Limerick GAA 2023 - League champions means nothing now šŸ

Final score: Limerick 1-14 Cork 0-20

It can be hard to tell sometimes when you are sheltered in the stand, but judging from the flags behind the goal, that was a very strong wind and Limerick needed much more of a lead at half-time to win this game. Puckouts were just landing shorter, they couldnā€™t really shoot from distance and just had to work that bit harder to stop Cork.

I do think it was an even enough game, but Cork did better against the wind. Limerick had the chances though, missed a few handy frees which youā€™d think would have got us a draw at least (a draw being all we needed). As it is, weā€™ll travel to Ennis for the Munster semi-final. A little fucked over on the score difference having had to play against Waterford in absolutely septic conditions where neither side got more than 7 points. But look, weā€™re still in it, have beaten Clare already and would definitely fancy them against Cork if they were to play again.

Diarmuid Lyons was Limerickā€™s standout player for me, won a lot of really good ball. Oā€™Farrell & Boddy on the wings both scored 3 from play and were busy. Ferland had a quieter game, but took his goal very well, created excellently by Flanagan from Garryspillane, a lovely pick-up in the corner under pressure. Flanagan is a handful but maybe slightly unorthodox. He works hard and gets around but his hurling is a bit awkward in tight spaces. Kearney was lively inside for a 16-year-old but maybe was left lacking support.

Brian Lynch for Cork has some paw, he dominated aerially over his marker and Zack Biggane at 11 & Barry Walsh at 12 were both able to pick off scores very well.

Limerick did work very hard, turned Cork over a lot and created chances but maybe dropped too deep at times. The link-up play, running off the shoulder, etc; all that was good, they made some passes stick in tight areas that some senior hurlers wouldnā€™t make. But then, at other times, they made wrong decisions; we put a lot of high ball into Kearney, when he would have roasted the Cork full-back if the ball was into space. We also left him isolated, if we got Collopy or Flanagan in around him, I think we could have got more joy.

Did get blocked down striking while standing a good few times; now so did Cork, maybe thatā€™s just going to happen when itā€™s 16/17-year-olds playing. Generally, the skill levels were very good.

Final note, Fraggy Murphy is a bit of an ape. I get that heā€™s passionate & wants to win but he was roaring & bawling at the ref and at 16-year-olds for the full hourā€¦ I have no issues with roaring on your team (I do it myself) but he was straying towards the abusive side.

8 Likes

Clare mightnā€™t be too bad.

Hego wont be dropped if Flanagan is suspended. It was obvious on Sunday Kiely doesnt trust his subs.

How do you make that out?

Despite being beaten in most positions he waited until 60 minutes to bring on Oā€™Neill and it was heading into injury time when Reidy and Boylan were on.

Last year he had Casey/Lynch ready to go a lot earlier against Galway.

Thats the difference.

15 against 14 is always going to alter a game plan

Iā€™m expecting a massive performance from Clare on Saturday night. They always up it against Limerick. After their loss in Ennis on Sunday - Iā€™m expecting them to throw everything at Limerick on Saturday night. Really looking forward to it. Has the makings of a cracking game.

1 Like

I reckon the likes of Coughlan and O Dalaigh could get a run on Saturday. If itā€™s not going well for a player at all Kiely would be ruthless enough to bring him off. The depth is there to use the bench

The champions are vulnerable. After 17 games unbeaten in the championship the record could well go this weekend.

2 Likes

A lot will depend on the flannagan situation. Even if Flannagan gets off, he still has to tinker somewhat between 8 and 15. Hannons injury meant this was always going to be the case

Iā€™d not rule out G. Mul to be on the pitch on Saturday. I canā€™t see why he was among the subs on Sunday but for heā€™s motoring well. Iā€™d argue there is extreme loyalty there too. His scoring has disappeared but he is a terrific team player. Likely sub on at some point.

Clareā€™s fullback line is surely going to be vulnerable and the tight GG pitch would perhaps suit having Kyle as the out ball with AG.

If Flanagan misses out, Iā€™m not sure who LK have for inside. Unless they go with Kyle inside( eg. Cork 2022) and let Casey, Lynch, Morrissey and Hego outside. That would then mean Dan to 6. Coughlan in at 7 and P Casey starting. I
Outside chance of Nash at left wing back and English in.

Shane Oā€™Brien will miss out on 26 again due to 20s.

1 Like

What was Hannonā€™s injury lads? And is it expected to keep him out this weekend / for long?

Groin. A month they said which would rule him out of the Tipp game also

1 Like

I thought it was a very good contest myself. Limerick defenders were more comfortable on the ball than Corkā€™s - Cork defenders coughed up a lot of cheap scores but youā€™ll get a lot of that with young lads.

Both sides competed very well for dropping ball and dirty ruck ball on the ground.

As the table suggests, I think thereā€™s very little to seperate Cork, Limerick and Clare. Iā€™d have a slight fancy for Clare to win it.

Youā€™d have to say that Clare will never get a better chance.

No matter how bad Clare are going they will up it for limerick. they have no choice but to throw the kitchen sink at usā€¦expecting a titanic battleā€¦

Clare goalie was the reason they lost to Tipp so they are not that far off it. and I doubt he will play as bad two games in a row.

Theyā€™ll give it a rattle but Limerick will turn them over handy enough.

Itā€™ll be a totally different type of game. In the 4 championship meetings since and including 2019, Limerick have scored 3 goals. In 3 of those meetings, Tony Kelly was given the freedom of park. With Hannom out Iā€™m not sure Limerick can afford to give him that luxury on Saturday

1 Like

They have no choice but to give it a rattle. I think they genuinely thought theyā€™d beat Tipp and might have been prepared to sacrafice (if thatā€™s the right term) the Limerick game in the sense that they would give it a shot but not empty the tank. As the possible suspension of Flannagan and Hannons injury may have forced Limerick to approach this game differently, I suspect Clares defeat to Tipp has left them with an even bigger conundrum then they were hoping for.

I could still see Clare going through despite losing their first two games. Theyā€™re better than Cork and Waterford and Limerick is their only real ā€˜awayā€™ game.

Possibly. If they were to lose to limerick, I suspect it would have to be by about 6 or less. A double digit defeat could leave them chasing a minimum of a 15 point defecit and possibly needing a favour from Limerick in at least 1 or 2 of their final games.