Limerick GAA 2023-2024.... 5 in a row is not here

If you have three centres of excellence do they stop becoming centres and start becoming rims of excellence

1 Like

This will be the hurling centre of excellence

2 Likes

What exactly would U.L or rathkeale be missing that say other counties would have ?

Patrickswell must have some Of the worst facilities around and they’ve produced three of the last hurlers of the year. Might be something in that.

Rathkeale is a very poor standard compared to most counties nowadays. You have one pitch you can’t play games as sliotars will destroy cars.

The main pitch is of poor standard most the year. Most counties now have 3/4 pitches floodlit with up to 8 changing rooms and state of the art gym.

I know their is plans for a gym in the new stand but long overdue

2 Likes

Also UL is not owned by limerick so we are dependent on them for availability etc although they are very good too the academies in particular

Two for hurling and one for handball.

A site in Foynes being scouted for the rounders centre of excellence

2 Likes

A shame there is a bit of a distance between them, we could have had a centre of excellence quarter.

3 Likes

Can we make a triangle of excellence out of it

I like the sound of that.

The pitches are so poor in Mick Neville because they wouldn’t pay the money to maintain them properly when they were first layed.

It took 10 years to get the stand built and even that’s a scaled back version.

So ya, lets build another centre of excellence we wont maintain properly.

Don’t they own St Endas now as well?

The land around Patrickswell and Creacora would be fairly pricey too,the local TD probably owns it :grinning:

Supposedly Gerry McManus does.

2 Likes

Was it 10/11 years ago the field was closed for the Limerick senior hurling team but it was actually over a lawsuit around the surface?

Makes sense. Rathkeale is grand but its a fair distance from east Limerick in particular.

A centre of excellence there in the middle of the county is ideal. Doon as an example to Rathkeale must be nearly 60km for parents. I think its a good initiative. Keep the two going strong.

2 Likes

It’s up by o Connells mill I think.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/gerryneill2022/status/1508563614122364932?s=46

The kicked goal is Iconic.

4 Likes

Ger Cunningham was fucking useless

That was the same day Joe Quaid made a few ridiculous saves. I was in the old seats right behind the goals. It absolutely lashed rain I remember finding a fiver in a puddle. When a fiver was a fiver.

6 Likes

It was. Joe had a habit of making routine saves look spectacular.

That game was shown live. It was brilliant. Barry Egan and Ger Manly were brilliant for Cork iirc.

1 Like