Limerick GAA 2023-2024.... 5 in a row is not here

Iā€™m fairly sure the main pitch is the only pitch that is capable of holding an adult game. By far the best surface in the county at this time of year

2 Likes

Whatever - I suppose ā€˜back-to-back years in the Provincial Championshipsā€™

Definitely, both are just smaller training pitches.

The back pitch at cappamore was in excellent condition last Sunday. A credit to the club.

1 Like

3 Likes

no issue whatsoeverā€¦

Barry Oā€™Connell transferring to Toomevara @Aristotle, or so goes the word on the grapevine?

Yes he is.

Sadly, yes.

One of the best weā€™ll ever have.

2 Likes

Can hardly be talked around? It wouldnā€™t be a huge distance to travel for training

1 Like

He works in Dublin full time. Lives in toomevara with a young family.

1 Like

Some addition to Toomevara.

Theyā€™ve done well in the transfer window in recent years without it going above the radar.

Heā€™s some amount of hurling done for his age. nearly 13 seasons done with the club at adult level.

Done some amount of underage hurling for Limerick too. Had just turned 17 Iā€™d say when making his 21s debut v cork in the Munster semi final in 2011 I think it was.

1 Like

You are correct.

Great soccer player too I believe as a young lad. His grandfather was a great character and serious hurler way back when, for Doon.

1 Like

He was a tidy soccer player.

Got very close to an Irish under 14 or 16s team I canā€™t recall which.

When he was 13 he played murro boher three times in about ten days. 14s, 16s and minor. The minors were very stuck to field a team.

He ran riot in the 14s and 16s and was the difference in the minor game.

In came an objection presuming he was overage for the under 14s and it turned he was actually ineligible for the minors. Not sure if the game was forfeited but it was around that time they got really strict on playing above your age grade.

2 Likes

Centre back for tipp sorted for a few years at least.

2 Likes

Young lads are not allowed to become too good now as 13/14 year olds.

Back then youā€™d have lads capable of scoring 4-09 in an u14 game and it was normal.

Oā€™Connell transferred to Ard Scoil in later years as I dont remember him playing at u14 for them. Jamie Shanahan from Clare was the main man at that age group and he was absolutely unbelievable.

I dont think they make them like that anymore.

He went into ard scoil after junior cert.

I wonder what the rule was back then? If you turned 16 or 17 you could play adult hurling I think even in the middle of the year?

Iā€™m nearly sure Barry made his kildimo debut v glenroe in a knock out game but Iā€™m not a 100 percent.

You could play Adult in your first year out of U16. It didnt matter when your 17th birthday was.

Noel McGrath won a Munster Club with Loughmore before his 17th birthday.

However that U17 rule only came in around 2006 i think.

Before that it was complete wild west stuff with 14/15 year olds playing Senior. Eoin Kelly came on in the 1997 Tipp Senior Final as 15 year old. I think renowned poster @glenshane won an Ulster Club Football medal as a mere 15 year old the same year.

Joe Canning played in 2004 for Portumna I think as an U16.

1 Like

Ya I could be wrong but Iā€™m 85 percent sure it was 1/4 final when Barry made his debut v glenroe marking Mike o Brien Iā€™d say.

I had it in my head he only became eligible mid way through the season but my memory be playing tricks on me.