Limerick GAA 2023-2024.... 5 in a row is not here

Flanagan is a unique player. His ability to make those selfless runs to create space for his team mates are very difficult to teach.

1 Like

Waffle

Itā€™s trained into the chap.

Donā€™t think so. Thereā€™s a process/system whether you like it or not. Its drilled into him. Gillane is the finisher and his job is to make space for him. Granted thereā€™s the odd time where heā€™ll find himself in a better position but he"s the worker

Oh thereā€™s system alright but he can identify space like very few players can. Never once does he get in the way and nearly always he times it to absolute perfection. He understands the role perfectly. I still think if we had him right in 2019 weā€™d have won the all Ireland.

If you watch back The 2018 games he was used a lot more to win balls and find players running from deep. A prime example being lynch goal v cork in the 2018 semi final.

You will go a long time trying to replace him.

1 Like

ye are moving along well enough without Sean Finn and Cian Lynch! is anyone irreplaceable !?

My own view is that Nicky Quaid and Gillane are the two that Limerick would struggle most without

Hannon is the key link in the chain

2 Likes

What played would you compare to Flanagan past or present ? I just think he has a very unique set of qualities which improve Limerick so much.

Of course itā€™s taught but not many others could do it to his level. It would be taught into other forwards but it doesnā€™t work to the same effectiveness. Flanagan and Gillane have that chemistry at this stage that is impossible to replicate.

I guess you could try and teach some players till youā€™re blue in the face and they wouldnā€™t grasp it.

Gillane is absolutely phenomenal but he leaves so many goals behind him by aiming high as opposed to going low.

1 Like

Cheers :+1:t2::+1:t2:

1 Like

In fairness, I think with that chance, he wouldā€™ve been hooked for trying to go low. The hurley wouldā€™ve had a downward motion and would have been very hard not to be hooked by Ryan in that circumstance. He realised how close behind Ryan was so he had to swing the hurley up if he was to shoot. Another option is keep going and bat it but he wouldā€™ve been closed down I reckon

2 Likes

Fair enough think some suggest heā€™s a shoulder issue as well but his finishing can be frustrating

It certainly can be. He does have a habit of going high all the same. Whenever he goes for bounce off the ground itā€™s usually unstoppable.

From the top of my head, he got goals like that against Cork and Tipp last year as well as yesterday. Hegarty is the only one who it should be acceptable to go high because he just has such ferocious power

26 Likes

Weā€™ve hardly been at full strength since the 2021 Final.

1 Like

Theyā€™d make a lovely calendar

Gillane has the most iconic celebration in world sport.

3 Likes

Right then. What was the yellow card for?

4 Likes

Cormac Bonner