Limerick GAA - All-Ireland senior hurling champions 2018

Was just talking to the father there. Himself and the mother are in Malta. He said that in an interview after the match, KiEly implied that Hannon got a dig

Heard it all before.

Itā€™s a mighty team, Iā€™ve more time for them than ever after last night,
Itā€™s lads who canā€™t enjoy them and are denying the most blatant fouls would have you scratching your head though

2 Likes

Say nothing til you hear more

I canā€™t see if anyone answered you pal, Lynch/Hayes ran into Ellis after he hit the ball, free given for the late challenge.

Correctly

I think we are on a similar footing to Cork. Very different sides but both very capable. Not getting ahead of myself like most Limerick people, next week is huge, like all counties it is game by game. You enjoy it last night? A super stadium for a game now.

4 Likes

It was Kyle I think.

Limerick a bit ahead on last nights evidence, I think the runner up this year played last night

Kiely was asked for a comment on deccie and said he had none. The incident he commented on was a dig on English whoā€™s ribs are apparently in shit.

I donā€™t rate pay Horgan too highly but he done something very similar to Gillane in 2013 when he got sent off. Itā€™s always tough to take but heā€™s come back a much better player. Gillane needs to focus on this.

You donā€™t rate Horgan?

Heā€™s one of the most dangerous forwards in the country with the last 10 years and you donā€™t rate him?

He has almost singlehandly carried corks scores for some of that 10 years when they were in a lull.

3 Likes

Will Gillane miss one game or two ?

Youā€™ll miss loads when you land up inside in cork jail you hooligan. :grinning::grinning::grinning:

Just the one Iā€™d imagine.

A thatā€™s it so.

Iā€™ll be banned from every GAA ground by the time Iā€™m 25 :laughing::laughing:

1 Like

Ah lads, it was an exciting game for sure, great atmosphere & good support from both sides.

Iā€™ll start with the negatives:

Gillaneā€™s red card. Stupid. Iā€™m all for getting stuck into your man, and a few sly digs but there was nothing sly about that. Blatant, right in front of the linesmanā€¦ probably would have got away with the first one, but then had another go. So silly. He was probably the quietest of our forwards up to that point, but you canā€™t afford to vent your frustrations 20 minutes in.

Hannon. Please God let him be okay.

We were a bit too loose, particularly in the first half. Played into Corkā€™s hands tbh. Did choke the space a bit more in the second half, and forced a lot of turnovers and it was nearly enough. A ridiculously high-scoring game, frenetic pace but we didnā€™t cope as well with the movement as Iā€™d have hoped. A lesson learned.

Probably only created one goalscoring chance, the one for Pat Ryan. The Cork full-back line were there for the taking, disappointed Flanagan didnā€™t put the head down once or twice.

And not seeing out the victory when three points up with a few minutes to go. Cork reeled off a couple of points in a row. Obviously they were tired, but we had the upper hand. I think Flanagan going off was a slight turning point, he had Cahalane bate up a stick and the scores just didnā€™t flow as easily after.

They are all things to work on, but of course, there were so many positives too.

This team do not know when theyā€™re beaten. It would have been easy to let their heads drop after the red card, but they come out fighting and were the better team from that point on. They fought & fought, and I think they will be disappointed not to have won in the circumstances.

The forwards worked so hard. The amount of running Flanagan and Mulcahy did closing the puckouts was unbelievable, Flanagan literally ran himself into the ground. Half-forwards too, made lots of tackles in that second half and disrupted Corkā€™s half-back line as we hoped. Kyle & Hegarty won some great puckouts too.

And scoring. I always said that Flanagan is a forward who will rack up scores if he operates in the full-forward line and he did that last night. He was scarily effective, in fact- pace, power, stickwork. A couple of blips along the way but that was the delivery of a performance in Championship that he was making earlier in the year. Tom Morrissey aswell, unbelievable. Scored some brilliant points and took over the freetaking without any hiccups. Some awful eejits around the county gave himself and his brother some awful abuse and I hope they are man enough to admit they were wrong. He was class.

Dan was superb too, probably better at centre-back than he is on the wing. Delivers nice ball and opened up the shoulders for a monster score too.

Cian Lynch is sheer class, thatā€™s the level of performance we expect from him. Showed great leadership and his ability to get on the ball in tight situations is incredible. While DOD didnā€™t manage to keep Fitzgibbon scoreless, he did a job, and scored two lovely points as well as getting through a lot of work.

I thought Nickieā€™s puck-outs were, again, in general, very good. I was right behind him in the second half and a couple of the ones that malfunctioned were down to poor runs from the forwards. In general, we have a very definite puckout plan in place and it works.

The block by Finn on Harnedy at the end, donā€™t think he had any right to make that. Incredible.

Still not sure what the free in that Owens called after it looked like the ball went wide was for? Owens did bottle sending SOD off, although the first yellow looked harsh.

And the score by Kyle at the endā€¦ had hit a couple of bad wides, but had the balls to take on the score when it fell his way and he did it. Very fucking proud. Thought he was huge out there, the amount of ball he turned over or disrupted was incredible, and tagged on two scores too (with the help of Anthony Nash).

10 Likes

Youā€™ll be up in the portlaois with the kinihanes and dundons. It starts with flares, next progression is petrol bombs

I think the minor match is being overlooked because the main event was a cracker and had loads of incident and talking points.

That was a mighty win for an u17 down there. Itā€™s hard for these young lads to win away from home and we bate them handy.

The Limerick centre back was very good. As were Kirby, hegarty and Oā€™Neill. The goalie is very composed. Bob Purcell is some size for u17 but the cork full back bate him for every ball. Coughlan is a lovely hurler but has a very lazy style about him. Looks to be not trying. Got a monster point to be fair to him.

1 Like