Limerick GAA - All-Ireland senior hurling champions 2018

Iā€™d love if tipp were gone. I think itā€™s very difficult to beat the same team twice in championship. Cork/Waterford last year, Galway/kk in 2012, Its very tough.

You could effectively beat them twice in Munster and lose to them in the AI final,thatā€™s a farce.

1 Like

Few handy frees for Hoggy. Twas all the kept tipp in touching distance

Corkā€™s pace around the middle third and in the forwards would worry me. Tippā€™s major problem in the forwards is a lack of cutting edge pace, all their best hurlers while not slow arenā€™t exactly lightning quick. Cork have players to cut teams open, which would concern me.

However, we are a very fit athletic and physical side who now play a clever brand of hurling. We work as hard if not harder than every other team. If itā€™s close will Cork match that when it really matters? I think there is more of ā€œthe dogā€ in us than them,willing to do the ugly stuff a bit more

1 Like

Weā€™ll see how good we are against cork anyway. Tipp were very poor, hard to know just yet how poor they were even. Cork are a good quality side that will legitimately be aiming to go one better than they did last year.

1 Like

Limerick will have to improve a good bit to beat cork . The Tipp performance wonā€™t do .

Agree.

Iā€™d agree with that. While we have a nice bit of pace and scoring potential too, there is nothing Cork would love more than a nice loose, open game like against Tipp last year or even the one in the 2014 Munster final. There was barely a tackle in the either game and with their pace, theyā€™d probably win.

We need to just constrict the space for their runners but the primary way to stop them is to make sure the ball going in isnā€™t high quality. Our half-forwards canā€™t give them room to breathe. We saw against Tipp that our backs will be win most ball if the delivery is disrupted.

How we deal with Lehane will be interesting too. Itā€™s another new test for Hannon at centre-back. Maybe similar to Cathal Mannion, who caused the serious damage in the first half of the League game but we tightened that up in the second. Midfield just dropped a little deeper and plugged the gaps, with Hannon holding the middle. Worked well.

Cork are truly a summer team and love the quick groundā€¦ While winning was huge for us the pace of the game was very slow and we kept Tipp in it with awful shooting/mistakes - needs to be cut outā€¦ As you say, Cork will drag us all over the place on a fine big pitch - what weā€™ll want is for what Tipp gave us, horrible ball bate in on top of their forwards. Thatā€™s where Hayes and Hego come in hopefullyā€¦ but midfield is going to be huge in this one, Cork love to work it through Kearney and Fitzgibbon - midfield was largely by-passed last day - Lynch and DOD + replacements will be key to winning this timeā€¦

People seem to seriously underestimate cork. They should by right have been in the AI final last year. I think they are a lovely side.

4 Likes

+1

I still think their defence is a worry but theyā€™ve more than enough to bate us on their day. 3 games on the bounce and the 6 day turn around is very tough on them tho.

I think theyā€™re quality. Look at where they finished last year, theyā€™ll legitimately be hoping to improve on that. They are coming from a much higher base than us.

I think people are overrating them. Clare should have been out of sight by half time. Not great aerially and it will be interesting to see how they deal with the ball Limerick play into the full forward line. Limerick by 6 pts.

Clare would be laden down with all Irelandā€™s if theyā€™d won the amount of games people keep saying they should have won in recent years.

Corks full back line is a lot better than what tipp out.

2 Likes

Do they have much outside their starting 15 tho? Kingston is way off the boil - Is Cadogan injured?

I donā€™t know, have we anyone with their ear to the ground in cork?

No.

They were saying Cadogan (Alan) was out for the entire provincial campaign. But you canā€™t trust Cork people.

Oā€™Flynn will presumably be out for at least 1 game but Oā€™Mahony is back. Not sure about Mickey Cahalane.

It will be their third week on the trot, whereas we will have had a break and two games to analyse them. Allied to that I would argue we have a stronger panel. On the form from last week youā€™d have to fancy Cork to beat Tipp, but with the caveat that we only saw the Tipp B team last week, a few adjustments should see them a bit stronger.

Cork were very easy on the eye last year but if Iā€™m honest the sweeter hurling last Sunday was played by Clare, only that they fucked away so many chances. On all evidence seen so far, we will do the same. This would be the big worry for me. The Cork defence was split clane open a good few times by Clare - we have the more physical runners like Hegarty & Hayes to fend off the covering challenges, but not the ability to put away the chances. Winning the frees in those scenarios would be crucial. At the other end, even if we keep Cork to scraps, they can keep the score-board ticking much easier. A big 50/50 call needs to be made a fullback too.

1 Like

Ok, okā€¦ Iā€™ll get onto my man.