Limerick GAA 2023-2024.... 5 in a row is not here

Actually on closer inspection, Mountcollins were already through and Monagea needed a Bruff win over KD to get through.

The head to head rule really ruins these Championships at times.

I agree with you. I think the head to head rule finishes interest in the championships too early. A general scoring difference rule would make things far more interesting

1 Like

Not really fair on the clubs involved though.

you end up with one team with nothing to play for and the opposition needing a cricket team to surpass another team in the table.

1 Like

But a win over a team effectively counts double. If Ahane beat Doon tomorrow they’ll go through on head to head… both will have won 2 games

Only issue in the football of course is the walkovers are killing and chance of the scoring difference being used. It seems like a senior walkover isnt far away but the other grades are destroyed. It’s Def a by product of having the Championships stacked this way. In a mad way LK should play their lower tier football in May-July. No hurling overlap.

3 Likes

Without the club players on the senior football squad?

Last time out, I actually managed to predict 25/27 which is pretty impressive, even if I do say so myself. H/H beating Kilmallock 2 & Mungret 2 beating Doon 2 were the only two that I got wrong; considering how unpredictable the Intermediate & Junior Championships have been, it’s not bad at all!

We have come to the end of the group stages of the Senior, Intermediate & Junior Championships and we’ll be straight into the knockouts next week. Premier Intermediate does still have one more round after this but it’s really heating up now, still a lot to play for in most groups.

Senior A

Saturday September 23
Ahane vs Doon @ 5pm in Cappamore
Kildimo/Pallaskenry vs Patrickswell @ 5pm in Kilmallock
Kilmallock vs Na Piarsaigh @ 5pm in Doon

Huge match in Cappamore this evening between two East sides, winner should make a semi-final (barring a very unlikely mathematical scenario, were we to beat the Well). Ahane have been up at this level for a few years but have been very competitive in every game this year, but have still only picked up that one win against us in the opening round. Doon have a load of injuries and have suffered two heavy defeats, where they looked way off the pace, but also ground out two wins and it means that a draw will be enough for them today. With all their injured backs, how will they cope with Tom Morrissey, who has been in unbelievable form as usual for Ahane? They stuck Adam English on Kyle and while he did a decent enough job, Kyle hit 0-4 from play and Adam didn’t exactly threaten at the other end. If Adam could restrict Tom and the other Ahane forwards don’t stand up, that could be enough but, to be fair, Ronan Fox and Dan Minehan have been pretty decent this season too. It’s an interesting one but I think the experience Doon do have will just about see them through. Doon by 3.

It’s been a massively disappointing season for us, already back down with a game left. I thought we played fairly well the last day but went away from what was working for us down the home stretch, perhaps a little bit of panic, a lack of experience at this level. So now this match doesn’t matter at all really, the Well are through and we are out, but for us, it is another opportunity to test ourselves against one of the best teams in the county. It’s an opportunity that we won’t have next year (unless we make a quarter-final) and for a very young & inexperienced team, we need to learn as much as possible from these games. We do have some injury problems aswell, so there might be a few more young fellas blooded today.

The top two also face off this evening in Doon. It may well be shadow-boxing as neither side have to win, and this could very well be your county final. Kilmallock have been in great form, have a 100% record and are still easing players back into it. Shane O’Brien has been in phenomenal form, Mul was just back in the last round and scored the crucial goal, Robbie Hanley is working his way back and they still have maybe one or two to return from injury. Na Piarsaigh had an opening-round blip but have put together three wins since and do seem to be getting better. The Downes at 6 experiment seemed to work better the last day against Ahane, but how much of that was down to how deep Ahane were? Obviously, the return of Daithi Dempsey is huge but it’s Peter Casey who has been their real star, with promising performances from younger players like Vince Harrington & Wayne Kearns. I do think, long-term, they will need Will O’Donoghue back and in-form. As for calling this one, it’s really hard to know when there’s nothing really to play for. But I would still expect it to be a very high-quality game, neither side will want to back down, I suppose I’ll go with Kilmallock to edge as they have had the better form thus far. But it could be a very different game in a month’s time. Kilmallock by 2.

Senior B

Sunday September 24
Adare vs Monaleen @ 2pm in Bruff
Ballybrown vs Mungret/St. Paul’s @ 2pm in Claughaun

Obviously I missed getting my prediction in for the relegation decider on Thursday night between Liberties & the Bouncers. I definitely wouldn’t have got that one right though, Liberties hadn’t shown anything to suggest that they would stay up but at least they showed a bit of balls, put Nash back up into the forwards and they reaped the rewards. 7 goals is seriously impressive but obviously very disappointing for Garryspillane, even with the injuries that they had. I would have fancied them to dig out a result in that one. Liberties live to fight another day.

Adare can still make a quarter-final but need a lot to go their way, and they are unable to go back up to the Senior A group. That alone will make this a disappointing year but it would be tempered if they could at least make a quarter-final. Monaleen might have expected a bit more from their first year back but have taken two big enough beatings, while comfortably beating both Liberties & Garryspillane. Adare need Mungret to beat Ballybrown and then they need to turn a 12-point score differential to leapfrog Ballybrown. So winning by as much as possible is what they need to do. I expect to say less conservatism from them, with Hannon starting in attack and trying to get as much quick ball into the likes of Willie Griffin & Sam Hickey as possible. For Monaleen, there isn’t really anything to play for but I can’t see them just rolling over, especially considering they have already been well-beaten twice. It’s an opportunity for them to show that they are capable of competing with the better teams in this group. But I think it means more to Adare, and I expect them to get a relatively comfortable win. Adare by 7.

Along with Ahane vs Doon, the big game of the weekend in Senior is the clash in Claughaun tomorrow afternoon between neighours Mungret & Ballybrown. Already been a great year for Mungret because they have secured a quarter-final spot with a game to spare, but it’s winner-takes-all in terms of going up to Senior A. A draw would do Mungret in that regard too but I do think Ballybrown are favourites for this one. Mungret have got some great results, including a win over an Adare side that many fancied. Ballybrown only drew with Adare but have also racked up some big wins. Barry Adams has hit four goals in his debut season, Aidan O’Connor & Colin Coughlan are capable of very big tallies and Andrew Cliffe is a very accurate freetaker. But Mungret do seem to have a better spread of scorers this year too, Fintan Fitzgerald is a nice addition to their attack, they have been able to combine Liam Lynch with Paul O’Brien again but it’s elsewhere with the likes of Shane Barry, who stood up massively against Adare, Brian O’Meara, Barry Duff and the afore-mentioned Fitzgerald that they are getting scores from where they might not have got them before. Mungret impressive to date but I do think, in wetter conditions, against Ballybrown that it may be a bit more like their match against Garryspillane, except Ballybrown have a lot more in attack. I don’t think either side are the finished article yet, but I just think Ballybrown are the type of team that Mungret don’t really like playing and that will see them through. Both will make the quarter-finals in my opinion and it’ll be interesting to see how they get on there. Ballybrown by 5.

3 Likes

Premier Intermediate

Saturday September 23
Blackrock vs Cappamore @ 1pm in Mungret
Bruff vs Effin @ 3.15pm in Kilmallock

Sunday September 24
Dromin/Athlacca vs Glenroe @ 1pm in Kilfinane
Na Piarsaigh 2 vs Newcastlewest @ 5pm in Croagh

Still another round to go in this after this weekend but the penultimate round is arguably the most important. I don’t think there is any side that can afford to slip-up with 6 teams of the 8 with a very real chance of making the semi-finals. I think Cappamore are fucked though. They’re not mathematically relegated but would need to win their last two and hope Glenroe lost their past two. An absolute disaster of a last minute against Na Piarsaigh has really cost them and I don’t know if they’ll coast through a tough Intermediate Championship next year either. It’s good news for Blackrock today though, they’ve now lost two of their last three games after a good start. They’re still well in contention to make a semi-final but need to get two points on the board against the team who are currently bottom and I fancy they’ll do that. Blackrock by 6.

Then we have a huge match between the top two in Kilmallock this afternoon. Both have four wins in the bag and the winner here will be secured of a semi-final spot. You would expect that both probably should make it through anyway but a win here would be a statement, it’s another game this weekend that you could definitely see being a county final. Both sides lost to Dromin/Athlacca, but it’s hard to know who have the more impressive results elsewhere. I’m on record of being a big fan of this Effin team, particularly their options in attack and that’s going to sway my opinion to come down on their side. I find that Bruff are a side who play nice hurling, a lot of young players in their ranks now (and Danny O’Leary hit 0-10 from play the last day, I believe?) but they can leave a lot of space for opposition forwards and I think Effin will thrive on that. Should be a cracker though. Effin by 4.

By Sunday, Glenroe will know whether they are already safe or whether they need to win to be sure of staying up. Dromin/Athlacca have been a weird team this season, they’ve beaten the top two, the most impressive teams at the grade, but were well-beaten by NCW and edged out by Blackrock. So, hard to get a read on where they are really at. But they seem to be coming back towards their strongest team, and I think they’ll get the job done tomorrow to put them in a good position going into the last round. D/A by 5.

NCW had such a poor start with two defeats but have won three on the trot. Still, the poor start means they can’t really afford another slip-up, particularly against a Na Piarsaigh side who are still in the hunt for a semi-final spot themselves. I don’t think Na Piarsaigh are expected to lose anybody else to their first team so the team from now should be their team but there is a reason NCW were many people’s favourites to go up; when they are in-form, they do have a nice spread of talent for this level. I think they’ll make it four-in-a-row which should put them in a decent position ahead of the last round. NCW by 6.

Intermediate Group 1

Sunday September 24
Bruree vs Pallasgreen @ 2pm in Kilmallock
Croagh/Kilfinny vs Kilmallock 2 @ 2pm in Feenagh
Hospital/Herbertstown vs Knockaderry @ 2pm in Ballyagran

Bruree were beaten by C/K in the last round but are still already through to a quarter-final at least. Pallasgreen, despite all their red cards, look like they’ll be in a decent position to join them because of their head-to-head record. A win over Bruree would secure it but I do think it’s unlikely. To me, C/K & Bruree were always a good bit ahead of the other four teams in this group and that has proven to be the case. The influx of youth to Bruree’s team over the past couple of years has completely freshened things up and I do think that John Kiely was casting an eye over the likes of Sam Cronolly the last day. Pallasgreen won’t lie down but I don’t think they have enough quality to beat a well-drilled Bruree side. Bruree by 7.

C/K have four wins from four and it’s hard to see them not making it five from five against a Kilmallock side who are now in real danger of a relegation play-off after the defeat to H/H in the last round. They have to at least get a draw because the head-to-head rule means that they will lose out if they finish on the same points as both H/H & Knockaderry. I just don’t see how they win against a C/K side who are looking to make a third final in a row, and actually go one better this team. A big gulf between these two sides imo, C/K by 12.

H/H looked in bother but the win over Kilmallock in the last round should be enough to save them from the dreaded relegation play-off unless something unexpected happens in Feenagh. And now this is pretty much a free hit for both these sides, although a quarter-final spot may actually be impossible because both lose on the head-to-head to Pallasgreen. Still, both need a result to be absolutely sure they aren’t leapfrogged by Kilmallock in the unlikely event of them winning. I think Knockaderry have been slightly more impressive so far this year but that H/H have more potential if they are all pulling in the one direction. That might be the case after getting the win the last day and racking up a decent score but I’ll go for Knockaderry by 2.

Intermediate Group 2

Sunday September 24
Croom vs Feohanagh @ 1pm in Ballingarry
Granagh/Ballingarry vs Murroe/Boher @ 5pm in Na Piarsaigh
Knockainey vs St. Kieran’s @ 5pm in Fedamore

Croom vs Feohanagh tomorrow is a straight fight to see who avoids the relegation play-off. People have been predicting Croom’s doom for years and it finally looks like it might be the year where that comes true. They have been an aging team for a long time, an old team for a long time, are they now down? Feohanagh started this season so well with a good win over M/B but it’s been a disaster since then, the worst being the dour one-point defeat to Kieran’s. A quarter-final spot is now unlikely even if they win well but I expect them to have too much for Croom. Feohanagh by 6.

G/B have been the form team at this grade, 8-89 in four games is an average of 2-22 per game, which is some going for 60 minutes of club hurling. Their lowest tally was last round against Kieran’s where they only hit 0-20 but it’s hard to see them not going five from five even if their semi-final spot is already secured. M/B have been very up-and-down. They have racked up decent scores in their wins, 1-29 the last day against Croom, but have also suffered a couple of bad defeats. Seanie Tobin is back and looks in great form, he hit 0-8 from play the last day. But even if they were playing to their absolute best, they wouldn’t be guaranteed of beating the form side in the division. So, very hard to go against G/B. G/B by 7.

Kieran’s were tipped by many to go down but have a very real chance of making a quarter-final if they win. However, Knockainey are favourites, particularly after edging past Feohanagh the last day. Knockainey are most likely already in the quarter-final but need a result of some sort to assure them of that and I think they will have too much firepower for Kieran’s; Kieran’s have done better against the sides that lack natural scorers up top and, to be fair to Knockainey, I think they have a decent attack. Knockainey by 6.

3 Likes

Junior A Group 1

Saturday September 24
Askeaton vs Ballybricken/Bohermore @ 5pm in Ballybrown
Kilteely/Dromkeen vs Staker Wallace @ 5pm in Caherconlish
Monagea vs Patrickswell 2 @ 5pm in Kilmallock

Askeaton are probably unlikely to make a quarter-final because of their head-to-head record against Monagea and Kilteely/Dromkeen, both last minute defeats but I do give them a good chance of at least making the top three and securing a Premier Junior spot for next year. That would mean ending B/B’s hopes of a quarter-final. Dan Owens has been up there as the most in-form player in the Junior Championship with his electric pace, but Willie O’Meara and Oisin O’Farrell have both been superb for Askeaton too. This will be very close, but I’m going to go with Askeaton by 2.

K/D look very good for this level and it’s almost impossible to see them not beating the Stakers. With Darragh Carroll and Denis O’Dea in-form, I expect them to rack up a big score no matter what Dermot McCarthy does at the other end. K/D by 12.

A win should see Monagea through but they’re certainly not guaranteed anything against a Well side who had Andrew Carroll back the last day. But the Well have been really disappointing by their own standards and with Monagea needing a win to secure their spot, I think they’ll just about get the job done. Monagea by 3.

Junior A Group 2

Saturday September 23
Caherline vs Templeglantine @ 3pm in Ballyagran
Claughaun vs Tournafulla @ 3pm in Feenagh
Crecora/Manister vs Garryspillane 2 @ 3pm in Bruff

This group looks done, I haven’t checked all the permutations but it seems very unlikely that Caherline and Crecora/Manister don’t qualify. Caherline have looked good on their return and while I like Templeglantine, it’s a team already through against a team probably out. Caherline by 5.

Tour will be very disappointed with their defeat to C/M which pretty much knocks them out. Claughaun have been a disaster and are in the relegation semi-final, regardless of what happens. Tour will win this handy. Tour by 12.

C/M are through and will pick up a big win against the Bouncers’ second team. At least the Bouncers can’t suffer relegations at two grades in the one year as a result of their win over Claughaun early on. C/M by 13.

Junior A Group 3

Saturday September 23
Feenagh/Kilmeedy vs St. Patrick’s @ 5pm in Martinstown

Sunday September 23
Ahane 2 vs Killeedy @ 5pm in Martinstown
Castletown/Ballyagran vs Old Christians @ 5pm in Garryspillane

Another group that I believe is already set in stone because of the head-to-head rule. But the two play this evening to see who tops the group. F/K arguably the form team at the entire grade but Pat’s have done really well to bounce back from a horrible opening day defeat against an unfancied Christians. This one is very hard to call because Pat’s have grown into it and have got their supporting cast going well, alongside the two Hegartys. But F/K do seem very well-coached and just seem to have a range of options in attack with Fitzgibbon getting lots of plaudits here. I’ll go F/K by 3.

Killeedy need to beat Ahane 2 to be sure they won’t be in relegation and I expect them to have enough to do that, despite it being a disappointing year for them. Killeedy by 9.

And C/B should have enough to beat Christians. There is at least the carrot for them of making the top three and securing Premier Junior next year which seems unlikely for a side like Killeedy. C/B by 7.

Junior A Group 4

Sunday September 24
Blackrock 2 vs Rathkeale @ 12.30pm in Coolyroe
Bruff 2 vs Doon 2 @ 4.30pm in Monaleen
Dromcollogher/Broadford vs Mungret/St. Paul’s 2 @ 5pm in Askeaton

One of Blackrock and Rathkeale will be in a relegation semi-final. Both winless so far, Rathakeale have had marginally more impressive results and you would think a first team versus a poor second team should only end one way. Rathkeale by 5.

I think Doon 2 should beat Bruff 2 but it doesn’t look like either will make it through. But it would mean that Doon go over Bruff and be on the right side of the Premier Junior split for next season. Doon by 4.

And the top two face off, Mungret with a 100% record against a D/B side who drew with Bruff. I think D/B might just edge this by 1 although I’ve been burned by backing against Mungret already this year.

6 Likes

Top class as always mate

Crecora won 4-16 to 5pts roughly.

1 Like

Is there relegation from junior A still this year? Would in effect be getting relegated two divisions?

Apparently the bouncers asked the game to be blown after 50 mins and the ref obliged.

1 Like

Ballybrown last year

Was blown at 55 mins

That’s same as C/M vs Claughaun, and same ref!

1 Like

Kilalmallock 1-9 NaP 0-20 at the shadow boxing match in Doon.

Ahane 0-13 Doon 2-13
Well 3-17 K/P 1-14

1-9 is horrific scoring for a hurling match no matter how many shadows were boxed.

A hammer blow to our hopes of county glory

7 Likes

Was talking to a KK lad last week who played in a challenge against Killmallock this year, couldn’t get over young O’Brien, reckoned he was better than anything they had coming in KK by daylight. I’d say ye are not too perturbed this evening all the same.

Going to be some buckle for starting places in Limerick next year.

1 Like

O’Loughlin Gaels I’d say

1 Like