Limerick GAA 2023-2024.... 5 in a row is not here

Not to worry they’ll bate Leitrim anyways

Why was Mark Fitzgerald deemed not good enough? I thought he did a decent job when he took over last year in difficult circumstances after that Mayo clown. I think he did enough to get a crack at it for another year. Narrowly lost to Clare in Munster and beaten in Tailtean Cup on a day they missed 5 guilt edged goal opportunities. Fair enough if they were getting in a big appointment but that wasn’t the case.

1 Like

Just like his brother, jimmy will need time. A couple of years to try and blood in lads, which is hard as it is considering lads from our strongest underage club are refusing to play.

Who is he blooding in at the moment? Only Rigter and Baynham from the team at the weekend are new?

Why have the Mungret lads not agreed to play?

2 Likes

Ya it will take time to blood in the likes of Brian o Sullivan, Shane Doherty and jack English alright.

1 Like

I’m guessing but I’d imagine it’s to give themselves
An edge in the club championship.

I don’t know who he did and didn’t ask but, realistically, the S&C gap for football is even bigger than it is for hurling. You probably need to be on the panel for the bones of two years before you’re ready for senior intercounty football.

To be honest, maybe he could be doing slightly better but when you lose the quality & experience that we lost this year, I don’t think I was expecting much else.

O’Sullivan, Fanning, the 2 Donovans, Sheehan; Hugh Bourke also unavailable at the moment. Add on the likes of Josh Ryan, Adrian Enright & Danny Neville.

Those lads gave great service tbf to them but it wouldn’t be easy to replace them even if we had a load of quality coming through.

There is no doubt that there is lads who are losses, Donal Sullivan, Fanning, Brian Donovan and Cian Sheehan especially. Not sure i would include Josh and Danny in this context as they haven’t been available for some time. I wasn’t critical of Jimmy by the way I just think Mark Fitzgerald deserved a crack at it after last year. Someone above mentioned blooding in lads but the vast majority of players starting have been around the panel for a few years.

Totally agree with your last comment re the players btw and their service.

At the end of the day, it’s only football.

9 Likes

Did I see that Donal O’Sullivan transferred to Salthill?

Lads from mungret and Casey’s won’t play so his hands are tied. Those have the best young players

Didn’t hear that but he is based in Galway Hospital so it would make sense

I have the season ticket printed for my father for the Limerick vs Tipp game, I presume it’ll work in Cork the weekend with the venue change? Or will I have to try and get someone to teach him how to use a computer between now and then?

Existing tickets are valid so it should work. Ticketmaster email says tickets are valid for the North Stand.

Perfect thanks

2 Likes

I believe the players didn’t want him as manager. They wanted him as a coach alright though

He is better off now the way its turned out for Clare but my understanding is that it was players who persuaded him to go forward with an application for Limerick job. Very possible some players were for him and some against though, you’d have to be involved to know I suppose. Would the players have been pro Jimmy? I don’t recall him ever being involved with Limerick teams before so most wouldn’t have worked with him. Had he any inter county experience?

I don’t ever remember him involved with any team up until recently. I’m sure the NCW gurus will correct me