Limerick GAA 2023-2024.... 5 in a row is not here

https://twitter.com/offtheball/status/1777380889162313920?t=nxIB6BM99qJlw26a5Df0Fw&s=19

“Limerick are struggling” lads.

1 Like

Dragging all those medals around is hard work alright.

3 Likes

Limerick have tried a few players in a few different positions this year but I would be 99% sure that is something they definitely won’t do. Hegarty’s going well out the field this year and he’s just not that good with his back to goal.

I don’t really see Limerick making any big changes; they believe the gameplan works, any adjustments will only be small tweaks mainly depending on the personnel involved (with injuries dictating a large part of it).

5 Likes

Is Lynch off crutches? And how long is Kyle out for? Big losses for Ennis.

Bar possibly 2020 there was never a huge gap in Munster. I think it’s a bit of a myth to be honest. Beaten soundly by Clare in 2018. Cork gave them a nice enough trimming in 2019. The 2021 Munster final took a giant effort in the second half to get over the line and we know that only for Tipps collapse against Waterford last year, they would have had to go through in 3rd spot.
The game plan and personnel may stay broadly the same. I would argue that their approach at the start of each season has been different every year. Lucky not to get relegated after the league in 2022 and bar the Munster final probably had their most comfortable round robin. Cruised through the league last year and struggled in Munster. Out at semi final of the league this year. Depending on what side of the argument you’re on, they either pulled on the brakes early or were just off it. Either way , the world and his wife are talking about Clare after Saturday evening as Limerick happy to let them be the centre of attention for the next fortnight, quietly get on with their business

2 Likes

Good man Colm

4 Likes

Clare genuinely look extremely dangerous this year and have added more quality to their panel again. I don’t remember them ever having as many genuine forward options.

They match up extremely well with Limerick in the middle third too obviously. Going to be a hell of a game Sunday week in Ennis notwithstanding the worry one of the weaker referrees gets the gig and makes an absolute bollix out of it.

As first rounds go since 2018 though, this has a bit of a knockout feel to it. I can’t wait personally.

A Clare loss and cork could end there season before the end of April.

1 Like

On what basis? Ennis is a notoriously tough place to go in the Round Robin. Tipp in 2019 is the only occasion where I can think of Clare not turning up in Ennis and obviously that was before Brian Lohan. In the 4 championship meetings in 2022 and 23’ the teams were so evenly matched. A draw in Ennis in 22’, Limerick after extra-time in the Munster Final, Clare won in Limerick in the 23’ round robin and lost the final by a point. There’s very little to suggest that Limerick will destroy them.

I know Clare don’t like going down there but I think they’re a really dangerous team this year. They’ve added to it and Tony Kelly is still to come back into it.

Lohan has done some job with them to be fair. They’ve a panel now.

Those Munster finals were like training games for Limerick, their performances after in knock out matches showed that,
They won’t want a repeat of last year when they were minutes away from exiting the championship, they’ll be primed for this.

And the fact that they’re a miles better team than Clare :man_shrugging:

There’s still doubts persisting about Clare because of their underwhelming record in Croke Park but they’ll be seriously competitive with anyone in the tight confines of Ennis. David Fitzgerald is starting to resemble Hego more and more, they have a magician in Tony Kelly who’s usually afforded space and time by Limerick and crucially Conor Cleary is fit this year so they don’t have to rely on Cian Nolan at full-back. Diarmuid Ryan reminds me of Byrnes with his long range shooting. They’re the second best team in the country and it’ll be a worrying sign for the chasing pack if they can’t rattle Limerick on the first day out.

The worry would be an injury to John Conlon at centre-back. Would David McInerney do a job there in such a case?

They’re no more dangerous than the other challengers

I can’t remember the last time there were so many questions marks over how the team will lineout between fitness and form. Quaid Nash Byrnes WOD Hegarty Morrissey Gillane the only definite picks I think, plus CON but where will he play. Gotta trust Kiely and kinnerk will get it right based on training.

Time will tell but they’re better than Galway, Tipp just don’t have it, Cork aren’t ready yet and are still worryingly reliant on most of the same players, Kilkenny are admirably gallant but a couple of players short of winning the big one. Clare just need to produce a statement performance in Croker to really copper-fasten their credentials.

1 Like

Put up the team there along with how many proper matches they’ve played this year. A lot of key players with very little hurling done.

We are going to go up to Ennis and we are going to walk all over the cunts

6 Likes

I’ll refer to my excel spreadsheet and get back to you.

Is Tony Kelly back from injury can someone tell me

‘I tink, I tink, I tink’

No context with what he’s saying. Pure guff

1 Like