Limerick GAA 2023-2024.... 5 in a row is not here

We should have closed the game and we didnā€™tā€™ ā€“ John Kiely praises Cork but vents frustration at lost opportunity

Dermot Crowe

May 12 2024 07:50 AM

After a rare and dramatic defeat at the hands of Cork (3-28 to 3-26), it is hard to know where the Limerick manager should start. But his view on some key moments, including the Rebelsā€™ last-gasp goal, can be telling.

John Kiely said he didnā€™t have a good view of the black card penalty call that turned the Munster Championship classic with Cork in the home teamā€™s favour.

ā€œI havenā€™t seen that, I have no comment to make,ā€ he said of the incident which led to Patrick Horgan scoring the decisive goal.

ā€œMy issue was more the other end of the field. We scored a point, and we got punished because the ball was pucked out literally as the ball went over the bar. The issue wasnā€™t at the top end of the field, it was at the other end. But anyway, it is what it is. That shouldnā€™t be the talking point of the game.

ā€œListen we were poor in the first half. Cork were by far the better team in the first half. We struggled on breaking ball, we struggled on puck-outs. We didnā€™t give ourselves enough passages of play where we were able to build the play and so forth. Listen, that was disappointing and Cork created a lot of scoring chances, they probably should have been a bit more up at half time in my opinion.ā€

He felt they were capable of getting back in the game at half time, when eight points down.

ā€œWeā€™ve been in that situation before and we had confidence in ourselves being able to turn it around. And I think we started the second half really well, we got a good platform together. We were really solid off their puck-out, we put a good press on them, we created some turnovers, got good scores, we were accurate in our shooting, and we took control of the game. And found energy, lots of energy, all over the pitch.

ADVERTISEMENT

ā€œWe lost Sean (Finn), we lost Declan (Hannon), these were all set-backs obviously but to be fair to the lads who came on, I thought they fought manfully and really contributed hugely for us. We put ourselves in a position to win the game, we were four points up, we should have closed out the game and we didnā€™t. Thatā€™s on us. We had plenty chances to deal with that ball over on the far side, we didnā€™t deal with it. And we paid the price for it.ā€

He was asked about Limerick leaving themselves with too much to do in games.

ā€œYou canā€™t do this every day, can you? You can play the handicap all you want but youā€™re putting too much pressure on yourself. The game is 75-80 minutes long, not 35 minutes long. The first half was very, very disappointing.

"Listen weā€™ve two weeks to regroup. Two weeks to fill ourselves up with energy and come back to the table in two weeks time and glad to be going back to the Gaelic Grounds to have that opportunity. I think we have to look at this in perspective. Itā€™s a four-game competition. Everything is not lost or won here tonight. Weā€™ve two from three, thatā€™s not a bad place to be, and the one we lost we should have won.

ā€œWeā€™ve done this to teams in the past, tonight is our turn to taste the medicine. We did it to Clare below in Ennis and came late with a couple of scores to win it. Cork came late tonight with a couple of scores to win it. So I think we have to accept it. You cannot get away with trying to do this all the time. You have to be more consistent across the 75-80 minutes.ā€

He said that Mike Casey is back in training and expected to be available in two weeksā€™ time. Sean Finnā€™s injury is ā€œmore likely a hamstringā€ and his prospects unclear.

On the spaces afforded to Cork in the first half, he gave credit to Cork.

ADVERTISEMENT

ā€œWe try to do that to teams as well, so you have to give credit to Cork for that they were able to do there .We should have dealt with it better.ā€

And he was critical of the difficult in getting messages to players during play.

ā€œIn the modern game you are not allowed get

1 Like

messages on to the pitch. Itā€™s a difficulty. What sport in the world doesnā€™t allow communication with the players, itā€™s pure bonkers. Pat Ryan Iā€™m sure is paralysed on the line at times as well. You canā€™t get a message on to the pitch. You canā€™t hear from six feet away, here we are destroying our vocal chords. Theyā€™ll have to have a fine pot of money put away for the big claims that will be put in for damage to our vocal chords. They might want to have a rethink about what theyā€™re actually doing. Itā€™s madness, bonkers.

ā€œRugby, soccer, any of these games you can easily get a message into the players. I think every GAA manager and coach is frustrated beyond belief that we canā€™t get even just three messages a half.

" Anyway itā€™s no sour grapes on my part tonight, fair play to Cork, they came back and got two great scores to win it.ā€

He said thoughts now were on staying in the race, not chasing a record sixth consecutive Munster final win.

ā€œThere is nobody looking at a Munster final, I can assure you that it is the furthest thing from our minds. We need to get two points on the board the next day, that is the bottom line for us. Weā€™re back in that mindset now where we need to get two points,ā€ he said looking ahead to the Waterford match.

I wouldnā€™t be critical of FOC, some cauldron to be thrown into and it will stand to him.

I think we probably tired a little bit mentally after the effort to regain the lead. Nash made a sprint up the sideline for a puckout when we were four up, it wasnā€™t really on and it was two v one by the time Nickie pucked it, we ended up conceding. Kyle had no need to make that tackle in that way, I imagine he probably just forgot about the black card rule in the moment as a lot of people in the stadium seemed to.

Iā€™m confident we will beat Waterford but the biggest loss is not being able to forget about that match and getting four weeks for some players to recover - if Casey is ready it will be just about, Hannon clearly isnā€™t 100%, WOD effectively playing injured and all of them will need to play in two weeks.

2 Likes

That sprint from Nash was in front of meā€¦ It wasnā€™t on at allā€¦ Needed the Limerick forward to pull away to make more space for him. Fine marginsā€¦ And i was in no way being critical of FOCā€¦ Just felt Finn would have been cooler but shur, ifs and buts

1 Like

Easy to blame our backs but it was the work rate in the forwards that caught us out imo. Our backs were always defending as a unit and ensured there was no space but now thereā€™s space. Need the half forwards to help byrnes. Also need to keep him closer to the full back line.

O Neill isnā€™t blessed with pace either and while heā€™s a big lad and can be aggressive is natural game isnā€™t chasing runners.

Why did o daillaigh slip down the pecking order? A few odd subs as well.

Harsh on FOC, if anything he was an improvement on Finn as he played from the front.

Byrnes form from a defensive pov probably is a worry.

Hannon had cramp according to Kiely.

FOC was fine. A baptism of fireā€¦ Look at his first bit of action thoā€¦ Gets to the ball , has time to raise it and instead fumbles and is pounced on and Cork score. A couple of plays later something similar happenedā€¦

Great experience overall for him and heā€™ll get the start next day instead of coming in to a cauldron.

1 Like

I found hard to sleep last night after watching the game, as well as the drama in carlow.
So you can imagine the adrenaline the cork lads used up. Will they be able to properly refocus and be ready for tipp.

He was beaten and he was falling, it was nearly harder for him not to react and drag the player down. Heā€™s around long enough and a good enough player that he should have had the sense and ability not to do it. I donā€™t blame him for it massively though, I donā€™t think that incident in isolation was the winning and losing of the game. For one thing we still had the puckout to come and needed to work a point for a draw, youā€™d back us to manage that every time and we didnā€™t.

Hayes put in a tour de force. He kept Limerick in it for long periods. A hurling freak of nature.

20 Likes

Thatā€™s a lovely pat on the head, youā€™re a hoore.

1 Like

Normally youā€™d be disappointed losing a game, but itā€™s frustrating/annoying more than anything with the manner of it. I heard the Kiely with interview on Sporting Limerick and it echoed pretty much everything I was saying myself last night.

The first half was unacceptable, Cork tactically outwitted us and we were too slow to react on puckouts. It has happened a couple of times but I felt we were much slower than usual to get a handle on it.

Second half we were very good to be honest. You would never have been worried at half time, weā€™ve been in this position many times before. But to fuck it away having clawed back control of the game; now that is annoying. Itā€™s a new experience for the team. Various reasons for it happening but I do think we generally played very well in the second half and it was just being so easy to score against in the first half that really killed us.

I said beforehand that I thought we would probably win because games involving Cork tend to just have a scandalous number of chances. And that was true but we didnā€™t come out on the right side of it. It looked like we would when we went 4 up but, fair play to them, they kept plugging away and never wilted. The goal to win it is an abomination from a Limerick pov but you would think that will be something we will learn from, so Iā€™m not as worried about that.

More worrying would be that they managed to isolate us in battles for pace way too easily, and won those battles. Hannon hurled well on the ball but was definitely exposed by Barrett in a footrace. Normally, Limerick donā€™t really allow that to happen, the overall work rate covers individuals. But I think Byrnes being so out-of-form meant that that half-back line, which has been a strength so often, was a weakness. Kyle was immense tbh, he was putting out fires all over the place but Harnedy & Barrett were huge for Cork.

We were a young, pacy team full of energy in 2018. Now, we are an older, experienced team with loads of hurling but we definitely are susceptible to pace. And I know a few of the Cork posters were saying that Cork arenā€™t as quick as they once were, and that may be true, but they still have a few flyers and were able to exploit that.

Again, when you lose a match, there are so many small factors that lead to a defeat. Even with all Corkā€™s pace, we had wrested back control of the game. We were turning them over on short puckouts regularly (in both halves) and the damage that they were doing on long puckouts was definitely nowhere near as bad in the second half (the wind obviously a factor there) but the first half, we were lucky to only go in 8 down. Nickie pulled off another couple of miraculous saves and we were maybe lucky they didnā€™t put the head down and go for goal another couple of times.

I do think that we miss someone in the Mulcahy/Casey role and I would make that change the next day. If it has to be English, it has to be English. When Downey sat in in the first half, we had no real outball because the gap between half-forward & full-forward was too much. When we broke the line and ran at them, it opened up but, again, we just lack a little bit of raw pace in that midfield/half-forward region. And Cork were vulnerable to it but we just didnā€™t do it enough.

We also have a concern with the form of Byrnes. Thatā€™s 3 games where he hasnā€™t really got going. He is such an important player for the team in an attacking sense but he is just not contributing. Teams are trying to shut him down in terms of getting possessions, which takes out our longest deliverer. That should open up a space down that channel but the problem is that heā€™s also making poor decisions and defending poorly at the moment. We need everyone firing to be at our best and they exploited that flank so much, and got joy. It also leaves Hannon more exposed. Hannon himself got caught pushing way up the pitch too much and left a lot of space for their full-forward line to run into and they were beating us in footraces.

WOD did okay yesterday, was very good at times but I felt he could have offered more protection to the half-back line in the first half. After about 20 minutes, I thought we should have dropped right out the field and just left the Cork full-back line have the ball, they were no threat. And just choke the space back the field, the wind meant they were landing it well inside our '45 and we were taking massive gambles leaving free men behind our HB line. You have to do it at times but crazy to do it for any sort of long periods.

On individuals, Finn will be a massive loss. He brought a calm head to proceedings when we were under cosh. Some game for FOC to be thrown into for his debut; he went in at a time when we were shipping water and we had just lost the best full-back in the country. He made one costly mistake and was beaten in an aerial mismatch once but, other than that, he was really really good. Fought for everything and came out with some great ball. Heā€™s a good yoke and that was a baptism of fire. Nash struggled first half, came into it second half. Thought Dan did fairly well against a difficult opponent.

Half-back line Iā€™ve spoken about. Kyle was excellent but obviously the penalty was costly. I think there is no way he makes that decision if it crosses his mind that it would be a penalty, probably assumed itā€™d be a yellow and 20m free. Sadly, that assumption was costly. Obviously Kingston needed to be taken out way earlier, he canā€™t be allowed to flick the ball over someoneā€™s head. Really poor defending down that flank.

Hegarty was immense. If Limerick win the All Ireland, he will probably be Hurler of the Year, heā€™s just in that kind of form. Flanagan was on fire. Three brilliant finishes for the goals. Buzzed around like his old self, full of running & energy. I thought Gillane was always an outlet and a constant threat. The rest were good at times but probably not enough across the 70 minutes. I felt Reidy would be a lot more influential than he was. Lynch was decent in the second half but nowhere near as influential as the last 15 in Ennis. Tom had grown into it and had won a few hard balls.

Subs probably didnā€™t make as much of an impact as they have previously. Two classy scores from Adam & Aido, FOC did well but Boylan & DOD2 didnā€™t get much of a chance to make an impact. Adam didnā€™t get on as much ball as you would like after his score but worked hard.

Going forward, we will need Finn back. We miss DOD too, we miss his distribution. And I would play English inside at 15 personally. I donā€™t know whether Kiely will do that though. We have a couple of question marks over form and a couple of questions over pace. Some of them are linked. You donā€™t want to overreact and make a host of changes but obviously we are now going to be playing a very energetic Waterford side with survival probably on the line. I would imagine we will be out if we lose. So a couple of tweaks may be needed. Or players need to bring serious form in training.

Finally, on Cork, they had to bring a performance and they did, fair play to them. Tactically, they got a lot right and exposed weaknesses in Limerick. They still concede a huge amount but I suppose thatā€™s just the nature of their game. Their work rate from midfield up was much better than it usually is. Ethan Twomey I thought was excellent in midfield, heā€™s a serious player. The one cautionary note for them is that they seem to get too riled up: they should have had two red cards yesterday and it would have been the third game in a row that they had got stupid sending offs. They were quick to pull off Eoin Downey to avoid a second yellow and Stack didnā€™t see the Dalton incident, so they got away with that one. But Coleman threw the hurley at Hego while on a yellow card, Stack went across to book him, took out the notebook and then bottled it when he saw it was someone he already booked. Just an incredibly stupid thing to do when on a yellow card, and it would have cost them the game again. They took him off pretty much instantly after that but they now have a real chance to go through if they beat Tipp, they cannot afford another red card. Bring fight and work rate, just have to know where the line is.

Still, the likes of Brian Hayes played better than I thought he was capable of. Fitzgibbon caused his usual havoc finding those pockets of space. Harnedy was definitely MotM for me though, I thought he was unbelievable. We didnā€™t test the half-back line enough defensively. Full-back line is definitely there to be got at and not comfortable on the ball at all. If we had reacted quicker to shut off the long puckout, I think we had more than enough to win. Just a little bit slow to sort it out on the pitchā€¦

26 Likes

Good call on Adam English - heā€™s worth a try at 15. Heā€™s capable of hitting 4/5 from play if he gets good service.

Great post but what.

Couldnā€™t praise the winning team, caveats all over the shop

The Cork lads are very defensive about their hurlers, like they know them personally. Itā€™s only a bit of banterā€¦ The neediness here is off the charts

3 Likes

Touched a nerve, didnā€™t realise what thread I was in :grinning:

A fuckwit once said that itā€™s bizzare to take too much investment in celebrating players they donā€™t know achievements :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Every person born in Cork is best buds with Hoggie, Fitzy, Deccie and co.

2 Likes

Cahalane got a 2nd yellow against Waterford (possibly harsh), SOD got a 2nd yellow against Clare (stupid, right in front of the referee) and Coleman committed a 2nd yellow offence yesterday, Stack was on the way to book him, took the notebook out, then put it back into his pocket when he realised who it was. It would have ruined the game, so itā€™s good he didnā€™t do it, but it was terrible decision-making by Coleman (like it was from CON, Byrnes, Kyle in the last play). And Dalton was lucky although Iā€™ll give him credit for doing it when he knew the linesman wasnā€™t looking. Again, would have ruined what was an excellent game.

Like Gillane or Condon in 2018, they just need to learn where the edge is. If they get a red card against Tipp, it will make their job a lot more difficult and obviously Ryan was a lot more conscious of it when he took Downey off very very early.