Limerick GAA 2023-2024.... 5 in a row is not here

A radiographer would have to work all sorts of shifts. Wouldnā€™t suit an inter county hurler.

1 Like

He definitely gone to Verizon alright, heard that from another radiographer.

Panel gone away abroad again this week/weekend?

Theyā€™re gone out to the Sandy Lane in Barbados to put the feet up.

Killarney most likely, definitely not abroad anyway.

What are the thoughts on Cork?

We will need to perform for the whole game tk get a result imo. And defensively they will test limerick like no other team in the competition.

Shane Barrett is the obvious man to tie down on their side.

1 Like

Theyā€™ll be dangerous but still gave up over 20 scores to an average and misfiring Dublin side yesterday. Offaly put 3-19 on them. Theyā€™ll cough it up as quickly as rack it up and Limerick will not be as forgiving as the other two.

Cork seem to have stagnated a bit since the round robin game in PUC whilst Limerick have upped it around 20% and I would expect further improvement on Sunday week. No team has beaten Limerick twice in the same season under John Kiely. I donā€™t expect that to change.

4 Likes

Cork are not a bad team but they are not nearly as good as Limerick.

Limerick will stick to their principles and at some point score 6 or 7 times on the trot. Limerick are just too good for them.

Cork have convinced themselves that lads what weā€™re way off it 3 years ago are a lot better now. Canā€™t see it.

2 Likes

I think the wind was sucked out of corks sails by limericks Munster final performance.

Team selection interesting - few huge calls to make

Will DOD come back in?
Finn or Casey?
Lynch back to 11?
CON to 15?
SOB or Flanagan?

Quaid

Finn Morrissey Nash
Byrnes Hannon Hayes
DOD WOD
Hegarty CON Tom M
Gillane Flanagan Lynch

SOB, Adam English, David Reidy to come in

Canā€™t see him going for Finn over Casey. Casey has had a cracking year

3 Likes

It will be the same team as the Munster Final. No way that Reidy or SOB will be left off. Cian Lynch is in more danger than those two but that wonā€™t happen either.

1 Like

Have to agree.

Yeah Casey has been excellent but the likelihood is we will need Finnā€™s speed against corks inside line.

Lynch has not really been going that well at midfield and CON is not a natural midfielder either. This is the area we were well beaten in P Ui Chaoimh.

DOD brings an awful lot to the position in terms of distribution and workrate. Iā€™d like to see him start if heā€™s fit.

Reidy has done well - but heā€™s the one most at risk imo. Heā€™s the type of player Niall o Leary would prefer as he likes to drift out the field to pick up the 15.

Maybe thereā€™s a scenario where Flanagan, Sob and Gillane all play together with SOB 15.

1 Like

Lynch was given the role of protecting Byrnes on the puck out after the Cork game in the round robin. A DOD return would release Lynch back to centre forward but Iā€™m not so sure how match fit DOD is

1 Like

Who are these players out of curiosity

Itā€™ll be interesting to see what Cork do on puckouts. Obviously they obliterated us in the first half in the round robin game but, in fairness, we did quite well when we had the wind.

I think weā€™ve coped better with the really long ones in the games since but it did seem as though Cork had a lot more planning done than the others in how they positioned themselves, how they contested and how they attacked the breaks.

So itā€™ll be interesting to see if they try the same again or whether they go for something different.

I think the second half showed that if we can even break even on puckouts, we probably have enough to win but if they are able to win the ball deep in our half, they have loads of runners and fellas who can score plus a goal threat.

You would be hopeful that we have learned from the first game and are ready for a few variations too.

As for selection, Iā€™d love to see DOD back but probably a very hard call to make after the last day and there would have to be concerns over match fitness if nothing else.

I donā€™t really see Flanagan & SOB both starting, could lead to space being clogged where weā€™re trying to create it unless youā€™d back one of them to play more like Casey but I just donā€™t see it. Thatā€™s a huge call too. In a good way though, I think weā€™ll have serious options from the bench.

2 Likes

Darragh will have been back for 7/8 weeks by then.

Iā€™d be shocked if Flanagan doesnā€™t start ahead of o Brien tbh.

If dod starts and itā€™s unlikely Iā€™d imagine I reckon itā€™s Cathal o Neill who loses out.

Reidy and Lynch are much more mobile and we will want cover for our half back line.

O Neill is as poor lto and he isnā€™t the quickest of players.