Limerick GAA - Box Office

TJ Ryan did score a goal in that match, assisted by George Frend, Gary Kirby did not score a goal in the match.

2 Likes

Where is @dodgy_keeper?

Oh yes he did!

Oh no he didn’t …

One of the strangest matches I was ever at

TJ was in the vicinity when George Frend layed it on for him. about 6:20 on the old video here.
A great days drinking was had in Cork afterwards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXHEXmkCxyU

1 Like

There was a lot of talk about that being a square ball but the replay shows it clearly wasnt

1 Like

Ouch…

I went back and watched the first 15 minutes of that, not a ball caught from a puck out. Just vicious overhead pulls by both sides. No one even tried to catch, because you’d lose your hand or your head. It’s a wonder more lads weren’t seriously hurt.
What happened to overhead pulling? Was it when helmets became compulsory so lads no longer had to bat to protect their face? An under utilised tool imo. Be a lot better than letting lads catch it over your head anyway as the Limerick forwards have been doing for the last while.
A few great ground strokes in it as well, if the ball pops up just let rip.
Hip & whip. It’s in our dna

2 Likes

Both matches were! That was a pretty good Tipp team, Noel Sheehy missing the replay left a few gaps in the full back line.

Ah fantastic stuff. Tipp full back line were torn asunder under the high ball. Twinkeltoes O’Neill was on fire that day.

Declan Ryan was some hurler. He’s running riot here

It’s all about posession now, nothing is left to chance. An overhead pull leads to an unpredictable outcome.

Declan Ryan executed a perfect one on Jim Cashman’s hand in the 1991 Munster Final Replay.

Ya I get that, but the only predictable outcome when our forwards compete for the ball is the other side come out with it.
It’s great to watch.

Nicky English and Pat Fox’s last match for Tipp :sob:

Bring back the small boss hurleys

Definitely great to watch, munster championship was even more box office back then.

Owen O’Neill couldn’t hurl spuds to a duck , but he was fair effective

As I was once “complimented” about my hurling : for a player with very limited ability you can do great stuff

1 Like