Limerick GAA 2023-2024.... 5 in a row is not here

English will make play for himself; Flanagan leads the line and makes space for everyone and is a great finisher. Gillane will tell JK.

Flanaganā€™s touch is often poor at this time of year but, generally, when it comes to Championship, heā€™s fine. Iā€™d be shocked if he doesnā€™t start basically every Championship game heā€™s fit for tbh.

But if heā€™s being pushed hard, that can only be a good thing.

1 Like

Not a hope, Hego is flying it by all accounts & has been very good in certain games.

On the basis that Tom plays and Cian is Cian. I think SOB is inevitable. When Mary I brought him out in the Fitz it steadied the whole thing. Hego is an ATG but I can see SOB. He gives that control on the ball.

Fair enough, I rate SOB no doubt but I donā€™t see him dislodging Hego just yet.

Also on Flanagan, always been poor in league. He was flying it in Munster championship last year too. Thereā€™s no fear of him.

1 Like

SOB is undoubtedly a class hurler but there is no need to rush it. His shooting accuracy needs to improve a little bit. Hego looks to be in great form this year.

2 Likes

Regardless if what happens this year, thereā€™ll be a bit of movement regarding retirements. I suspect Kiely will call it a day as well. Kinnerck probably has more offers on the table than he can deal with. On the pitch , youā€™re probably looking at Mulcahy, possibly Hannon, David Reiidy. I think you could see hegarty call it a day as well. I think hegarty is just sick of the attention at this stage. Flanagan is another where the family situation might influence a decision. All that opens up possibilities for the likes of Oā€™Brien, Oā€™Neill and Adam English

1 Like

I like SOB too but I think heā€™ll be doing well to even be one of the 5 subs coming on in Championship. He still has a lot to learn, as talented as he is. But so young, still has an U-20 Championship to play this year. Hegarty looks back to his best aswell.

2 Likes

True, I like the way he uses the ball. Big, great touch, ball winner, always scanning for passes. Decent strike of a ball. I think he is the prototype of the system much more than an Adam English.

Great position to have English, O Brien and O Neill as all possible starters and for O Dalaigh to have had the league he has. That said Iā€™l be surprised if O Brien gets ahead of Hego this year

I would have said that he can be very selfish at times, particularly when playing at underage. You can probably get away with that in the Gillane role on the edge of the square (Gillane is also quite selfish on the ball) but today was the first time he got picked out the field for the seniors. So it was a big opportunity and I agree that he was going fairly well and using the ball well. Which is encouraging as this is the decision-making part of the game which he has to learn. Unfortunate that it was cut short, silly red card.

I just think English is too good not to make it somewhere. He has some decision-making issues too (takes shots on from crazy angles & tries to do too much on his own sometimes) but he has a great touch, good paw, good work rate, a lovely strike, phenomenal pace & a real desire for goals.

1 Like

True-ultimately they play together. Interesting to see this year. Limerick are very lucky.

The 60 hour rule for u20s is a bit pointless when the Munster u20 matches are all fixed for Friday nights as it stands.

Yeah, not sure why not a Wednesday night tbh.

Hurling or nightclub?

If fit Flanagan starts come championship. Himself & Gillane work too well together not to.

1 Like

Areas of Flanagans game which have never developed are his first touch and ability to win his own ball in the air.

No doubting his workrate and effort. Heā€™s got credit in the bank but the young lads will be eyeing up his place for sure.

He looks frustrated to me and never fired after the early rounds last season. Sometimes itā€™s what is better for the whole group. You can always bring him on but sending a message lads are undroppable is the worse thing you can do.

The limericks donā€™t be long turning on their own

Was really impressed with Hegarty against Dublin. Heā€™s not normally so good so early in the year so I suspect heā€™ll be in peak form which is hurler of the year territory.