Limerick GAA 2023-2024.... 5 in a row is not here

@TreatyStones what you make of that football team?

Is he as good? Shay is a ridiculous athlete, must be some loss to Pat’s.

Is Danny Neville injured? And what’s the story with Corbett on the bench?

If you added the two of them into the starting team, it’d be a decent XV. Good to have Michael Donovan back involved. As it is, it’s not a bad starting team but that bench is weak.

I presume Colm McSweeney, Rob Childs, Jim Liston are all injured; they were regulars during the league.

Not sure if he is as dedicated as Shay , but talent wise probably is.

1 Like

A very shaky start and conceded an absolutely horrific goal but completely took over for the middle part of the half. Waterford do have some dangerous inside forwards but are weak enough elsewhere.

Any time we run at them from deep, we cut through them. We seem to be able to work the ball out much easier than we did in the other games. Some of the deliveries inside are poor though, the inside line look to have the beating of their men but aren’t getting great ball. SOB should definitely have had a goal, rounded his man but then flicked it over the bar.

Think Scully has 0-3 from play from distance too. Hayes is doing well dropping deep from 11 and carrying it (again the decision-making is poor at times). SOB is on fire in terms of winning the ball but has been wasteful, OOF looks dangerous too. Davy hurling well as the corner-back moving to half-back.

Now destroying the Waterford puckout, they don’t seem to have any real outlet and it just means we have constant pressure. Think they will have the breeze in the second half though, would have been nice to be further ahead.

Lovely images of silage being done in the field behind the goal.

3 Likes

Must be the first cut in the country

1 Like

My first thoughts when i threw on the game, they did the silage today

1 Like

Made life more difficult for ourselves than it needed to be. Honestly, a very poor second half from both sides really but Waterford at least pulled themselves back into it.

Oisin, Harrington & Scully got the scores to level and win it but we didn’t play well.

SOB was destroying his man in the first half but was very poor in the second half by his standards, taking way too much out of the ball. The half-forward line faded from the game completely, the midfielders weren’t involved to the same extent. We gave away a lot of stupid frees too.

Overall, Langan had his best game tonight but needs a lot more development. Davy had his best game too, hurled a lot of ball. Best game for Scully too and scored a lot but I don’t know if he makes it at senior intercounty without having some sort of right side, gets caught on it too often for my liking.

For me, O’Farrell looks like the one who is the most likely to make it other than SOB. His decision-making is good and he fights for every ball. He needs to tidy up his hurling a bit but he’s got the raw materials. Fintan Fitz had a bad start to the campaign but has shown flashes of excellence. Quiet enough again tonight but was starved of ball, not sure if that’s his best position. Definitely Hayes was the best outlet at 11, offered something different. Again, decision-making can let him down.

Seniors-wise, maybe a few of the younger lads might make it but will need more development at club & this level before you could say for sure. Any 18-year-old who is starting at 20s must have something about him though- Casey, Matthew Fitz, ROF, Flanagan are definitely good prospects.

I think that might have been the first game since round 1 that Patrick Fitzgerald played and you’d really wonder how they were expected to cope without him. He didn’t even have close to his best game but he was still their main outlet by a mile.

7 Likes

Do you think SOB can make the senior team later this year?
Has not been great at u20 level this season but I think he’s a handful for any corner back with the right supply

I’d be surprised if he did tbh. I’ve no doubt he’ll be a very good senior player in time but I think if he can force himself into the 26, that’d be a good step first & foremost and that’d still be a bit off featuring on the pitch.

Immensely talented but has a few bad habits that he won’t get away with at senior level, he gives too many opportunities to defenders to dispossess him for absolutely no reason. Quality of backs at this level will take that every day of the week.

3 Likes

Danny is injured. I believe Hugh Bourke was bad and got injured again too.

I don’t think it matters what team goes out tomorrow. Focus will be on the other two games.

We have at least three templates. Always good to have options I suppose.

https://twitter.com/LimerickCLG/status/1789059687997939880?t=eATGWxrQ0H7nmVrG14LB1g&s=19

1 Like

SOB isthe nuts and should be with the seniors to me. Lads from other counties who hurled challenge games v Kilmallock are v high on him. He is the future 11 for Limerick. Has it all. There is no real weakness there.

SOB- CON-AE could keep Limerick close a while.

SOB seems to be able to win his own ball which is huge.

Few lads cutting silage in the south-east last weekend. I’d say we won’t cut ours until late June.

There was silage done beside us there on Wednesday.A few bales

They are flat to the mat in West Limerick today

1 Like

I drove past the Ag College yesterday evening and the smell of fresh cut meadow was unrale

Aidan o Connor scored the identical point to Tom Ryan’s score v Tipperary in 2014.

It was a carbon copy.

Absolutely gutted we didn’t hang on.

When Hannon and O’Donoghue are back ye will be a different team

Ah sure look, enjoy tonight. No need for condescending behaviour, those lads owe nothing to nobody.