Limerick GAA - All-Ireland senior hurling champions 2018

Who else were they missing today besides DeBurca and Coughlan?

North terrace sold out already

Two fives gone basically. I havenā€™t had a chance to look but from last years 2-7 only Noel o Connors was in the same position as last year. Gleeson and brick were forwards last year.

Donovan was outstanding. Has had two games in a row now where he has gotten on a world of ball.

1 Like

Yes over the course of the three games he has probably been the player Iā€™ve been most impressed by. He is absolutely outstanding in his role. His positional sense is brilliant, engine, great skill and gets stuck in. A very complete player. He complements Lynch brilliantly and screens the half back line too.

2 Likes

Lads weā€™ll talk tomorrow but that was WOW. Lynch MOTM mans a genius.
De Burca is the cornerstone of that Waterford team and they are poor without him. Some regression from last year though. Throwing the league not looking too smart now. McGrath will probably go?

A strange enough feeling. Even after an excellent display Iā€™m a bit muted. Clare winning has knocked the wind out of my sails. Still delighted to have secured top three with a game to go but a Munster final place would have been a nice bonus. Ennis is just a horrible, horrible place to go. Likewise Cusack Park. Always have an ominous feeling going there. Thankfully those in the camp will have a different mindset and expect to go there and win.

Everything just has gone against Waterford this year. Dogged by injuries, withdrawals, fatigue and general bad luck in recent weeks. A good time to play them today. Theyā€™ll be back.

A clinical, professional display to swat them aside, all the same. Put the game to bed and held them off comfortably in the second half. Posted another big tally while leaving about another 2-08 behind us. Never seen a Limerick side create so many chances regularly.

The Dow looked sharp, nailed all the frees and looked a threat in open play. Different players playing well every day. The only constant is a savage, almost demonic work rate. Crazy amount of hooks and blocks. Hayes chased Gleeson about 50 yards at one stage in the first half and dispossessed him with a delightful flick.

5 points from 6 and generally looking a half decent side who know what they are it. Fit, organised, committed and well up for a scrap. Most of these lads went down to Ennis three years in the Munster u-21 final in a hostile environment and won. Theyā€™ll need to even surpass that next week. Not a disaster if we are beaten but a provincial final spot would be lovely.

JK, Kinnerk, Oā€™Connor, Quilty and Geary have done a serious job making us a respectable team again. Delighted with the way we are playing - and the results - but the thought of going there next week and needing a result fills me with dread.

Anyway onwards and upwards. We have got our self respect back. Yurt, Luimneach abu.

4 Likes

That central axis of hannon, o donovan, Lynch and Kyle hayes is something else. It has absolutely everything youā€™d want.

Gleeson was centre-back throughout. Kyle was mostly centre-forward but there was was plenty of movement in the Limerick forwards today.

Iā€™m of the mindset this team would be better off losing in Ennis next week. Let Cork and Clare duke out the Munster final, with the winner having to sit out for four weeks until the semi final. In the meantime we can tip away by beating Westmeath or Carlow before playing Kilkenny or Galway in the quarter finals coming in as underdogs again after our loss to Clare.

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t be surprised to see Dowling win the MOTM, Hayes was brilliant as well as was Lynch,
Very solid team performance though, every player won their battle comfortably Iā€™d say

I doubt theyā€™ll be a MOTM seeing as it wasnā€™t on TV

Itā€™s either Carlow or Westmeath in the preliminary quarter final. If we were to win that weā€™d be facing Kilkenny in a quarter final a week later. Not sure then if weā€™d be facing the Leinster or Munster champions at the semi final stage then.

I think the way itā€™s set up is if a 3rd placed team in either of the provinces makes a semi final, theyā€™re playing their own provincial champions there.

All that effort and we are still basically in a Munster semi :sweat_smile:

1 Like

The Dow hit 0-15 (0-13 frees). :astonished:

Didnā€™t seem like that watching it. When he was pulled back for the goal chance, it was a terrific catch initially. Ref should have played on, heā€™d have buried it the way he was playing. Canā€™t see him being left out next week now. Gillane and Casey have some task to force their way back in now.

Thought Oā€™Donovan was MOTM. When the game was there to be won in the first half he dictated proceedings. Himself and Lynch are a terrific partnership. Right amount of skill, positional sense, distribution, covering, score taking and a bit of much needed dirt thrown in for good measure.

Our use of possession is very good generally. Frustrating when it breaks down and costs us scores but it works far more often than not.

Flanagan is some yoke.

1 Like

Tom Morrissey destroyed the Brick today especially in the first half outstanding he was O Donovan Lynch Flanagan and the entire FB were all excellent also. Kyle Hayes while final options couldnā€™t have been better totally dominated Gleeson also

Dowlings first shot from out on the sideline canā€™t have been more than an inch wide, I was right behind it and it looked like a poInt all day, would have been a superb score, lucky he had a very handy free almost immediately, he worked very hard though, broke his balls one time to put a ball out for a defensive sideline instead of letting it out wide, played a couple of clever passes that could have led to goals, just something different, I donā€™t think heā€™ll be left out again, itā€™s probably unlikely that thereā€™ll be full strength to pick from in most games so theyā€™ll find a way

Brick stood too far off him all day, Morrissey was like a free man half the time