Limerick GAA - All-Ireland senior hurling champions 2018

What was the lowest point of the drought, lads?

The final losses were all gruesome in their own way but the semi final losses in ‘13 and ‘14 really cut me.

Lar Corbett lashing the ball into an empty net in ‘09 was awful too.

For me though I think the nadir was the loss to a shit enough Offaly team on a Thursday night in Thurles in 2003. We were a million miles off winning an All-Ireland. Just so demoralising. Scraping by Kerry around the same time was another real low point.

The strike year was devastating too, I didn’t go to the championship matches that year and only one or two in the league.

Thank God we were all alive to see last Sunday. All the bad memories banished.

3 Likes

The day Clare bate us in the Qualifers below in Ennis was a bad day.

1 Like

Yeah that was a particularly horrible day. 2006 I think it was with Brian Geary thrown in centre forward.

In recent times the 09 semi final was horrendous we were laughed out of Croke park that day by those Tipp cunts but deservedly so. 08 at home to Offaly, 06 in Ennis. 8 years in 1B was rotten too losing the promotion game to bobble head and the Dubs in 2013.

Offaly ‘08, Joe Bergin running amok. Had forgotten that one.

Losing to Tipp in 91 was bad.

I’ll take your word for it on that!

‘92 Munster final and the Mulcahy “goal” was a sickener too.

1 Like

Mullanes deflected goal off the helmet in injury time in 2011? I lost the plot in Thurles that day outside the stadium.

2010, everything about it was horrific.

Offaly in the GG 2008 was another rock bottom evening. The end of Richie’s reign.

1 Like

For me the 2002 loss to Tipp was a hammer blow. We had done so well the year before and I thought we were on the way forward.
They handed us our arses

Those cunts seemed to ruin us at every turn the last 25 years it was no wonder we felt a corner was turned this year after we annihilated them in Tullamore in front of an expectant home crowd.

3 Likes

I don’t remember it but surely 1994 was the worst?

In my lifetime, 2001 & 2013 were the worst. Because I believe both those sides were good enough to win in slightly different circumstances.

Obviously the likes of Clare 2006, Offaly 2008, Tipp 2009, all of 2010 were bad days but you know we weren’t quite that bad either.

Losing to Waterford in 1982 was the first time I’d seen Limerick lose in Munster in 3 years. I can still remember it clearly. Stopped in Lees?? was it in Newport on the way home and were home in time for Argentina v Belgium in the opening game of Espana 82.

It’s all undone now pal.

We’re All Ireland champions.

3 Likes

None of them matter a stones now lads. Except going through it made this week all the more enjoyable.

Cmaaaaaan

4 Likes

I suppose we can’t help ourselves with the misery stories but that’s all gone now!

1 Like

At long fucking last.

All those years walking out of Thurles and Dublin at the bottom all blown the fuck away by what happened this year

2 Likes

You would feel a little bit for the likes of Dodge, Jim-Bob, Gavin, etc. Fellas who drove us on in the bad days and are still probably good enough to be on the panel, just found it hard to go another year.

But the win is for the whole county, hearing Dodge’s commentary from the other day was class. Pure joy.