the scoreboard. Monagea also had a massive victory over Ballybricken/Bohermore, them only by two points and now are the only team with a 100% record in this group. One more win for Monagea would pretty much secure them a quarter-final spot. K/D are in a good position after last week’s win and I do think they just have that bit more in attack than Monagea do… but they did lose to a B/B side that Monagea beat. Won’t be much in it either way, I’ll go with K/D by 3.

Askeaton will be sickened by their defeat to K/D and any qualification hopes they may have are hanging by a thread. But, before even getting into that, to avoid any possibility of relegation, they have to beat the Stakers. The Stakers are a game behind everyone else as they don’t play the Well in their Round 3 game until next Wednesday but, based on results to date, Askeaton should be winning this. Willie O’Meara may not have hit the same heights last weekend, with Oisín O’Farrell starring for them in his stead but if they can get both motoring, I don’t think the Stakers will be able to handle them. Askeaton by 6.

B/B suffered their first defeat last weekend against Monagea but it was only by two points and the Well are winless. That still comes as a slight surprise to me but they weren’t narrow defeats either, they were well-beaten in both games. In Dan Owens, B/B probably have the fastest forward in Limerick and he is just impossible to tie down. If they leave Cian Enright at full-back, he will struggle mobility-wise to mark him and, based on the results to date, you’d have to fancy B/B to get the job done. B/B by 5.

Junior A Group 2

Saturday September 9
Caherline vs Claughaun @ 5pm in Ballybricken
Crecora/Manister vs Templeglantine @ 5pm in the Bog Garden
Garryspillane 2 vs Tournafulla @ 5pm in Croom

Caherline got another massive victory last weekend against the Bouncers and, while Claughaun were slightly-improved, they still lost by 10 to Glantine. Can’t see them getting anywhere near Caherline who are justifying the title-favourite tags a lot of people were applying to them. Caherline by 15.

A huge game on Saturday in the Bog between C/M and Glantine. A win for C/M and they’d have that quarter-final spot in their clutches. They edged Tour by just a single point last weekend; a Tour side that beat Glantine earlier in the year. So C/M are probably slight favourites but it will be interesting to see how they keep tabs on Mark McCarthy, Adam Fitz and John Riordan. C/M are a young side and they have a superstar; I’ll go with them to win by 3.

Think the Bouncers lost another player from their juniors last week and were well-beaten by Caherline. Tour have to win to stay in contention and I think they will. Tour by 12.

Junior A Group 3

Sunday September 10
Ahane 2 vs Castletown/Ballyagran @ 12pm in Fedamore
Feenagh/Kilmeedy vs Old Christians @ 1pm in Askeaton
Killeedy vs St. Patrick’s @ 6pm in Adare

C/B in big trouble after losing to F/K while Ahane were well-beaten by Pat’s. Much-better results from Ahane this year but I do think C/B will just about stay alive with a win in this one. C/B by 6.

F/K are the dominant side in this group, with a +35 score difference. Christians pushed Killeedy all the way but didn’t get the win. It wouldn’t be a surprise if F/K racked up another massive win to be quite honest although Christians do have a couple of dangerous attackers. F/K by 9.

If Pat’s beat Killeedy, that quarter-final spot will be well within their grasp despite that early slip-up to Old Christians. Killeedy suffered a massive defeat to F/K but did bounce back to get that much-needed win over Christians. Should be an absolute cracker in Adare on Sunday evening but I’ll go with the Hegos & Pat’s to do the business. Pat’s by 2.

Junior A Group 4

Friday September 8
Bruff 2 vs Rathkeale @ 6.30pm in Old Christians

Sunday September 10
Doon 2 vs Mungret/St. Paul’s 2 @ 12pm in Monaleen
Blackrock 2 vs Dromcollogher/Broadford @ 3pm in Ballyagran

Bruff got a great draw against D/B last week while the Mushes were well-beaten by Doon. I think the formlines do point to a Bruff win; Rathkeale still winless and will probably head into a loser-survives clash against Blackrock in the last round. Bruff by 5.

Despite being drained of a few players, Doon have kept the results up in the Junior and got a big win over Rathkeale in the last round. Mungret have three wins from three and absolutely destroyed Blackrock in the last round. I did see that Liam Harrington played for their seniors, but they seem to have some amount of players now. As do Doon, to be fair. I’m going to tip Doon to cause a bit of an upset and get a narrow win in this one, Doon by 2.

Blackrock were utterly destroyed by Mungret last week, D/B did slip up by only drawing with Bruff but I expect them to make amends here and put them right back in the driving seat for qualification by winning comfortably. D/B by 14.

2 Likes

Are any of the games streamed this evening?