Limerick GAA 2023-2024.... 5 in a row is not here

A friend of mine found an envelope with four tickets in it on O’Connell Street on all Ireland final day a few years ago. Nothing to see nearby and no names on it. Walked up to croke park and left it at reception, they said they’d no way of finding whose they were and he should probably use them. He said see if they turn up but left his number in case they didn’t. He got a call the following day from the man who lost them who was up with his small son and two nephews who couldn’t thank him enough.

20 Likes

I lost my ticket in a taxi in 2018. Lucky the man who gave it to me knew the seat number and what not. A chap got ejected after using my ticket while I got it reprinted again in some office around croke park.

3 Likes

Big win for the @balbec’s Intermediates against Bruree.

1 Like

Fair shooting at that grade. Bruree can store up their resentment for another while

Richie Cian and Graham cut lonely figures down the subs bench.

O’Reilly was on the beach last day too I think. Is Shane O Brien injured? Or just dropped from 26?

C O’Neill lucky to keep his place. He coughed up 5 very poor turnovers against Cork that resulted in 0-04. He really needs to tighten up his play.

1 Like

Flaherty is going to get someone killed with his reffing soon. Hypothetically speaking, is there any recourse for teams if a ref just invents a new rule & applies it in a match?

1 Like

I’d imagine he’d have to make some reference to it in his match report before you’d have an angle to challenge the match result

Barry Murphy injured or dropped of the panel?

What did he do now?? I can except a fella being bad and there being no badness in him but Flaherty is brutal with an attitude to go with it.

1 Like

Black card & penalty in a club game. Which wasn’t even inside the 21 (or D).

Reffing is a really difficult job, I have a lot of sympathy for them. And they’ll miss fouls, they’ll blow for ones that aren’t fouls, they’ll miss wides & scores at that times.

But I feel like you need a cool head and he’s way too confrontational right from the first whistle.

And like, you really should know the rules. I’d forgive most other things. He is by far and away the worst ref in Limerick.

He has a bit of competition!

As you say, it’s a very difficult job. Once a lad has a good manner with players, and is genuinely trying to do his best then you can’t have any complaints.

I think the top refs in the county - Stapleton, Mike Sexton, Dave Deady, Hayes, even Johnny at club level - are all decent and communicate with players and there’s a bit of respect both ways in that scenario. There’ll be no bollocks acting generally.

There’s less than a handful I actively dread seeing appointed to our club matches. You know anything could happen which is never a good place.

1 Like

We’ve got some fine refs in Limerick, in fairness.

And I don’t even mind a few of the less good refs who at least have a decent attitude.

There are a few outliers though: KF, JPK, MB… You just don’t know what they’re going to do.

1 Like

JPK has to be the worst. Cannot hold his head and liable to do absolutely anything.

1 Like

McEneaney used to praised for it

Spike got rid of him last year, don’t know if he’s back this year.

He is

1 Like

Was at a junior B match or u21 match in Mick Neville a few years back. Miserable night in the middle of winter.

It was knockout and inevitably came down to the last couple of mins. It was either level or a point in it. Anyway the bould Mike Mann was reffing it. Game was in the melting point and there was an absolute blatant line ball to us. Clear as day to anyone in attendance. The crowd start going buck ape. ‘ffs, open your eyes etc.’

There was no lineman obviously, only two lads from either club holding the flag. The bould Mike saunters over, winks at the irate crowd and goes ‘I’d a great view of it from 50 yards away, we’ll stick with my decision.’

You could only laugh. :smile:

2 Likes