Limerick GAA 2023-2024.... 5 in a row is not here

De la Salle beat them that day…2008 i think.

Ya he got an Awful run with injuries for the first few years. He seems to always miss the league or a vital bit of training coming into championship and it really hindered him.

Did he come on v Tipp in 2012? Got a lovely point under the far stand in Thurles.

Maybe there were other factors but I thought the move of Kyle to six and Coughlan to wing back led to two things last weekend. The ball into Gillane seemed to completely dried up and David Fitzgerald got in a heap of ball after being fairly subdued up to that point.

Moving Dan to the half backline would be a better move but tough to move him out of 3.

It’s possible moving Dan to 6 is more likely from the start but moving him mid game is never good.

You are correct the ball into gillane dried up but players were tired and particularly gillane too. A lot of factors at play.

I don’t think Galway are anywhere as well coached as Clare either if it is Galway.

My choices would be Nash, Dan, Connolly/Kyle in that order.

There are more left-field options available but a big risk doing that before an AI semi-final. Obviously none of those are ideal, you lose something in all of them but there’s nothing that can be done about that - the best 6 in the country is always going to be a loss.

1 Like

He scored like an old school 21 with a heap of lads on the line didn’t he ?

1 Like

An incorrect statement by me!

Twas 2009 v Newtown I was thinking off. He got a goal that day. It went to extra time I’d say.

2 Likes

It was 2009 he scored around 1-14 against Newtownshandrum in a Munster Club Hurling Semi Final as a 17 year old.

The way I would read it as well.

1-13 v Newtown in 2009. 1-9 from frees.

That was a great Munster Club that year.

Newtown came to Thurles and beat Thurles Sarsfields in the Quarter Final. An 18 year old Denis Maher scored 6 from play for Thurles.

The last year you could get away with no helmets. Padraic Maher and Pa Bourke ditched them for the last few minutes.

Newtown beat Ballygunner then in the final. A great game too where Ballygunner mixed the old guard like Fergal Hartley and Paul Flynn with 18 year olds Soky & Philip Mahony and a 17 year old Pauric Mahony.

1 Like

Coughlan is a big step down. Not comfortable on the ball. Hayes would be an excellent centre back but you are taking a lot away on the attacking platform side. But whatever way you rejig it we will be weaker somewhere without him

1 Like

He was touted early doors as a serious prospect. I vaguely remember seeing him in a challenge game at maybe under 14s and didn’t think he was great but I distinctly remembered after the game our manager waxing lyrical about him to a couple of parents.

If we win it from here it will drive the usual suspects demented

3 Likes

I reckon Kyle to 6, English to 4, and Nash to 7 is the most solid option overall

1 Like

Was it 2019 Nash last played 6 under kiely ?

How that Thurles team never won an all ireland club is beyond me. That Kilcormac loss was criminal.

2 Likes

That would be a great quiz question. Who was the last ever player to play a senior hurling match without a helmet?