Limerick GAA - All-Ireland senior hurling champions 2018

It was a great call. Losing that Clare game made our year.

1 Like

Bringing on your sub full-back for the best hurler in the country would suggest we weren’t too bothered tbf.

1 Like

Did Ronan Lynch leave the panel?

He didn’t make the final 36 for Championship.

Unfortunately nobody had 2 and sixpence handy

1 Like

Tough on the lad. He was some prospect as a minor. Shows the depth Limerick have.

As an aside J was absolutely delighted to see an old school hurler like Richie McCarthy win an All Ireland on the field of play.

4 Likes

Was brilliant for the 21s last year, form seemed to dip on the club run with Na P. Change of manager with Na P will help him a lot. Still suffering from not being in a fixed position I think. He’ll be back at some stage, too talented not to be I think.

He’s still young; still plenty of time, if he focuses on being a wing-back. Na Piarsaigh’s run really hurt the chances of the likes of him moreso than players who would have been playing last year like the Caseys & Dowling.

Richie is still a good squad player to have; we’re not flush with backup in the full-back line; if he were to retire, the squad would be hurt.

Hopefully himself and a few others come in and really challenge next year - need to keep it ticking over.

The fact that himself and Condon, who was the man carrying the ball out when the whistle went, won their medals on the field, made it all the more special.

2 Likes

Condon couldnt contain himself and had to have a little clip off the Galway man just as the whistle went :grinning:

4 Likes

Yeah I noticed that on the 3rd or 4th viewing

1 Like

You could list 8/10 lads that are unlucky not to be involved in the 36
Ronan Lynch, Robbie Hanley are the ones that jump out. Adrian Brern, Tommy Grimes Alan Dempse of Na Piarsaigh. Darragh Fanning.The likes of Brian Ryan and O’Brien from Mungret to come on the scene.
If we keep our heads and drive on we could be there or there abouts for the next few years

1 Like

Some of those will be in, some of those aren’t good enough either.

I do think that were Condon, Hickey & Richie to retire; or even 2 of them, we’d be very short in the full-back line,

From his first to his potentially last action (which I had assumed would be jabbing David Reidy in the goolies) he has never changed. :rofl:

1 Like

Colin Ryan and maybe Ronan Lynch added to the panel; you’d have Hayes & Hegarty who I wouldn’t rule out being switched back either.

There’s a fair few quality players in what was either completely left out or got little or no game time this year. Casey, Dowling, Downes, Nash, Dempsey, Murphy, the two Ryans, Lynch, Hanley. Full-back line is probably the weakest for cover, assuming that some or all of Hickey, McCarthy and Condon will retire.

Edit - read it wrong, thought you said half back line.

1 Like

Damien Hayes was saying on Woolies podcast that the ref could have given a free in for that. Even though the ref had clearly blown the whistle. Some dumb thing to do all the same, but sure he is what he is.

as an aside, Damien Hayes was fucking atrocious in his analysis and commentary on that podcast. his stupid story about being Kyle Hayes cousin just summed him up.

In fairness to Ronan Lynch if he had that last free Canning had, he’d have stuck it.

1 Like

I listened to some of it – He was certain Byrnes got a point first half and I dont think he did? - He also didnt know Richie McCarty’s name and a few other noticeable mistakes also.

He was atrocious was adamant Byrnes scored in the first half that never happened😉