Limerick GAA - All-Ireland senior hurling champions 2018

Assuming Hannon is out next week who fills in at 6?

Dan.

I wouldn’t rate him anywhere near a Henry shufflin or joe canning

Same as last night you’d imagine. Dan Morrissey to move inside and WOD to the wing. Can’t see them throwing in Paddy O’Loughlin who wasn’t even named on the bench last night.

Said it before but the half backline is the one line on the pitch where we are a bit light for options. Hopefully Dec will be ok, hurling is only secondary if it’s the old issue again. Hopefully he’ll be fine, great lad. Joe is a good man too.

WOD And Barry Murphy both in next week you’d imagine. Possiblely another change to keep things fresh.

Not Nicky?

I think we have decent options up front. Heggo and Hayes are outstanding hurlers but not natural forwards. I wouldnt dismiss putting Kyle at 6 with Dan and Byrnes. Put the ball out on those 3 at your peril

Kyle is our most important forward. He’s only coming into form now.

1 Like

Beat Waterford and into a Munster minor final.

Beat Waterford and should have enough to get top three and get out of the province at senior.

Would have taken this scenario a few weeks ago. Don’t want it to go down to Ennis.

He has been hurling well for months. If Hannon is out I think he is the natural choice for 6 as he is our best player but crucially has the athletic ability to recover back which the alternatives wouldnt have that atlethic range. I think we have more options up front. Our target shouldn’t be Munster but a team to beat Galway

2 Likes

What went wrong for the goal? Looks like Horgan drifted out the field and nobody followed him.

And what is the situation with Dowling? Kiely has fairly backed Gillane and tom m with frees. Likewise Byrnes has been outstanding with the long range ones.

I don’t know. Best guess is that KiEly is picking and subbing purely on training form

None of the subs really made the impact they have been making. Murphy won a free I think that’s about it.

Horgan has developed into the complete player the last couple years. No selfishness in his game any more, he is reliable and he stands up and is a leader. Super player. Very clever for the goal. He came out to take the free initially then stayed outside after hitting it, then slowly drifted in along the line with no limerick player noticing to pick him up.

4 Likes

Mike Casey was a little lucky to win that free out for the Byrnes point.

He was very clever in winning it .

Was in the Blackrock end yesterday. Busing back from cork now. Looking forward to rewatching the match but not til tomorrow as I will be bananas this evening.

I was quietly confident of a win going down but seeing the size of the home support my confidence dipped a bit. To come out with a draw without your freetaker and centre back and a man down for 50 minutes is huge. New full back and new centre back too.

This is a great fucking team. Don’t have as many star players as cork I think but are greater than the sum of their parts. Tom Morrissey really stepped up yesterday, after that performance he will be 6 inches taller the next day. Dan too. Thought it was the best English has been since he played u21. DOD was good, did more in the first 15 than he did in the whole tipp game.

What a performance from Flanagan. You could see his confidence grow in the space of 20 minutes. Cork very slow to switch Spillane onto him. Cahalane looked a different player after Flanagan went off and he commanded his area after that. Flanagan is still very raw but that should bring him on a huge amount. I thought Hayes was quiet and would have taken him.off before Hegarty.

The most exciting part is there is clearly more to come from this team. We have yet to see Gillane Flanagan and Casey in the full forward line which could be immense.

Edit: I hope to fuck Hannon is ok. WOD will force his way into this team before the year is out.

5 Likes

On Dowling, I’ve heard he’s going well in training. I’ve no doubt he will be bulling he hasn’t gotten a run. My fear was that Kiely didnt fancy him and was only carrying him as the back up free taker in case anything happened Gillane. But against that he played a full 70 all the games last year. Dowling is more mobile than he gets credit for but down a man in the forwards it made sense not to bring him on, more mobile pacey players needed. I hope he gets a good run the next day and creates a headache for Kiely on whether to start him, a good problem to have. I still think we are missing that bit of cutting edge or player that can make a bit of magic happen up front, though Gillane Flanagan Casey may hit that level yet.

1 Like

Jesus, whatever about in general, yesterday was not a game for Dowling. The amount of running our forwards needed to do was absolutely sick.

Both Morrissey brothers really turned up last night. They’ve been good all year, but both were outstanding last night.

5 Likes